Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

c5/c6 chrome wheels polish and protectant ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Stingray22
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default c5/c6 chrome wheels polish and protectant ?

Can anyone tell me what product works the best,to polish and protect chrome wheels.?
Old 09-11-2012, 05:07 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Chrome Wheels

If you've ever seen a brilliant shine on a wheel with a mirror like finish, you were probably looking at chrome. Although a chrome wheel looks great when clean, they are somewhat difficult to maintain and keep looking new. Chrome is easily damaged by brake dust and road debris.

Chrome wheels should not be used in the winter. It is extremely soft finish and once you get a chip in the finish, water, salt corrosion etc can easily get under the chrome plating causing it to fail.

1. Clean wheel surface with P21S Total Auto Wash

2. Remove any road tar (bitumen) using Optimum Power Clean ™

3. For normal brake dust clean surfaces with P21S Wheel Cleaner, a mild balanced pH cleaner

4. For badly brake dust soiled surfaces use Aquartz IronX (see note 1) formulated with neutralised acid salt. Spray onto wheel surface; allow reacting, and then agitating with a wheel brush before hosing off.
5. Use P21S® Polishing Soap – formulated with polishing clay and soap flakes, a mild wheel cleaner that's pH balanced making it simple, gentle, and effective. Its primary function is to return metal to its stock finish. It will remove a lot of the tarnish from their finish, along with any other contaminants. It can also be used on lightly tarnished aluminium, exhaust tips, or any other tarnished metals.

6. P21S® Finish Restorer - this product is primarily a polish, used for metals to refine their finish as opposed to a cleaning product to remove contaminants from metal finishes. These two products can be used together, first using the polishing soap and then the finish restorer. Finish restorer can be used on its own on metal that is only lightly tarnished.

7. Using a wheel bush (Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brush or Wheel Woolies ) to agitate cleaning product will make them more effective and help to get into hard to reach places

Note; Do not use any kind of acid on compromised finishes i.e. curbed, pealing or chipped chrome plating
Old 09-11-2012, 08:45 AM
CyberGrayGS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use Rejex on mine. Keeps them nice and slick, so that the brake dust comes off easily.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:24 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

If the wheels are chrome, not high polished, then use:

1. Griots Chrome Wheel Cleaner
2. Chrome Specific Polish from Mothers (can use Powerball as needed)
3. Seal with wheel specific sealant or G-Techniq Wheel Armour
Old 09-11-2012, 10:23 PM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

I try to keep up with my chrome wheels and not let them get bad because I'm afraid of what having to use a heavy cleaner and rubbing brake dust off will do to them.
I really love the way they look, but they are high maintenance.
I usually start my wash routine with my wheels. A good strong rinse, followed by a spray down with a dilluted all purpose cleaner, and agitate with a long wheel brush (forget the name) on the barrels and and soft Boars Hair wheel brush on the chrome does the trick. I have another smaller brush I use to get around the lug nuts.
I have the Daytona Speed brush and although it works ok it winds up being a bit of a knucklebuster because it isn't very rigid so I don't often use it.
Anything I use on the wheels doesn't go near the finish on the car. Never ever.
After I do the wheels I wash the rest of the car with a whole other list of stuff.
I blow the wheels dry along with the rest of the car, then I usually apply a coat of Rejex.
I don't know if it's the staying on top of them (I wash my C6 just about every time I use it), the Rejex, or a combination of both, but my chrome wheels still look like they did the day I got the car.
If the barrels get a little dirtier I hit them with Sonus. I've been using it recently (mainly on the daily drivers which get a lot dirtier) and I really like it. Many people work hard and do a great job on the outer finished surfaces of the wheels but forget about the barrels. I keep them clean even on the daily drivers.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:31 PM
cegusa
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the chrome GS wheels and try to keep them looking as good as they did on day 1. Currently I am not driving in mucky conditions so usually it is just a coat of dust. I went with Ceramic pads so even brake dust is minimal. I have used the Griot's chrome wheel cleaner with great results but what I did find is that even that had some spotting impact on the dull grey finish of the rotor centers or "hats". That didn't look good so I painted them with silver caliper and rotor paint and now only use a wheel cleaner when build up is moderate. typically I wash the wheels with whatever car wash product I'm using and clean the barrels with a Daytona brush. Rejex on the barrels helps substantially. Other than the rotor hats being a silver color instead of the OE grey color, the wheels on my car probably look better than day 1.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Stingray22
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default wheels

Thanks Guys you have help me with the Ideas .

Get notified of new replies

To c5/c6 chrome wheels polish and protectant ?

Quick Reply: c5/c6 chrome wheels polish and protectant ?