Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Project LMB - Amateur style

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 05:09 PM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Project LMB - Amateur style

Hi everyone, wanted to share a project I am planning on working on tonight and hopefully finishing tomorrow before I head out of two for two weeks.

I posted a few days ago asking about my pre-purchase list that I had built in hopes to get some experienced feedback. All in all, I'd like to thank everyone who suggested a product or gave feedback. I ended up going all-in with Adam's products for my first run at detailing my 2007 LeMans Blue Z06.

Here's what arrived, express, via Adams direct

Purchase includes:
Adam's Starter Porter Cable 7424 XP Polisher Kit
Adam's Super VRT Tire & Trim Dressing
Adam's Grit Guard Insert
Adam's Leather & Interior Cleaner
Adam's Leather & Interior Conditioner
Adam's Car Wash Trio
Rolling Stool

All pads/micro fiber towels, mitt, etc was including in the kits or thrown in as freebies.

And, here's the platform

Last edited by ralphsmithiii; 09-14-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:33 PM
cegusa
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice collection of products. You are in good shape. One thing I don't see is the complimentary mint they throw in the box
Old 09-14-2012, 06:42 PM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

Originally Posted by cegusa
Nice collection of products. You are in good shape. One thing I don't see is the complimentary mint they throw in the box
Mario threw in three, actually
Old 09-15-2012, 08:26 AM
CheckeredFlag
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

looking forward to more pics
Old 09-15-2012, 01:09 PM
ZO ZICK
Team Owner

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Looks like you have everything you need!

Personally I have used many Detail Products in the past.

I currently use the following on my LMB Z06

Meguiars Clay
Meguires 105 Ultra Cut (Lake Country Yellow Pad)
Meguires 205 Ultra Cut (Lake Country Orange Pad)
Menzerna IP2000 Polish (Lake Country White Pad)
Menzerna FF3000 Final Polish (Lake Country Red Pad)
Sonax Premium Class Wax (Hand)
Black Light Hybrid Radiant Finish (Lake Country Red Pad)

Old 09-15-2012, 10:02 PM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

Sorry for the late update. For those of you who haven't used a Porter Cable for paint correction or have attempted paint correction before, it can be a very time consuming task. I can also see that with more experience, the job can be done much quicker or possibly just switching over to a stronger polisher such as the Flex.

Anyhow,

I did finish my first attempt to do a full paint correction of my Z. It was pretty hot outside as well as in my garage. I must of underestimated the severity of my swirl marks and mis-purchased the wrong Adam's kit. After two runs of their 2-stage swirl removal, I was able to clean the paint up quite a bit. However, there was still more swirls and hard water stain etchings in the paint that I would of liked to see.

Being that are clears are pretty hard from the factory, I may need to step up to a more abrasive polish. I wasn't able to take any after pictures that are worth posting because there was an overcast when I went to take pictures. With the overcast, the car looked brand new, but walking close by and looking at the hood at a slight angle I could see all of the imperfections.

Overall, it was a very good learning experience and I'll try my hand at it again in two weeks when I'm back in town and have another day to go at the paint.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:03 PM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

I have a PC and a Flex. The Flex does a much better job IMHO. The PC shhould do the job though. You might have to go with a more aggressive polish/pad combo and work youur way back to perfection from there.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:45 PM
0David-Fermani
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

I like that detailing stool!
Old 09-16-2012, 05:46 PM
ZO ZICK
Team Owner

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by JVM225
I have a PC and a Flex. The Flex does a much better job IMHO. The PC shhould do the job though. You might have to go with a more aggressive polish/pad combo and work youur way back to perfection from there.
Thats exactly what I said, I recommend it Meguiars 105/205
Old 09-17-2012, 04:49 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by JVM225
The Flex is just so much better. I have 4 Porter Cables in my detailing shop and every one of them is broken. Good god they are pathetic for industrial type use. I have had them repaired now going on the 3rd time under warranty. If I have to pay they are getting tossed in the garbage.
The Flex just keeps going and going.
As far as the PC's,. one just quit running, had it repaired, 15 minutes of use and it quit running.
Two of them would heat up so bad you needed gloves to hold them. Sent them in for repair and the same issue. We even used duct tape and put on the tape - "OVERHEATS" They came back and overheated.
The fourth, we dropped and the shaft broke. Oh please a little drop and these things are so tender they break.

We are trying the new 3D Polisher and really like it so far. I think we have done at least 30 cars with it, and no issues at all.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:16 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

You probably need a more aggressive product like HD Uno or M105, maybe also try a Microfiber Cutting Pad
Old 09-17-2012, 12:36 PM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

Adam's has their severe swirl removal polish http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-554-a...ar-polish.aspx and pad which I don't have. I'm not sure how comparable it is to the other products, but at least on their website it's gotten favorable reviews.

I emailed Adams to ask about it since it's what I originally assumed I ordered over the phone. I have also heard nothing but praise for Adam's 105/205 combo and was originally going to purchase that before someone suggested I check out the Adam's products.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:18 PM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

Originally Posted by Richard Kashinsky
Hi Ralph,
Glad the Adam's products arrived. As I said before if you have any questions just call. I will be home this evening and I'll walk you through anything you may need help with. Looking at your car you just might need Severe Swirl and Adam's green pad. It's really hard to tell from the photos. Wash and dry, clay, Swirl and Haze, Fine Machine Polish and the last step is Machine Super Sealant. A note on the Porter Cable. I used the 7424 for 12 years without a failure. I started using and selling the 7424XP when it came out a while back with the same excellent results. I use the XP and the Flex in the clinics I hold for Corvette Clubs on the East Coast. Follow the instructions in the videos and you'll be just fine.
Richard Kashinsky
Adam's Premium Car Care Products
Distributor and East Coast Clinic Coordinator
336 408 4433
Thanks for the info Richard. I was able to get in contact with Ashley over at Adams and explain my situation. I wanted to pick up a couple of other products that I forget the first time around and she not only hooked me up with the Severe Swirl remover and green pad but threw in free shipping. Their customer service is most definitely top notch.

If for some reason this doesn't work, then I'll look into the Meguiars route. I did spend sometime watching Junk Man's video's on Youtube, as he is also a member of many car forums including Adam's forums. His technique is different and helped me understand a different approach to polishing with the Porter Cable XP. I may try his approach in a couple of weeks when I get home on one panel and check the results.

Get notified of new replies

To Project LMB - Amateur style

Quick Reply: Project LMB - Amateur style