Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Stained seat belts

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 06:25 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 307 Posts

Default Stained seat belts

What is the best cleaner for stained seat belts?

Clif
Old 11-26-2014, 11:19 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,487 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

When I purchased my 96 Collector Edition coupe with light gray interior, the belts were very stained. I used a hand held "Rug Doctor" cleaner with their supplier cleaner and made multiple passes to remove the stains, make the belts "as new" condition wise, without compromising the integrity of the seat belt material.

I am sure there may be other responses, but this is what worked for me.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:48 AM
CheckeredFlag
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

A friend of mine had a late 60's Mustang with stained seat belts, and he got most of it out with Dawn dishwashing soap and a toothbrush.

If I remember right, he also used some Meguiar's Carpet and upholstery cleaner ...
Old 11-27-2014, 07:49 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I have seen many seat belts that are discolored and damaged from cleaning. My guess is that the material is not color fast and more porous than other materials. My wife once got makeup on her seatbelt and I mixed up a little Oxi-clean and it made nice work of it. I spritzed on it, lightly agitated with fingers, and immediately spritzed with clean warm water.

Someone else suggest carpet cleaner .... as with anything even my past suggestion, handle with care and test in a small inconspicuous spot first.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:24 PM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 636 Likes on 342 Posts

In my detailing shop we use Zep Degreaser(Lowes, Home Depot, etc) and a pot scrubbing brush, available at any hardware, or supermarket) Pull the seat belt out all the way, tie a knot as high as you can so it does not rewind. Spray the Zepon the belt, and scrub, spray again and scrub, then rinse with clear water, several times. Let it dry.
The issue with using Dawn or other soaps that do not get removed, is the dirt accumulates twice as fast over time. Zep is not as sudsy as Dawn, or other equal soaps, and it does an incredible job of cutting the dirt/finger oils and when well rinsed, will keep the seat belt clean for a very longtime(Your experience will vary)

Get notified of new replies

To Stained seat belts

Quick Reply: Stained seat belts