Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Please help me restore my Z51 chrome wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 06:14 PM
Jim D.
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Window stickers and other informational materials are pretty exact with regard to what they call modern Corvette wheel finishes, or else they'd be in trouble.

For example:

- Chrome is chrome plate.

- Aluminum alloy wheel, cast aluminum wheel, or silver-painted aluminum wheel are common terms for a coated or painted and coated wheel. This terminology varies based on model year and might include the term "forged" for a premium wheel.

- Polished aluminum is polished aluminum, but with a clearcoat -- it's the term "clearcoat" term that they normally leave off on the descriptor. And these are commonly confused with chrome, but never called chrome in official writings. They are ALWAYS clearcoated at the factory. Like the above wheel, this might include the term "forged" for a premium wheel.

I'll say clearly it's the sales staff, and GM brands are not alone in calling anything bright-looking as chrome, probably since that's what makes the most profit and sales guys are often... sales guys.

Like I mentioned above, PVD chrome and chrome clad are other common OEM options, but I've yet to see these on Corvettes, though they are abundant in the aftermarket (including from a wheel website with OEM in their name).
The following users liked this post:
JoshVette (04-26-2017)

Quick Reply: Please help me restore my Z51 chrome wheels