Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Microfiber Lint...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 10:07 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Received 412 Likes on 215 Posts

Default Microfiber Lint...

Hello All....

I have been having some issues with microfiber lint that I thought I'd get some opinions on.

A while back I bought a few new microfiber:

http://www.autogeek.net/cobra-jr-microfiber-towels.html

I used them for a few things and found myself wanting more of them, so I bought a much larger pack.

The 1st small batch I bought was fantastic, but the 2nd, larger batch, the towels give off a lot of lint. (And the 2nd larger batch-the towels feel a bit "thinner' if that makes sense) Lint that just stays stuck on the car, unless I wipe it with another microfiber-and even then, not all of it comes off. It direct, harsh sunlight it looks like little scratches, but they are not.

Overall, these microfiber do a great job-even just bought a few more, but I'd like the lint to take a hike.

-They are not old. They have been doing it since day 1.
-They are washed at least once a week with Microrestore.
-They are used for wax removal and/or detail sprays

Thoughts?
Old 05-30-2017, 01:44 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Sounds like a product issue They stand behind their products 100%. Have you contacted them about this issue before posting?

Last edited by Grzldvt1; 05-30-2017 at 01:46 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:00 AM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1
Sounds like a product issue They stand behind their products 100%. Have you contacted them about this issue before posting?
No, this post was more about seeing if anybody else had an issue. Whether it was with this microfiber or another, and how they took care of the issue. In looking through some older posts people always asked if the microfibers were older, or how they were washed. If somebody had a different microfiber cleaning product that helped-that is what I was looking for.

If the manufacturer or reseller had input, that would be fine too.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:53 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

I always wash mine before the first use in Micro Restore just to make sure there are no contaminates in the new towels. That being said, you should always wash them by themselves in a micrfiber detergent. Wash on Permanent Press, warm water, second rinse with vinegar. Never use fabric softener. Dry on low heat for about 30 minutes. Proper washing has everything to do with the longevity of the towels. They will wear out and begin to come apart after a while, just recycle them down to general cleaning tasks. Autogeek is very good about standing behind their products. I would contact them and discuss what your concerns are.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:45 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
I always wash mine before the first use in Micro Restore just to make sure there are no contaminates in the new towels. That being said, you should always wash them by themselves in a micrfiber detergent. Wash on Permanent Press, warm water, second rinse with vinegar. Never use fabric softener. Dry on low heat for about 30 minutes. Proper washing has everything to do with the longevity of the towels. They will wear out and begin to come apart after a while, just recycle them down to general cleaning tasks. Autogeek is very good about standing behind their products. I would contact them and discuss what your concerns are.
I do all the same stuff-except the vinegar thing.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:11 PM
rsparks64
Drifting

Received 278 Likes on 160 Posts

I just threw away four fairly new blue ones. They were either Autogeek or Griot's Garage. They threw a lot of lint when used with several different things (detail spray, spray wax, and even glass cleaner), so it was not caused by a particular ingredient. I did not notice it at first. They did not have the usual microfiber look, but were very soft and plush like. They were all washed befor use and at least one other time. I even use the Pinnacle microfiber cleaner/rejuvenator. They were used three or four times at most. That is the only problem I have ever had.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:12 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

When drying micro fiber towels, is it bad to throw in a couple dryer ***** (round rubber like ***** that have a bunch of pointy nipples on them) to fluff up the towels??

I know not to use softener or dryer sheets but I figured the dryer ***** might help fluff up the fibers a little more. Any thoughts on this??
Old 05-31-2017, 01:06 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Since you maintain your towels correctly they must be part of a bad batch. I would contact Autogeek and explain what is going on and ask for replacements. They used to be very good about replacements but since the company has sold last year I don't know how they are now on replacements now.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:41 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the thoughts ALL.

I've been busy the last few days, but did contact autogeek. They'd like to see some photos of the lint, then they are willing to give a discount on some other towels. I do all my car cleaning on the weekends, so the photos will have to wait. But they do seem willing to offer some assistance, with some proof-which I totally understand.

Feel free to keep the thoughts coming.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:50 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Autogeek has a large variety of microfiber towels. I use the gray color. Not too bad as lint is concerned. I would call them and ask which has the least amount of lint

http://www.autogeek.net/mfchart.html
Old 06-07-2017, 07:10 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by enventr
Autogeek has a large variety of microfiber towels. I use the gray color. Not too bad as lint is concerned. I would call them and ask which has the least amount of lint

http://www.autogeek.net/mfchart.html
I did contact them and they are willing to work with me once I show them some photos of the lint. Because of the weather I was not able to get any good photos this past weekend. When I wash them, I have been rinsing them extra to try and get rid of the lint and it does seem to be getting better, but it's been about 6 months now. I'm not too concerned at this point.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:57 AM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by 91LSMAN
Hello All....

I have been having some issues with microfiber lint that I thought I'd get some opinions on.

A while back I bought a few new microfiber:

http://www.autogeek.net/cobra-jr-microfiber-towels.html

I used them for a few things and found myself wanting more of them, so I bought a much larger pack.

The 1st small batch I bought was fantastic, but the 2nd, larger batch, the towels give off a lot of lint. (And the 2nd larger batch-the towels feel a bit "thinner' if that makes sense) Lint that just stays stuck on the car, unless I wipe it with another microfiber-and even then, not all of it comes off. It direct, harsh sunlight it looks like little scratches, but they are not.

Overall, these microfiber do a great job-even just bought a few more, but I'd like the lint to take a hike.

-They are not old. They have been doing it since day 1.
-They are washed at least once a week with Microrestore.
-They are used for wax removal and/or detail sprays

Thoughts?
I have found that too much product and humidity causes linting on the surfaces

Clif
Old 06-19-2017, 06:15 PM
tampatopless
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have problems also with recently purchased microfiber towels from AutoGeek. The worst ones are the purple ones with the black trim. And they were expensive.

In fact, after only one use and one wash, it appears as if the seam where the purple meets the black is actually fraying.

Bought about two weeks ago. Lint was horrible out of the package.

Does anyone even inspect this crap?
Old 06-19-2017, 06:24 PM
joeybsyc
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 219 Posts

Yep, i've had the issue multiple times. I ALWAYS get lint from those borderless ultra plush jobs like Zaino blondes and similar. Heard so many great things about them and they DO "feel" nice, but apparently no one who raves about them owns black cars. Also had a few Adams single softs that linted like crazy no matter what I did. They did exchange them for new ones that worked. I've found that if you have towels that lint, nothing you're going to do is going to stop it aside from getting a different towel. Tried washing, boiling, etc. and the towels that left lint STILL left lint. Recently been using griots garage PFM towels for just about everything and have no complaints aside from the fact they snag easily.

Last edited by joeybsyc; 06-19-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:52 PM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I've been happy with my Rag company towels. The lower gsm ones work great if you are having issues with thicker ones.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:06 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tampatopless
I have problems also with recently purchased microfiber towels from AutoGeek. The worst ones are the purple ones with the black trim. And they were expensive.

In fact, after only one use and one wash, it appears as if the seam where the purple meets the black is actually fraying.

Bought about two weeks ago. Lint was horrible out of the package.

Does anyone even inspect this crap?
I believe you are talking about the same ones I mentioned above. I have not sent autogeek any photos yet. I plan to clean 3-4 cars this coming weekend, so we'll see what happens.

Get notified of new replies

To Microfiber Lint...

Quick Reply: Microfiber Lint...