Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Freshly Waxed Shine

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 09:45 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Default Freshly Waxed Shine

Immediately after waxing black cars, I find that proverbial wet look shine is there.

That shine seems to disappear 24 hours later, no mater which product brand.

Okay... is it just me?
Old 07-05-2017, 12:21 PM
WIC7Diver
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Everything shows up on black. It's kind of a losing battle, but dust is first to show and God forbid you get caught in the rain. At least if you have the right Sealant / Wax combo, the clean up should be easier.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:25 PM
Red Devil
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Just had Ceramic Pro applied to my Carbon Flash and it's pretty impressive.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:25 PM
justplainjim
Drifting

Received 355 Likes on 220 Posts

Maybe give it boost with a good detail spray..
Old 07-06-2017, 02:36 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
That shine seems to disappear 24 hours later, no mater which product brand.
Zaino will fix that problem! I think any polymer polish will do the same, but I KNOW Zaino works great on black.

Tom
Old 07-06-2017, 11:44 PM
WIC7Diver
Instructor

Originally Posted by TCW
Zaino will fix that problem! I think any polymer polish will do the same, but I KNOW Zaino works great on black.

Tom
Sorry but I have to disagree. Polish is meant to correct damage in paint- what the op is looking for is something that will keep his black car looking clean. If you take a polish to a car without first properly cleaning it, you're doomed to scratch the hell out of it. Taking "any polymer polish" to your dirty car and you're asking for swirl city if not outright damage to your clear coat.

Yes Zaino works great but which product? I think you mean their sealant.

OP- I think what you're looking for is what combination of product will help to keep your black car looking clean and shinny between proper wash cycles.

From a conventional way, I always found that after a proper paint correction was completed to use Sealant, let it cure then a good carnuba wax over that. It proved good protection and made the next several washes much easier.

Ceramic coatings are also an option and once I get more than a few hours in my schedule, I'll be applying the Adams system to my C7. I'll certainly document the process and share my results.

In the mean time I'll see if I can find a shot of my black Camaro and what it looked like using the conventional method mentioned above and post.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:05 AM
WIC7Diver
Instructor

Here's my paint after a proper polish, sealant and wax application.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:14 AM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by TCW
I did this one today with Zaino AIO with a topper of Clear Seal.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:56 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Thanks for the replies.

I'll try to clarify...car is corrected, polished and carnauba (not a cleaner wax) wax applied.

(Disclaimer...we all know black painted/ waxed cars look good for about 10 minutes.. until the dust settles)

What I am asking/ stating is that after a fresh wax the car has the "wet look."

24 hours later that "wet look" is gone and detail spray does not seem to return that wet look.

Is it just me...are the chemicals in the wax evaporating away?

What will return the "wet look" is adding additional carnauba wax (or a glaze).

Again maybe it is just me and/or the nature of carnauba.
For fun I prefer the natural waxes over synthetic or sealers.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:01 AM
WIC7Diver
Instructor

I usually use a sealant then Wax. For me the sealant offers that extra kick of wet, plus it changes the hydrophobic properties of the surface once it cures. Then the wax goes on top of that creating a pretty hard base. Then.....

If the dust is light enough I'll either just blow it off and reapply some detail spray or if it's heavier but not sticking, I'll use my California Duster (there is a proper way to use it) to remove the dust then hit it with detail spray.

Yes admittedly I'm a Adams fan and especially their Detail spray. That seems to me to really bring back the wet look you're describing, but only providing the recommended application of sealant and then wax is applied first.

I have used a combination of Zaino's sealant and Adams Americana before with really good lasting results.

But I do get the frustration with sold black and even with all my detail tricks, I was glad to get rid of my Camaro C5 vert and get a gray C7 wth some metal flake in the paint.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:06 PM
WIC7Diver
Instructor

Ran across this video from Larry at Ammo and thought of our discussion. His product Ammo is a boutique brand, but take product out of the equation and listen to what he's saying about when to wash it and when to use a technique like the one he's recommending. Obviously there's a point, but it's rather subjective for everyone. As long as you're happy with the results, that's what matters.

A few guys in the Camaro forum have used his products and his techniques are somewhat different than the conventional processes, but it's another resource I use to compare and contrast my own techniques against in search for that perfect shine, particularly in between details.

Hope it helps.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:40 PM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Interesting. I don't agree about the water blade--if a quality one, potentially harming the paint. It is pushing water, not spreading it like the mf towel. Anything it pushes is well lubricated by the water. But my question is: what does he mean by "hydrate"? What product is he using? I've never heard of a specific product to hydrate the paint, other than it being included in waxes/sealants.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:34 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

If you apply a quick coat of Glaze it will make your paint pop.
And the great thing about glaze is it will not build up like wax will.

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exteri...ant-glaze.html
Old 08-25-2017, 12:00 PM
Sprongs
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree about the glaze, it will give you a wet look. IMHO the best glaze is no longer made,
Danase Wet Glaze 2.0. Nothing today comes close. A few good ones but most are overpriced and over rated.

Last edited by Sprongs; 08-25-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:29 PM
WIC7Diver
Instructor

Originally Posted by corvetteflier
Interesting. I don't agree about the water blade--if a quality one, potentially harming the paint. It is pushing water, not spreading it like the mf towel. Anything it pushes is well lubricated by the water. But my question is: what does he mean by "hydrate"? What product is he using? I've never heard of a specific product to hydrate the paint, other than it being included in waxes/sealants.
He uses one of his products called "Hydrate". I've never used it but from watching his videos I believe it's a multiuse product used to promote drying and like detail spray(I think) . Like I said his stuff is really niche (boutique) and he some of these types of products but that wasn't the point of the video share. More of when to wash
The following users liked this post:
corvetteflier (08-26-2017)
Old 08-26-2017, 10:30 AM
yamabob
Drifting

Received 743 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprongs
I agree about the glaze, it will give you a wet look. IMHO the best glaze is no longer made,
Danase Wet Glaze 2.0. Nothing today comes close. A few good ones but most are overpriced and over rated.
I agree. I'm sad as I'm down to my last 9 bottles
Old 08-27-2017, 12:46 PM
Sprongs
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I wish I had just one bottle.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:28 PM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Black really isn't a color, its a full time second job....

After two black daily drivers, I tapped out and have bought tan and white vehicles. Life is good again.....

And so much easier.....

Get notified of new replies

To Freshly Waxed Shine

Quick Reply: Freshly Waxed Shine