Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Tips for Saving Gas While Driving Your Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 04:17 PM
Curated Content Editor
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 915 Likes on 461 Posts
Default Tips for Saving Gas While Driving Your Corvette

Tips for Saving Gas While Driving Your Corvette
by Bassem Girgis
Old 07-06-2017, 01:14 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,164 Likes on 2,250 Posts

We bought the Corvette because it's a sport car with lots of power that we want to use. We didn't buy it to worry about gas mileage
The following users liked this post:
1pt4brd (10-25-2023)
Old 07-06-2017, 06:53 AM
George Washnak
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
We bought the Corvette because it's a sport car with lots of power that we want to use. We didn't buy it to worry about gas mileage
I agree completely! If I really want to save gas, instead of driving the heck out of it, I'd leave it sitting in the garage for whomever buys it from my estate to enjoy.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:11 AM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

This needs to be sent to Prius forum
Attached Images  
Old 07-06-2017, 04:17 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Tips for saving gas in a 496 big block.

Don't drive it.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:55 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

The best method I have found is keep your foot out of it. The ultimate gas saving method is parking it in the garage and just look at it.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:16 PM
molecule
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It is my economy car my truck has never cracked 20mpg
The following users liked this post:
03tripleblack (01-30-2024)
Old 07-12-2017, 12:23 PM
The boss
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

My ZR1 use less gas than my Grand Caravan
Old 07-12-2017, 12:30 PM
scottcolbath
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by George Washnak
I agree completely! If I really want to save gas, instead of driving the heck out of it, I'd leave it sitting in the garage for whomever buys it from my estate to enjoy.

Seriously, if I'm taking my Vette up to Vegas, or just driving to work, I'm not going to have my foot in it all the time. Hell, the car gets 29 MPG on the highway. I'll enjoy that. But when I need to pass some slowpoke, I'll surely get on it as well.

S.C.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:22 PM
soondg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As someone else mentioned, my Corvette is my economy car. It definitely gets better gas mileage than my wife's Ford Edge SUV, or my lifted Bronco. Even when I put my foot into it.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:27 PM
scottcolbath
Instructor

Originally Posted by soondg
As someone else mentioned, my Corvette is my economy car. It definitely gets better gas mileage than my wife's Ford Edge SUV, or my lifted Bronco. Even when I put my foot into it.
I drove a Honda Civic from 2006 through 2014 which only got 33 MPG. The wife totaled it and I replaced it with my 99 FRC, which as I stated, gets 29 MPG. Why the hell did I not know this back in 2006? I would have picked up a used C5 then and enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than driving a POS Civic every day.

S.C.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:14 PM
soondg
Instructor

We all have things in our past we'd rather forget, I have found it is better to put it behind me and move forward. We can never recapture those Lost Years, so, I just enjoy the day and look forward to the future. Enjoy your driving.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:20 PM
scottcolbath
Instructor

We all have things in our past we'd rather forget, I have found it is better to put it behind me and move forward. We can never recapture those Lost Years, so, I just enjoy the day and look forward to the future. Enjoy your driving.
Damn, I wish I could be that way. I worry about the past, present and future, all the time.

Seriously, I'm a worrier, and I always look back to remember mistakes I've made and try to not make them again. But I like your outlook, and I do try to not live in the past, but only take from it the lessons learned.

S.C.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:33 PM
soondg
Instructor

Originally Posted by scottcolbath
Damn, I wish I could be that way. I worry about the past, present and future, all the time.

Seriously, I'm a worrier, and I always look back to remember mistakes I've made and try to not make them again. But I like your outlook, and I do try to not live in the past, but only take from it the lessons learned.

S.C.
I definitely subscribe 2 using the past to prevent making mistakes in the present or future, I just don't linger there. Except for some classic rock. I I have I have been guilty of putting on some good old music and zoning out with memories attached.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:37 PM
scottcolbath
Instructor

I had Foghat Live cranked up to 11 this morning in the FRC on the way to work. Nothing wrong with some good ol' rock and roll.

S.C.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:39 PM
soondg
Instructor

I had Foghat Live cranked up to 11 this morning in the FRC on the way to work. Nothing wrong with some good ol' rock and roll.

S.C.
My wife works part-time on the weekends in banquets the place she works at has a house DJ. We have become friendly with him and his wife, so, he switched all his music onto a computer program and gave my wife all of his CDs for me. It has every genre from the twenties to current day. I sat in the car the other day for about 2 hours just listening to some of the music and watching my life pass before my eyes. A song came on, I remember what girl I dated, another song came on I remember if I was at the shore, at a party, whatever I was doing. The songs were bringing back a flood of memories, if my wife had brought my meals out to the car I probably would have stayed out there for a couple of days. You're right, there's nothing wrong with some good old rock and roll, or do wop, or Sinatra, just some good old music.

Last edited by soondg; 07-12-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:13 PM
j14152
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sophomoric

Originally Posted by Curated Content Editor
I like to "get on" my C7 from time to time, but it as more economical to drive (gas-wise) than my 6 cyl. SUV. Surprisingly, occasional hard acceleration doesn't use much extra gas.

Squeezing mileage from my C7 is almost like a game, when I want to play. There are a lot of ways to save gas, but slow and easy acceleration is not one of them. Higher combustion temperatures are more efficient, per the Carnot cycle, which describes the thermodynamics of an internal combustion engine. Keeping the engine rpm down and the torque on the high side saves gas. I found 1100-1300 rpm is most economical, when that's possible. If I want to bother, "pulse cruise," or accelerating at low engine rpm, then coasting, can save gas. Riding in a line of vehicles on the Interstate saves some gas. Every time you brake, the harder and longer you brake, that costs gas. Accelerating and coasting downhill and slowing uphill saves gas. Many other factors affect mileage - road surface, wind speed and direction, other nearby vehicles, rain, temperature, altitude, even humidity. Cruise control can save gas if one is a bit lazy, too. But like most of you think - who cares??

Get notified of new replies

To Tips for Saving Gas While Driving Your Corvette

Old 10-20-2023, 06:12 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

S.C.
Old 10-20-2023, 06:13 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

I definitely subscribe 2 using the past to prevent making mistakes in the present or future, I just don't linger there. Except for some classic rock. I I have I have been guilty of putting on some good old music and zoning out with memories attached.

Old 10-20-2023, 09:00 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,164 Likes on 2,250 Posts

If you’re concerned about saving gas buy a Tesla!
The following 2 users liked this post by Maxie2U:
GTS Bruce (10-20-2023), LS WON (10-20-2023)

Quick Reply: Tips for Saving Gas While Driving Your Corvette