Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Windshield Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 07:26 AM
HMannini
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Windshield Scratches

I bought a set of C6 Wipers and installed them and I was in the rain for just a short period and it looks like the wiper blades scored/scratched my windshield. Is there a way to buff it out, what product should I use?
Old 07-13-2017, 09:24 AM
NmtMev
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

Clean the windshield with with glass cleaner then.....run your fingernail over the scratch, if you can barely feel the scratch you can have a temporary fix that lasts a good long while..

super clean windshield
apply by hand your cleaner wax to scratched area.
use orbital buffer (not high speed just to really get in there)
buff it off.
All this does is fill in the scratch and makes it way less visible. Try it out, I hope that helps Ya!

Deep scratches need to be professionally removed/filled with Cerium Oxide solution and a high speed buffer. You can do it yourself as well pretty much the same process as stated above.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:43 AM
HMannini
Drifting

Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Thanks for the info, these scratches are from the wiper blades that were attached to the wiper arms that I bought. It looks like they may have been old and hard causing the scoring, it's not deep but just washing the window doesn't get rid of them. I did put new blades on.

Originally Posted by NmtMev
Clean the windshield with with glass cleaner then.....run your fingernail over the scratch, if you can barely feel the scratch you can have a temporary fix that lasts a good long while..

super clean windshield
apply by hand your cleaner wax to scratched area.
use orbital buffer (not high speed just to really get in there)
buff it off.
All this does is fill in the scratch and makes it way less visible. Try it out, I hope that helps Ya!

Deep scratches need to be professionally removed/filled with Cerium Oxide solution and a high speed buffer. You can do it yourself as well pretty much the same process as stated above.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:58 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

There are some glass polishes (cerium oxide based) out there that may correct very minor abrasions and buff out etched water spots, but beyond a certain point, I have found it easier to just buy new glass. I replaced my '08 C6 glass for $350 by buying the 2005 non-onstar/non-hud windshield.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:06 PM
NmtMev
Drifting

Originally Posted by mike100
There are some glass polishes (cerium oxide based) out there that may correct very minor abrasions and buff out etched water spots, but beyond a certain point, I have found it easier to just buy new glass. I replaced my '08 C6 glass for $350 by buying the 2005 non-onstar/non-hud windshield.
agreed with Mike100, try out some stuff and see where it goes from there. If it's really messing with you while driving just get the glass replaced. I have an older Accord i just keep around and same thing happened. There's like 10 scratches on the windshield. When I buff it out every 6 months or so only the deepest one is visible. It's literally 5 min of work and cost me pretty much nothing since I have all the supplies.
Look on the bright side,if you don't have any of the stuff listed above its a good excuse to go buy a bunch of stuff. That way you can detail the hell out of the rest of the car while in process!
Old 07-13-2017, 02:17 PM
HMannini
Drifting

Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I just applied some polish I used to use on my C5 that's petroleum based on my windshield and buffed it with a cloth then went over it with the orbital and it looks like NEW!!!! Thanks for the ideas guys.......

Originally Posted by NmtMev
agreed with Mike100, try out some stuff and see where it goes from there. If it's really messing with you while driving just get the glass replaced. I have an older Accord i just keep around and same thing happened. There's like 10 scratches on the windshield. When I buff it out every 6 months or so only the deepest one is visible. It's literally 5 min of work and cost me pretty much nothing since I have all the supplies.
Look on the bright side,if you don't have any of the stuff listed above its a good excuse to go buy a bunch of stuff. That way you can detail the hell out of the rest of the car while in process!
Old 07-13-2017, 03:19 PM
NmtMev
Drifting

Hell Ya brother you bet! Easy $ fix right there.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:29 AM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

I had some scratches on my C6 Z06 windshield. Very low on the windshield (not in one's typical line of vision). I did find a detail shop that had glass scratch removal as one of their services, and they were able to remove all of the defects.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:33 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,253 Likes on 916 Posts

The only way moderate scratches can be removed is by professional glass polishing from a class shop. You cannot effect moderate scratch removal by a DYI process. The best way is to replace the windshield and most likely cheaper compared to professional scratch removal.

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield Scratches

Quick Reply: Windshield Scratches