Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Removing Tree Sap

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 04:44 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,267 Likes on 508 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

Default Removing Tree Sap

I'm sure at least some of you already know this, but it was new to me. Found a bunch of hardened tree sap spots and blotches on the hood & fender of my C7 today - I've been parking in that same spot (the few times I leave the car outside) for quite a while, never had the problem before. Must have just been lucky in the past. Anyway, as you can imagine, I was not happy - the stuff looked like amber resin, was rock hard, and resisted my first attempts to carefully remove it. So, I did what anyone else would do.

I Googled it.

The #1 suggestion: Hand Sanitizer. Yeah, I know, that's mostly just alcohol. I had a good coat of Rejex on the car, though, so I thought I'd give it a try. I tested an inconspicuous spot first with no ill effects, so I squirted a little on a clean microfiber towel, and that tree sap wiped right off like water. Got to tell you, I was impressed. I'm thinking that having the Rejex underneath helped avoid any issues, but if you've tried everything else, give the hand sanitizer a try. It worked for me.
The following users liked this post:
dvilin (07-25-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 08:24 AM
WIC7Diver
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Regular wash then Clay bar with your preferred clay lube first, then inspect would have been my first attempt of the whole area and at least an inch or two beyond the affected spot.

Either way you should reapply your sealant since the hand sanitizer is large parts Alcohol, as you've said and you will have stripped off your Rejex in that area with it. I would definitely inspect the spot in bright light to make sure it didn't leave anything behind and clean the area fully before reapplying.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:52 AM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

The wash & clay bar was the first thing I tried, and that didn't even touch it. And yes, I have spot re-applied Rejex to the affected areas. It's been a few days now, with both bright direct sun and a little rain, and all is well. I was just surprised how easily the hand sanitizer removed the sap - I have to assume straight isopropyl alcohol would do the same. Just offered as a tip for those who have tried everything else to get this stubborn stuff off.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:15 AM
WIC7Diver
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Sounds like we'll have to make some room on our detail shelves for some hand sanitizer!

Last edited by WIC7Diver; 07-22-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:50 AM
kmfitz
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WD 40 will remove stuff like that.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:51 AM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, I've had good luck with WD-40 in the past on other vehicles. And again, before anyone applies either hand sanitizer (alcohol) or WD-40 to their Corvette, try it in an inconspicuous place first, use the minimum necessary, and get it on and off in a hurry. Then remember to re-apply whatever wax, polish or coating you are using to the affected area. Hope your results will be as satisfactory as mine were.

Get notified of new replies

To Removing Tree Sap

Quick Reply: Removing Tree Sap