Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Should I do something to protect new wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 09:12 AM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

Default Should I do something to protect new wheels?

Normally, I would just wash/wax new wheels. Is there any benefit to applying some of the new coatings? Should it be done before or after getting tires installed and balanced? I'm not sure if the coating would interfere with the sticky weights.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:44 AM
Esoteric Detail
Supporting Vendor

Received 462 Likes on 250 Posts

We coat after mounting and balancing.

I just applied GYEON Rim to a personal set of wheels yesterday and have 2 coats of Kamikaze Stance on my daily.

The coatings will last longer, have more heat resistance, and be easier to clean for years to come vs. waxing. We highly recommend it and haven't used a wax in the shop for years.

-- Ryan at ESOTERIC
HRE Wheels . Forgeline Wheels . BBS Wheels . Akrapovic Exhaust . Fabspeed Exhaust . KW Suspension

9801 Karmar Ct. New Albany, Ohio 43054
(614) 855-6855
Contact@esotericdetail.com
EsotericDetail.com
EsotericCarCare.com
ESOTERIC on YouTube
Old 07-29-2017, 10:48 AM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,033 Likes on 609 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by PCMusicGuy
Normally, I would just wash/wax new wheels. Is there any benefit to applying some of the new coatings? Should it be done before or after getting tires installed and balanced? I'm not sure if the coating would interfere with the sticky weights.
Without a doubt, coat your wheels...and tires. The time and money (No need for wheel cleaner chems or slingin' tire dressings) you save will be considerable.

Coated all of our wheels and tires, cleanup now involves spraying with a hose, quick wipe and drying. Last wash I used a white microfiber towel to wipe and then dry wheels after hosing down, little to no dirt transferred to towels.

Cleaning wheels and tires used to be a big pain in the azz.. now it's an afterthought and the wheels and tires pretty much always look fresh.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:15 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Esoteric Auto Detail
We coat after mounting and balancing.

I just applied GYEON Rim to a personal set of wheels yesterday and have 2 coats of Kamikaze Stance on my daily.

The coatings will last longer, have more heat resistance, and be easier to clean for years to come vs. waxing. We highly recommend it and haven't used a wax in the shop for years.

-- Ryan at ESOTERIC
Can you detail exactly how much the coatings will help with cleaning of the wheels? I have issues with daily driven Range Rovers that come stock with big Brembos that stop the big heavy trucks nicely but obviously use very soft brake compounds and will dust the rims with a layer of brake dust in one 80 mile round trip (fronts 3 times the dust of the rears). If the Stance coating is applied, will brake dust really just hose off or will physical agitation still be needed to remove the brake dust? Right now the wheels are waxed with an over the counter wax and a pressure washer removes most of the dust but if you wipe with a towel it really shows how much is left.

I've never found a product that would allow me to just rinse off a wheel with brake dust to spotless condition without physical agitation....but I haven't used any of these new coatings, either. I would love to find something that would rinse the brake dust off to the point that it would pass a "white glove" test....not sure if that is possible??

What are your thoughts?
Old 07-30-2017, 08:17 AM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

I agree Coatings are the best protection for your wheels and they will clean up much easier. I don't think you will be sorry.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:24 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Esoteric,
What do you think about my post below....is it possible to have a true rinse off system for brake dust that involves no physical touching of the wheels to get them pristine?
TIA

Originally Posted by TrackAire
Can you detail exactly how much the coatings will help with cleaning of the wheels? I have issues with daily driven Range Rovers that come stock with big Brembos that stop the big heavy trucks nicely but obviously use very soft brake compounds and will dust the rims with a layer of brake dust in one 80 mile round trip (fronts 3 times the dust of the rears). If the Stance coating is applied, will brake dust really just hose off or will physical agitation still be needed to remove the brake dust? Right now the wheels are waxed with an over the counter wax and a pressure washer removes most of the dust but if you wipe with a towel it really shows how much is left.

I've never found a product that would allow me to just rinse off a wheel with brake dust to spotless condition without physical agitation....but I haven't used any of these new coatings, either. I would love to find something that would rinse the brake dust off to the point that it would pass a "white glove" test....not sure if that is possible??

What are your thoughts?
Old 08-01-2017, 01:18 PM
Esoteric Detail
Supporting Vendor

Esoteric,
What do you think about my post below....is it possible to have a true rinse off system for brake dust that involves no physical touching of the wheels to get them pristine?
TIA
To never touch the wheel... not necessarily completely possible but check this video out...

1:06 is where the washing begins.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:56 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Originally Posted by Esoteric Auto Detail
To never touch the wheel... not necessarily completely possible but check this video out...

1:06 is where the washing begins.
Thank you for your honesty. I'm very wary of people who claim a wheel can come 100% clean with either a spray on chemical or high pressure hose and not have to touch or agitate the surface.

So for the next question, which of the brands and products you handle do you recommend for the following:

1. Street driven daily driver Range Rover and Ford Super Duty both running stock pads. Would like to do rims on both and the colored calipers on the Range Rover. The rims are stock and appear to be painted (maybe powdercoated) and cleared on both trucks.

2. C5Z06 track car with aftermarket brake rotors and very high performance track pads. I'm thinking these pads are very metallic based compared to stock. Also the heat generated by the brakes and tires really gets the rims and calipers very hot. Is one ceramic type coating better for high heat situations over another? I'd like to coat the yellow AP Racing calipers also if you recommend that the coating can handle the heat. The rims are factory stock C5 Z05 Speedline rims which appear to be painted or powdercoated.

Thanks
The following users liked this post:
Esoteric Detail (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 09:16 AM
Esoteric Detail
Supporting Vendor

1. Street driven daily driver Range Rover and Ford Super Duty both running stock pads. Would like to do rims on both and the colored calipers on the Range Rover. The rims are stock and appear to be painted (maybe powdercoated) and cleared on both trucks.

2. C5Z06 track car with aftermarket brake rotors and very high performance track pads. I'm thinking these pads are very metallic based compared to stock. Also the heat generated by the brakes and tires really gets the rims and calipers very hot. Is one ceramic type coating better for high heat situations over another? I'd like to coat the yellow AP Racing calipers also if you recommend that the coating can handle the heat. The rims are factory stock C5 Z05 Speedline rims which appear to be painted or powdercoated.

Thanks
For both situations I would recommend 2 (or 3) coats of the hardest, most durable coating we offer which is GYEON Mohs... for wheels, calipers, exhaust tips, and yes even paint.

The entire kit is on sale: http://www.esotericcarcare.com/gyeon-mohs-pro-kit/

and we literally just dropped an extensive video on it this morning:

TrackAire (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 12:06 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Any idea on how many wheels/coats the GYEON Mohs rim kit can do? $45 seems like a lot for people that buy over the counter stuff, but if you can do 3 coats on two sets of wheels that may be easier to handle.

Also, on a daily driver that stays parked in the sun during the working hours of the day, what realistic duration can I expect from the coating?
Old 08-02-2017, 01:39 PM
Esoteric Detail
Supporting Vendor

Any idea on how many wheels/coats the GYEON Mohs rim kit can do? $45 seems like a lot for people that buy over the counter stuff, but if you can do 3 coats on two sets of wheels that may be easier to handle.

Also, on a daily driver that stays parked in the sun during the working hours of the day, what realistic duration can I expect from the coating?
So I just used GYEON Rim ( http://www.esotericcarcare.com/gyeon-q2-rim/ ) on a set of wheels and I may have used 15% of the bottle for 1 coat. Figure another 5 coats roughly.

I have to add that how you apply is going to change how much you use per coat. Foam applicators, which are easier to use tend to slather on more, while the included suede cloths tend to lay it on thinner which will get you more coats and is easier to buff off with a microfiber. A little goes a LONG way and the largest mistake we see newcomers make is using way too much.

Duration is of course going to vary on a variety of factors. 2 coats should get you around 2 years. The occasional wash plus a topper of some sort (like GYEON Wetcoat) will help.

-- Ryan at ESOTERIC
Old 08-04-2017, 03:08 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Okay. That sounds pretty good. Last stupid question; is there a reason the shipping charge is $15 for a small bottle?
Old 08-04-2017, 04:17 PM
Esoteric Detail
Supporting Vendor

Okay. That sounds pretty good. Last stupid question; is there a reason the shipping charge is $15 for a small bottle?
Shipping is calculated based upon location. If you can reach $75+ all orders are $5!

Last edited by Esoteric Detail; 08-04-2017 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:10 PM
JoeD-C8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

All great advice. I know this is rather OCD but remove your wheels and give them a proper washing and then coat the faces AND the barrels. The outcome will be an almost carefree experience!
Esoteric Detail (08-08-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 10:04 PM
1968swbbigblock
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 162 Posts

I have used gyeon rim on 5 sets of rims and I am a believer
I have used it on new wheels and wheels that had been driven on and the results where worth it.
I've got a new set of rims on order and they will get gyeon as soon as they arrive.
The wheels have a"wetter" look at clean easier - I also think they retain less brake dust as well.
I also coat my calipers with gyeon rim and find them much easier to clean and keep clean
Esoteric was kind enough to educate me and I've done them all myself.
Just follow the directions and make sure you start with a clean surface
Esoteric Detail (08-18-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Should I do something to protect new wheels?

Quick Reply: Should I do something to protect new wheels?