Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Coolant Leak on Carpet

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 05:10 PM
Dtmm88
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak on Carpet

Hey All,

Brand new to the forums and wasn't sure where to post this. I have a 1967 Corvette and the heater core leaked coolant all over the passenger floorboard. It leaked a lot, maybe 2 gallons. I have fixed the heater core and vacuumed out all the coolant but still have a big problem.

The coolant has left the carpet very greasy. I have tried to use Zep degreaser and a good carpet shampooer twice to suck it out but it still is greasy. So greasy I can't even have anyone ride on that side.

Any ideas on how to fix this is appreciated. I would hate to have to replace the carpet as it is very new and in great shape.

Thanks! Love this forum!
Old 10-12-2017, 11:58 PM
treh1
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The heater core leaked in my ‘58 and it was not a happy time. I pealed back the carpet and used a towel to soak up as much coolant as I could. Then I used a foaming cleanser called Tuff Stuff about 6-7 times blotting and vacuuming after each application. I’m sure there is still some coolant left in the carpet fibers but the slimy residue seems to be gone.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:23 PM
Dtmm88
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not a happy time indeed!

Thanks for the tip. I'll pick up some of that Tuff Stuff and give it a try. Beautiful '58 by the way!
Old 10-13-2017, 03:45 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

You may need to remove the carpet and take it to a professional detail shop where they can use professional cleaning equipment and products. Antifreeze has that sweet smell that will remain especially when you turn the heater on this winter. I had a '66 that had a leaking heater core and it took weeks for the smell to finally dissipate.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:33 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Maybe that Speedy Dri stuff that they soak up oil stains with? Apply it and vacumn it out and repeat. Just my thoughts

Clif
Old 10-18-2017, 11:20 PM
treh1
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I just remembered that I also used the garden hose and completely saturated the carpet and blotted and vacuumed as much water out as I could. Did this a couple times and left a fan in the car to keep air circulating. Then I followed up with TuffStuff. The whole process took about a week. Good luck with your situation....coolant is pretty messy stuff.

Get notified of new replies

To Coolant Leak on Carpet

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak on Carpet