Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Polisher with large or small pad

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 06:27 PM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 154 Posts
Default Polisher with large or small pad

I'm looking to buy a random orbital polisher and given the various angles on this car, I'm thinking that a smaller pad might be the way to go. Am I correct in my thinking or is that really a concern here? Any recommendations on polishers that you've used and liked are appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 11-04-2017, 10:21 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Probably could solve any concerns with the Cyclo polisher..................

attached a video here showing it in operation.............. made in USA and very user friendly..........

The following users liked this post:
Adam's Polish (11-05-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 11:04 PM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by mcoomer
I'm looking to buy a random orbital polisher and given the various angles on this car, I'm thinking that a smaller pad might be the way to go. Am I correct in my thinking or is that really a concern here? Any recommendations on polishers that you've used and liked are appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
I like the 3"-4" to get into all the curves. beyond that size you are bending a foam pad at some funny angles,and a Microfiber pad simply will not get in there.
In my shop I have a Flex PE8 and can tell you it is not for uninitiated. It take some knowledge and skill to not burn the paint, but has its place.
I also have a Rupes 75E 3" and like it alot, easy to use, controllable and won't burn the paint.
I just ordered a Rupes 75HR, 3" which is a pnuematic DA polisher. It has a much larger throw and able to cut much better. We get alot of cars that have a tight curves and the 5"-6" just doesn't cut it.
I have had customers come into my shop and as an example the windshield weatherstripping was cut. I asked and found that the previous detailer cut it. No doubt they used a larger pad to get into a corner of the hood and the edge of the pad cut the molding. The 3" inch is able to deal with the edges of the hood, A-pillar,and tight curves etc
While the Rupes 75E is an awesome machine, it still takes a fair amount of time to deal with removing swirls.scratches in small areas. The Pnuematic 75HR has a much better ability to deal with them faster. In my case time is lost money, or worse customer dissatisfaction as we did not clean up the scratches in those small areas.
Hope that helps
Old 11-04-2017, 11:54 PM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Thank you both for your replies. The polisher in the video is intriguing, and I do like buying American. Thanks for the tip.

Mike
Old 11-05-2017, 08:21 AM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

Hey Mike,

This polisher combo will give you the best of both worlds. Both are nice machines, I have them both and they do a great job!

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exteri...2mm-combo.html
Old 11-06-2017, 08:46 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Dual action polishers are a great tool. There are several very nice polishers on the market, it just depends on how much you want to spend. If you are not going to detail on a commercial basis something like a Griots or Porter Cable may be fine for your application. Both polishers are under $150 and do a great job. Autogeek sells various levels and priced polishers and has online videos for the correct use of the polishers and various related products.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:43 PM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Understand the sentiment regarding cost, but I'm not terribly worried about it with regards to a purchase like this. Obviously, if I can spend $150 and achieve the same results with the same effort as I can with that $400 polisher...no brainer. Otherwise, the best typically costs more and I'm OK with that.

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 11-16-2017, 11:56 PM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Had a chance to use the Rupes 75HR, on 4 cars, and it was incredible. Made a huge difference getting into the small areas and curves and made the car simply look so much better. It was night and day for us.
You do need a good compressor. It does consume air, but so worth the investment.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:41 PM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Should have updated this thread a while back but here we go. Ended up getting a Rupes Bigfoot LHR15 Mark II. Couldn't find a negative review on it, in fact, nothing but rave reviews. Ended up buying a full kit with buffer, pads, compounds, and miscellaneous supplies. Order additional pads to make certain I have enough to work a few vehicles. Figure I'll start on my 2007 F150, then hit up the unwrapped panels on the wife's Audi. After that, I'll do the Corvette before I get it wrapped.

Old 04-29-2018, 01:38 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by mcoomer
Understand the sentiment regarding cost, but I'm not terribly worried about it with regards to a purchase like this. Obviously, if I can spend $150 and achieve the same results with the same effort as I can with that $400 polisher...no brainer. Otherwise, the best typically costs more and I'm OK with that.

Thanks again,
Mike
The advantage of a higher priced polisher is the speed of correction due to the increased torque and orbit of the machine. In the end you can effect exactly the same results with a $150 machine as you can with a $400 machine, just not as fast as the higher priced unit.
The following users liked this post:
FYRARMS (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 12:13 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,236 Likes on 1,590 Posts

I snagged my Porter Cable 7424XP from Amazon during a $119 sale! Best purchase I ever made. Been doing initial first step cutting on my daily driver to get rid of all the swirls the previous owner created. Used some Sonus SFX-1 polish with Meguiar's 5" cutting pads. Holy crap! Swirls be gone. LOL

Get notified of new replies

To Polisher with large or small pad

Quick Reply: Polisher with large or small pad