Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

C6 headlight lens

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 11:13 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Default C6 headlight lens

Can the lens on the C6s be sanded,buffed and polished then add a coat of clear coat without further damage? My vette is a 08 77000 miles..Thanks for any help..
Old 11-10-2017, 02:19 PM
GoFast908Z
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

They can, but the material is very very hard. A pneumatic sander with 320 grit just dances around on it. Having done sets myself, its seriously worth the cost of new or reproduction ones.
The following users liked this post:
Cherokee Nation (11-10-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 11:42 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
They can, but the material is very very hard. A pneumatic sander with 320 grit just dances around on it. Having done sets myself, its seriously worth the cost of new or reproduction ones.
Go Fast:My are not turning orange.The coating GM put on them is starting to peel and and looks like crap,I can peel small pieces off with my fingernails.I use 400 grit wet & dry with a small block and sanded one left corner and it took the coating off,so i quit there until i decide if i should get the 3M kit or Mothers kit and use my drill and try on one lens?.....I know of the DIY of replacing them with new lens,but that is a PITA. I'm an old fart (74),but i can work a drill and i do have the buffing and polishing products.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:02 AM
GoFast908Z
Drifting

I didn't say anything about them turning orange?

The 3M kit or Mother's kit are not up to the task of repairing these headlights. You are welcome to attempt it, but its a huge can of worms and a very difficult headlight to get right. Not to mention many many hours of work.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:56 PM
mhatton222
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I had a headlight doctor guy come to my house and polish one of my lenses. Not sure if previous owner had replaced the driver's side due to a collision or if the lens got bad over time and was replaced, anyways the drivers side is 10 out of 10. My passenger side was probably a 6 out of 10 and was getting worse. A friend told me about the mobile service so I had the guy come out.

They sanded down the lens, used some sort of abrasive to polish, then buffed it out with a final clear coat. I would now put the lens at a 9 and maybe 9.5 out of 10... you have to look really close to notice any difference between the two. The charge was $75.00, it took them about 30 minutes. Also came with a 5 year warranty.

Not trying to downplay the 3M or any other lens product but I would highly recommend getting the pros to do the work for you especially given the relatively low cost and the warranty offered.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:59 PM
GoFast908Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by mhatton222
I had a headlight doctor guy come to my house and polish one of my lenses. Not sure if previous owner had replaced the driver's side due to a collision or if the lens got bad over time and was replaced, anyways the drivers side is 10 out of 10. My passenger side was probably a 6 out of 10 and was getting worse. A friend told me about the mobile service so I had the guy come out.

They sanded down the lens, used some sort of abrasive to polish, then buffed it out with a final clear coat. I would now put the lens at a 9 and maybe 9.5 out of 10... you have to look really close to notice any difference between the two. The charge was $75.00, it took them about 30 minutes. Also came with a 5 year warranty.

Not trying to downplay the 3M or any other lens product but I would highly recommend getting the pros to do the work for you especially given the relatively low cost and the warranty offered.
That's a heck of a warranty for $75. They been in business long?
Old 07-18-2019, 01:11 PM
mhatton222
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes, they have been since 2000. I agree that is a heck of a warranty... although i did look in the small print there is a $25.00 chemical charge after 1 year. Even if I have to get it re-done, way cheaper than a new headlight component or the lens replacement hassle.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 headlight lens

Quick Reply: C6 headlight lens