Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Is it okay to pressure spray a ceramic coated car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 09:54 AM
Zo62018A8
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Default Is it okay to pressure spray a ceramic coated car?

I just got my 2018 2lz z06 and I got it ceramic coated immediately. Cleaning is a breeze since I just pressure wash and then just wipe it dry. Is that safe for the Ceramic Coating?
Old 02-02-2018, 05:45 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 220 Posts

Really should use soap/mitt or do rinseless

Do a complete job
Old 02-12-2018, 10:26 PM
Jn499
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 37 Posts

After taking the step of adding a ceramic coating for paint protection the regular maintenance routine changes. If you can get in the habit of using a quality waterless wash after you drive it you’ll be in good shape. Waterless wash inside of a pressurized spray bottle works wonders and gives the shine a little boost. Keep in mind that this method is not designed for heavy dirt or abrasives.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:41 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 636 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by desibaba
I just got my 2018 2lz z06 and I got it ceramic coated immediately. Cleaning is a breeze since I just pressure wash and then just wipe it dry. Is that safe for the Ceramic Coating?
Yes you are fine, but I strongly suggest you get a specific wash for Ceramics, these two are excellent - Gyeon Bathe
or
Feyn Lab Pure Wash
Using an ordinary car wash will leave behind a potential layer of "stuff" that will reduce the self cleaninig and hydrophobic qualities of the coating.
The above washes contain a very slight amount of acid that will keep the coating free and clear of contaminants. Keep in mind the mild acid is specific to keeping coatings clean and not destroying the surface.
The following users liked this post:
Mark Ca (03-16-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 03:52 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Zaino.

Are these (mentioned) products better than Zaino?
Old 03-01-2018, 07:44 PM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 609 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan

Much better for me. Last far longer, offers far better protection, far less maintenance, stays clean longer.

Was a Z user for many years; have the etched waterspots in the paint to prove it.

Zaino has that 'look' to it if you like that particular look but that's about it.

Eh, all personal preference in the end but life is a lot easier with coating...for me. Everyone is different.

If you enjoy waxing your car, coating not likely for you. Me, I'm lazy but like clean cars.

Last edited by BudgetPlan1; 03-01-2018 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:59 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan

Zaino is good and still the mainstay product for my standard details at my shop and will outshine Ceramics/Quartz coatings by far. One of my cars contains 3 different Ceramic/Quartz coatings plus a panel with Zaino on it.
See my previous post here on what products to us for Ceramics/Quartz coated cars.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:31 AM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1
Zaino is good and still the mainstay product for my standard details at my shop and will outshine Ceramics/Quartz coatings by far.
I think that is highly subjective. Being a loyal Zaino guy for well over 10 years now, I saw a Kamikaze Miyabe base, Kamikaze ISM 2nd layer, and Kamikaze Infinity Wax top(owner was vague on Overcoat, mentioned it, but didn't say it was on vehicle) and don't think I have ever seen such _______(enter your favorite aspect of detailed car on line) on my Zaino'd vehicle, EVER.

Anyway, to the OP, I am switching to coatings now and was told, by sponsor of this forum, that pressure washing is fine. Do not take nozzle up close to paint. If you want to foam gun vehicle first, you have to use pressure washer(only way to get great foam coverage). With that said, I am using a "Y" adaptor on water line and have pressure sprayer and hose with sprayer in use during wash. Pressure for general spray, foam, and wheels.....sometimes front end depending on bug removal needs(use product on them first: Sonax).
Old 03-09-2018, 02:25 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Zaino is good and still the mainstay product for my standard details at my shop and will outshine Ceramics/Quartz coatings by far.
Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
I think that is highly subjective. Being a loyal Zaino guy for well over 10 years now,
Let's see I own a very high end detail shop in Silicon Valley and do this for a living where I do Zaino and Ceramic coatings on a daily basis. I can compare two Mythos Black Metallic Audi A8's side by side, one with Zaino and the other with Ceramic, which I have actually done and Zaino simply kicks butt over the Ceramics. Not subjective at all
Keep in mind, I have been a Zaino distributor since 2000, and opened my own detail shop using Zaino exclusively since 2009. By far it is still the best non-Ceramic product out there. But the Ceramics, and yes there is some serious snake oil out there, are moving in.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:03 AM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 609 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Let's see I own a very high end detail shop in Silicon Valley and do this for a living where I do Zaino and Ceramic coatings on a daily basis. I can compare two Mythos Black Metallic Audi A8's side by side, one with Zaino and the other with Ceramic, which I have actually done and Zaino simply kicks butt over the Ceramics. Not subjective at all
Keep in mind, I have been a Zaino distributor since 2000, and opened my own detail shop using Zaino exclusively since 2009. By far it is still the best non-Ceramic product out there. But the Ceramics, and yes there is some serious snake oil out there, are moving in.
I would have to argue that to some degree, the whole appearance topic is *very, very* subjective, driven not only by the actual appearance, but perceived appearance as well.

Having used Zaino on our black Corvette since purchase in 2004 up until I started messing with coatings in 2016, I can say that I prefer the current look of multiple layers of Kamikaze over what I perceived as a 'saran-wrap' shine of the Zaino, which I absolutely loved while using it. The Zaino look, at least on our black car, was not as nuanced as it is now with coatings.

It can't be a general Coating v Zaino argument with regards to looks as various coatings have various looks all their own. When I bought a new, black car this summer, I first coated it using 22ple HPC which has a very nice, molten glass like gloss to it. Pulled it in the garage next to the Miyabi + ISM + Infinity Wax + Overcoated Vette and while the 22ple HPC was a glossy black that looked a foot deep, the Kamikaze Vette looked a *mile* deep.

That's one of the things I like about the Kamikaze Collection; through the various products for paint, I can tailor the look for the particular needs/situation. Darker colors can be done with ISM + Infinity for depth, lighter colors like silver or white can get Miyabi and it's harder gloss look to stand out a bit on the less 'striking' colors. If I want to add a very subtle bit of added sharpness/gloss under the depth of the ISM itself, Miyabi underneath the ISM will give me that look. Toss Infinity into the mix which, for me, really accentuates some of the body lines and transitions in a pleasing 'relaxed high gloss' kinda way, and I can pull yet another subtle look out of the overall package.

With Zaino, is was pretty much the 'Zaino look' with few things availiable to alter it to suit individual likes and dislikes.

In all honesty, though, while I could likely tell identically prepped Zaino and Kamikaze cars apart when next to each other, and probably a Miyabi vs ISM car, the differences between Kamikaze variations would probably elude me in side by side comparisons.

I guess the whole thing boils down to some differences in looks are actually concrete, some may be subconsciously perceived. Regardless, a personal preference is pretty much by definition 'subjective'; some people like green peas, they make me wanna puke. Doesn't mean green peas are bad, just everybody has different preferences.

For me, the reflective nature of a Zaino finish lacked the depth that I can achieve with coatings; not *all* coatings but the ones I prefer...and that's why I prefer them.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:13 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I can compare two Mythos Black Metallic Audi A8's side by side, one with Zaino and the other with Ceramic, which I have actually done and Zaino simply kicks butt over the Ceramics. Not subjective at all
Actually, that is the exact definition of subjective.

Get notified of new replies

To Is it okay to pressure spray a ceramic coated car?

Quick Reply: Is it okay to pressure spray a ceramic coated car?