Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Quick Q on application pads

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 11:13 AM
c6vetteinhouston
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Quick Q on application pads

Will be applying about 4 coats of Z2 later this month and once applied, I will finish the top coat with a few, maybe 2 coats with Z-CS. Anyway, what pad will be best to use to apply the Z2 with from Autogeek? I will be using my portal cable buffer.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:27 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by c6vetteinhouston
Will be applying about 4 coats of Z2 later this month and once applied, I will finish the top coat with a few, maybe 2 coats with Z-CS. Anyway, what pad will be best to use to apply the Z2 with from Autogeek? I will be using my portal cable buffer.
I never got the best results with Zaino Z2 or Z5 with orbital application. I only got great results with hand application, Zaino applicators but tried a foam applicator pad, in the specification Zaino recommended. If I was to be real honest, orbital application always seemed to leave a "residue" that showed up with dust in the orbital pattern. Anyway, it still looked great, just not as good, IMO, as the hand applied.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:37 AM
Mark Ca
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

Years ago I used to do the same process. About a year ago I just used Z-CS and then Z-8. Looked great with great durability. No need for the Z2. Always done by hand.

GRZLDVT1 is a forum member who has a detail shop and they apply the Z-CS followed by Z-8 3 times and he says it's the best look he has achieved.

Just a thought and good luck.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:04 PM
c6vetteinhouston
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
I never got the best results with Zaino Z2 or Z5 with orbital application. I only got great results with hand application, Zaino applicators but tried a foam applicator pad, in the specification Zaino recommended. If I was to be real honest, orbital application always seemed to leave a "residue" that showed up with dust in the orbital pattern. Anyway, it still looked great, just not as good, IMO, as the hand applied.
thanks, I have done both, by hand and buffer, I really never seen a great deal of a difference. Since this will be going on my garage queen, and, I will be taking my time, maybe 2 -3 days to complete, I will apply by hand. It is easy to do just as well, and better control as to a full application and surface coverage. I do plan to apply about 3 maybe 4 top coat of Z-CS, followed by Z-8 wipe down in between each coat of Z-CS. I do, also plan on cleaning the surface, with clay bar, followed by Z-AIO.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:48 PM
Mark Ca
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

thanks, I have done both, by hand and buffer, I really never seen a great deal of a difference. Since this will be going on my garage queen, and, I will be taking my time, maybe 2 -3 days to complete, I will apply by hand. It is easy to do just as well, and better control as to a full application and surface coverage. I do plan to apply about 3 maybe 4 top coat of Z-CS, followed by Z-8 wipe down in between each coat of Z-CS. I do, also plan on cleaning the surface, with clay bar, followed by Z-AIO.
Holy moly. How about some before and after pics! Should look like a million bucks!
Old 03-23-2018, 12:02 PM
c6vetteinhouston
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mark Ca
Holy moly. How about some before and after pics! Should look like a million bucks!
Will do, once I get back from my upcoming business trip next month. I want to take a few days off for me to do the full process I am planning. :r ock:

Get notified of new replies

To Quick Q on application pads

Quick Reply: Quick Q on application pads