Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Wax options, what to use these days?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 09:19 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,713 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by MMD
All these fancy smancy synthetics and quartz coatings you can have. They all have their problems. Real men use good old fashioned Carnuba. Nothing beats the shine of this wax. Nothing. It will always be the classic go to application for those who seek the very best show car appearance. It’s more affordable too.
Yeah your right, bring back bias ply tires, carburetors, & 8 track tapes too!
Old 03-25-2018, 09:31 AM
MrGary2011
Burning Brakes

Received 233 Likes on 109 Posts

I won't push anybody one way or the other. But in my humble opinion (and I have been doing the wax on wax off thing many years and many hours), you can teach an old dog new tricks. These H9 coatings are fabulous and anyone who does not try them is just plain behind the times.
It makes the car look like glass, smooth to the touch, it does repel dirt (and water), I washed the car yesterday for the first time and it took half the time to dry (I use a air blower), it was unreal. I go to a ;to of car shows, had a C5 before and took best of show so I think I know something about detailing. Also, I know I won't get hit for wax residue anywhere.
It seems the more care you put into the work on your car the better the results. The huge con on this stuff is its not easy to apply like one would seem. A lot of prep work is involved polishing and making sure your paint is as perfect as you can get, then removing any polish or oils and finally application which is much more tedious but in a different way.
R1 was the product I used, maybe another is better and I just applied so unknown how long it last. I have used Mguires, Adams and Groit products, sorry I like the H9 coating best. I may put a coat of wax on we shall see.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:36 AM
MrGary2011
Burning Brakes

Received 233 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by 449er
Yeah your right, bring back bias ply tires, carburetors, & 8 track tapes too!
Some guys just will not change! There problem. I think you hit it with your response, well done.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:30 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,236 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Ceramic coatings are great, especially for daily drivers that see a lot of use. I may consider them for my pearl white Infiniti G37X, but my current car care regiment is doing a great job of keeping her looking great year-round, even in harsh midwestern weather. After cleaning and claying the paint, I polish it to perfection with my Porter Cable 7424X, Meguiar's microfiber pads, and Lake Country foam pads. My cars paint is never so bad that I need heavy cutting, so a good all-in-one polish/sealer works very well. I have a few to choose from. I prefer Meguiar's Ultra Polishing Wax and HD Speed. Both offer a great shine and good protection. For extra protection and a warm glow that brings out the pearl in the paint, I usually top off the job the next day (after the sealer cures) with a wax. On the Infinity, I like to use HD Poxy, which uses a mix of synthetic polymer sealers and Montan wax from Germany. However, even all the liquid carnauba waxes I have are mixed with some synthetic polymers that will layer well and bond with the sealer. Modern carnaubas are great.

My Z06 is a different story. It is a toy that doesn't ever see rain or snow, and is kept in the garage. I have no interest in a ceramic coating, as I am looking for the greatest amount of visual pop. It is washed and waxed often, so no ceramics are required. The car is Electron Blue. It is a tough color to get looking reeeeally good unless it is in bright sunlight. The paint is virtually perfect, so after a good washing it is inspected. If I see any surface scuffs or swirls, they are easily removed by hand using a foam applicator and some Poorboy's World SSR-1 or some Meguiar's #9. For maximum gloss and depth, I apply a good show car glaze with a Lake Country finishing pad. I have a few that I use, but like the Poorboy's World "Black Hole", Meguiar's #7, and Chemical Guys "Glossworkz". For protection and the deepest shine, I always use carnaubas on the Z06. I have quite a few available, and I switch them up a lot. The car is currently wearing a coat of Poorboy's Liquid "Natty's Blue", but it will get a topping of Adam's Buttery Wax before show season starts this year. I also have Menzerna (Jescar) Color Lock, and old reliable Meguiar's #26 in the arsenal. After washes, I dry off with a leaf blower, and give the car a wipe-down with a spray detailer containing carnauba wax. This does a great job of extending protection and keeping her shiny. I really love Optimum Spray Wax and Griot's Garage "Best Of Show" Spray Wax. I have had good luck with Duragloss Spray Wax in the past as well.

Last edited by FYRARMS; 03-25-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:22 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

I've used Rejex for my last three Vettes. Great gloss and helps keep the love bugs from sticking. I apply every six months, although once per year is probably enough.

Last edited by iclick; 03-25-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:52 PM
ScGRaceR
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

so wait,... no one has mentioned chemical guys... been using the brand for 2 years myself. will update post with pics later..
Attached Images  
Old 04-04-2018, 01:15 PM
Vins
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Car wax

I recently Jescar Power lock Plus Sealant. I then topped it all of with Collinite 845 Insulator was. 2 coats of each. Very happy with the results
Attached Images  
Old 04-04-2018, 01:16 PM
Vins
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Finally figured out how to post a pic! JSB Grand Sport is mine
Old 04-04-2018, 01:46 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Vins
I recently Jescar Power lock Plus Sealant. I then topped it all of with Collinite 845 Insulator
Excellent choices! I use a coat of Jescar Color Lock carnauba on top of 3D HD Poxy sealant. My car is Electron Blue. Metallic blue paint sure does respond well to a good carnauba!

Last edited by FYRARMS; 04-04-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:34 AM
Can'tHave2MuchHP
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 100 Posts

I fear some people appear to be using a Spray Wax as their only or majority use product. That's not really "wax" per say, that's a 1-2 week booster, shiner, and quick touch up product. Categorized as a "Detail Spray" in my mind. Now there are sprays that last and are durable but they're going to be silica/polymer based, something like Adam's H2O GG, or CarPro Reload, or similar. Those you could use as your only sealant with a Detail Spray in between/at washes for drying to add some shine, gloss, etc.

A good quality paste wax will give you 2-3 months of durability while producing the most gloss and shine possible I believe. Ceramic Coatings are 2nd. Most sealants will have less gloss than both of the aforementioned as they're kind of a "function over form" product.

I personally would recommend Adam's Paste Waxes with a base of their Liquid Paint Sealant. Or if you want to keep it easy, just use something like their H2O GG as a standalone or look at CarPro Reload.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:25 AM
Bob-G
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts

Has anyone used Adam's Polishes Americana Wax and Adam's Polishes Patriot Wax, and can share your opinion/experience with both? The Americana wax is cheaper by almost half. The Patriot wax is supposed to be the premium wax, but is considerably more expensive. It appears the Patriot wax has some ceramic additive to it, and some elaborate packaging that I don't care about nor want to pay for. In summary, is the Patriot wax "that much better" than the Americana wax to warrant paying the price difference? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:45 AM
Kmoberly
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Zaino is AMAZING!!!!

I use Zaino. I've tried just about every product and have been paint correcting for over 20 years on various cars (different clearcoat strengths). For the vette, it's Zaino. If you stick to using the well proven process of 1. wax strip (w/dawn dish soap) wash, 2. clay bar, 3. wash (again), 4. cut (either diminishing compound or polish), 5. polish, 6. wax / seal.... you can't go wrong ... WITH THE RIGHT PRODUCT(s) and towels/applicators. The great thing about Zaino products is it's a one-stop shop.

Here's a quick video of how it turns out.

Last edited by Kmoberly; 04-19-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:38 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Kmoberly
1. wax strip (w/dawn dish soap) wash
FYI, you aren't removing Jack squat with Dawn. Most waxes and sealants hold up very well against dish soap, even after dozens of washes. Use a dedicated product removal soap, such as Adam's Strip Wash, or use a spray-on remover like Griot's Garage Paint Prep.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:57 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
FYI, you aren't removing Jack squat with Dawn. Most waxes and sealants hold up very well against dish soap, even after dozens of washes. Use a dedicated product removal soap, such as Adam's Strip Wash, or use a spray-on remover like Griot's Garage Paint Prep.
But Z cult followers will espouse this for ever.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:06 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ronkh57
But Z cult followers will espouse this for ever.
True. In reality, they aren't removing any old wax or sealant until they clay bar and polish.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:32 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
True. In reality, they aren't removing any old wax or sealant until they clay bar and polish.
Shhhhhh - don't tell. Sal will go nutso.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:18 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ronkh57
Shhhhhh - don't tell. Sal will go nutso.

Get notified of new replies

To Wax options, what to use these days?

Old 04-19-2018, 06:05 PM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

Zanio
I have use since 2004

July 2008 Kool Car Show Dos Lagos 006
Old 04-20-2018, 07:32 AM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

BlackFire

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Polish Angel

Old 04-20-2018, 07:58 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmoberly
I use Zaino. I've tried just about every product and have been paint correcting for over 20 years on various cars (different clearcoat strengths). For the vette, it's Zaino. If you stick to using the well proven process of 1. wax strip (w/dawn dish soap) wash, 2. clay bar, 3. wash (again), 4. cut (either diminishing compound or polish), 5. polish, 6. wax / seal.... you can't go wrong ... WITH THE RIGHT PRODUCT(s) and towels/applicators. The great thing about Zaino products is it's a one-stop shop.

Here's a quick video of how it turns out.

https://youtu.be/BrYooIemUfU
Applicate your effort and result BUT IMO is scares off folks from using this great product as I was for years though I knew it was belter as I parked my Vette next to another where it was used. Too much work for me as is your approach.

I use it now in a much simpler way that Sal at Zaino says is a fine way to use the product.

See my post #18. Basically I wash the car, use Z-2 directly from the bottle and use it very sparingly and no mixing with an accelerator. Nothing not used to throw away. I then apply CS (Clear Seal) directly over it and Sal says that sets the Z-2. CS is "apply and let dry," no rubbing or taking it off, a 5 minute job.

You can use CS directly without the Z-2 and I do that on the splitter, wheels, side skirts and lower rear bumper.

Quick, easy and for folks like me where my Vette is a DD - "good enough."

The key to it's use is to use the products very sparingly so the CS doesn't streak and for Z-2 is easy to remove. Note they can be used in the sun! If you're the type that believes "If some is good more must be better "-don't use it. Both product bottles last for several years. Just follow the directions.

Last edited by JerryU; 04-20-2018 at 08:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Wax options, what to use these days?