Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Do I need "Eraser" as prep before Polishing/Detail?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 03:56 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Do I need "Eraser" as prep before Polishing/Detail?

Hey guys,

I'm looking to go the whole 9 yards.... Got a new (to me) C6 White. Looking to wash, clay, polish, micro polish, then ceramic coat it.

Question is - before the ceramic coating (during prep) do I need to buy a Carpro Eraser/etc, or can I mix Iso-Alcohol with water and make a cheap IPA prep spray? Or should I really get the Eraser...?

https://www.autogeek.net/carpro-eras...hannelid=BIZRA

Thanks for your Help!
Old 04-21-2018, 08:09 AM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan
Hey guys,

I'm looking to go the whole 9 yards.... Got a new (to me) C6 White. Looking to wash, clay, polish, micro polish, then ceramic coat it.

Question is - before the ceramic coating (during prep) do I need to buy a Carpro Eraser/etc, or can I mix Iso-Alcohol with water and make a cheap IPA prep spray? Or should I really get the Eraser...?

https://www.autogeek.net/carpro-eras...hannelid=BIZRA

Thanks for your Help!
Not familiar with the eraser, however this Coating prep is what we use.

https://adamspolishes.com/shop/exter...prep-16oz.html
Old 04-21-2018, 01:59 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,236 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan
Question is - before the ceramic coating (during prep) do I need to buy a Carpro Eraser/etc, or can I mix Iso-Alcohol with water and make a cheap IPA prep spray?
That really depends on the type of polish you use. I would check with the manufacturer. For example, all my swirl removers and light polishes are silicone-free, wax-free, and create virtually no dust. Water-based instead of oil-based. I don't really have any need for an IPA or anything else. I am pretty much good to go after polishing.

Oh, and Adam's, your Brilliant Glaze and Buttery Wax combo is my new favorite for making my Electron Blue Z06 glow like crazy!
Old 04-22-2018, 07:35 AM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

You can use IPA. Some folks prefer products like Eraser because the smell isn't as intense and they also usually mix with another product to add lubricity.

There are many products besides Eraser, some that are cheaper. I would perform a wipe down before applying the coating since you are going to all the trouble to fully polish and prepare the finish.

Rick
Old 04-22-2018, 06:55 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

The whole idea of a prep product is to completely clean the surface before the ceramic or sealer go on. You want the clean surface free of polishing oils for the proper bonding surface. IPA has worked great for years but now with some of the new products that may be the way to go now.

Get notified of new replies

To Do I need "Eraser" as prep before Polishing/Detail?

Quick Reply: Do I need "Eraser" as prep before Polishing/Detail?