Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

C7 Detail question - Is a 3" polisher needed for correction

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 12:31 PM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Received 2,147 Likes on 877 Posts
Default C7 Detail question - Is a 3" polisher needed for correction

This is C7 specific question, so I"m posting here. I know it's more detailing but I'm interested in C7 experiences only so I hope this is okay.

I have a 6" polisher that works great for waxing, though I end up using a hand polisher on a lot of the smaller and odd spots on the C7 when waxing my car.

I'm going to do a correction on it in a few weeks and I'm considering buying a 3" polisher to supplement the job as I'm not 100% comfortable using corrective liquids by hand. Waxes are one thing, this is something I want to be careful about.

Anyone able to pipe in on their experience? Did they need a smaller one for paint corrections on the c7 or is one large one enough?
Old 04-24-2018, 03:32 PM
Inferno24
Racer

Received 311 Likes on 137 Posts

Due to the extremely "curvy" nature of the C7 body, it is my opinion that 3 inch pads should be used on your buffer. If you are using a dual action/random orbital buffer with 5 or 6 inch pads the buffer will stall out on the high spots and the valleys of the curves on the car. A 3 inch pad will also still stall out on you, but not as much and it is easier to work the buffer in those valleys to keep it spinning. Also smaller diameter pads transfer more cutting/polishing energy to the vehicle surface than larger pads do. The 3 inch pad is more critical for polishing than for waxing, as with waxing you are merely spreading an even coat of wax, so a 6 inch pad would be appropriate for waxing and getting done faster. So for a C7 Corvette I think the 3 inch pad for polishing is the most appropriate. Now it will take you longer to polish your car with a 3 inch pad than it will with a 5 or 6 inch pad but you will get better results.

I actually just finished detailing my 2018 this afternoon. I started 3 days ago. On day one I washed, claybar and dried my car. Day 2, polished the car with a Griot's Garage polisher with 3 inch orange cutting pad and Griot's Garage BOSS Correcting Cream and this morning waxed the car with the Griot's polisher with a 6 inch red hex logic finishing pad and Chemical Guys V7 liquid wax. The car looks fantastic however it is overcast here in South Jersey today and most cars look good on cloudy days. The real test will be on the next sunny day we have. I may hand apply a coat of Adams Americana wax on top of the V7 either tonight or tomorrow. Incidentally I keep my car covered in the garage in between all these steps to eliminate dust.

You don't necessarily need to get another polisher unless your polisher will not work with 3 inch pads and backing plates.. If your polisher will work with them, then all you need is a 3 inch backing plate and 3 inch pads.

Last edited by Inferno24; 04-24-2018 at 03:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Inferno24:
JerriVette (04-28-2018), Semaj41 (11-27-2019)
Old 04-25-2018, 12:37 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I finally broke down and bought a dedicated 3" polisher, Rupes, this year and love it. The C7 is mearly one vehicle out of HUGE list of vehicles that a 3" polisher should be considered required for proper paint correction. We have a Ford truck, Audi sedan, Acura Sedan, and the Z06. I use the 3" Rupes on them all in some location(s).

The 3" pad/backing plate on a larger DA does work, but the Rupes has ended all that. Much smoother in use, since it was designed with smaller pads in mind.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:02 PM
tractman
Drifting

Received 945 Likes on 414 Posts

I have both a 6" Flex and the Griot's Garage 3". I find myself using the 3" more than the larger Flex....its just so much easier to handle along with the body contours on the Corvette. This past weekend at Spring Carlisle I found a vendor unloading their inventory of the Rupes Mini for $150....you never see these things discounted period so they had just two left and I bought on brand new one in the box. I will sell my Griot's and one new 3" pad for $30 and shipping. Nothing wrong with it....I use it all the time. I just wanted the Rupes for more power. The Griot's Garage RA does a super job....pm me if anyone interested. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:06 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

I agree with the lines on the Corvette a 3" polisher sure makes life a lot easier for sure. I wonder how i ever polished any car before using my 3'' Swirl Killer Mini.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:20 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,253 Likes on 916 Posts

I use both the 5.5" and the 3" when needed. With both machines I can get those hard to reach places that the big pad won't reach. The 3" has several different colored pads depending on the aggressiveness required for the correction needed.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:59 AM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

My 3 inch groits is more convient most of the time but I courious as to why a C7 would need a paint correction so soon?

Clif
Old 05-02-2018, 10:59 AM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by z06clif
My 3 inch groits is more convient most of the time but I courious as to why a C7 would need a paint correction so soon?

Clif
#1 I never did one when I got the car. Could use it from the factory plus the dealer installed swirls.

#2 I've had the car for a year and a half of daily driving. 37k miles and its seen some stuff.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:56 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by spireland
#1 I never did one when I got the car. Could use it from the factory plus the dealer installed swirls.

#2 I've had the car for a year and a half of daily driving. 37k miles and its seen some stuff.
....thanks

Clif
Old 05-02-2018, 06:46 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,253 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by z06clif

Clif
Any new car even with zero miles on it needs paint correction. What happens is when the car is passed out of the assembly plant it can sit in the holding lot for weeks waiting for transport to the selling dealer. The acid rain, plant exhaust chemicals and who know what else contaminates the surface of the paint and makes it dull and rough. Try the plastic bag test on a new car and see what it feels like, sandpaper. Most dealers only half *** prep the car for delivery. If the car is on the lot or the showroom you would be amazed at the scratches introduced by people dragging their hands, fingernails, and clothes across the surface. I spent 13 hours fixing a new black BMW a couple of years ago.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:02 AM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the advice, the 3" was amazing, so much better than my 6" polisher. Wish I had started with the 3", it works so much better with the C7 body.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Detail question - Is a 3" polisher needed for correction

Quick Reply: C7 Detail question - Is a 3" polisher needed for correction