Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

My new shop light

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 04:45 PM
Highlander1732
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default My new shop light

I recently completed a lighting upgrade to my small garage as I previously had lights over my bench as well as a retractable light for working under the hood, but I had no lighting directly over the car. I solved the problem with about $100 and the better part of a day. Maybe my solution can work for your space too. I ised some scrap PVC and some black iron from the home center to make a pivoting arm that I mounted a LED shop light to. I used a scrap piece of 1.5” PVC pipe and cut and epoxied a longitudinal “spine” to the pipe that I fashioned from some flat PVC trim stock. I drilled hole in one end to accomodate the black iron pipe, collar and end cap. I was able to mount the fixture on a beam the runs through the garage and I plugged the light into an existing outlet that had been used for an old garage door opener. The best part is that the light I got has built in bluetooth speakers so I can listen to tunes while working away in the garage.
Zip tied the cord to the black iron pipe.

The black iron keeps the unit rigid amd because of the spine on the horizontal pipe, the unit flexes very little when the power cord is pulled

The light itself was only $59 at HD and is very light so there is no strain on the joint between the PVC and black iron.

The fixture can swivel 360 degrees so I can concentrate light on any side of the car

Clears the garage door as well so I can listen to my music while washing the car in the driveway
The following users liked this post:
walker3 (07-11-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 07:44 AM
CasualGuy
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice!
Old 07-18-2018, 09:56 AM
Romark
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 25 Posts

Great idea. I'm using this
Old 07-18-2018, 12:24 PM
SoFloVette
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 65 Posts

Very cool. Overhead lighting has always been an issue for me. Although I do have an outlet right next to the garage opener. I have popcorn ceilings and its difficult to find the beams

Get notified of new replies

To My new shop light

Quick Reply: My new shop light