Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Clay bar question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 03:13 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 180 Posts

Some awesome information here! I hate to say it, I have never used clay until now, well hopefully this weekend. I always wash the car very often and waxed it couple times a year. That is changing now that I know the importance of this. I just picked up a detailing kit as well as a couple clay bars. Can't wait to see the difference the bars make. May have to check out the mits as well.

What do y'all feel about the Mother Speed Clay 2.0 shown in the video linked early in the thread? Saw that at Oreilly's when I picked up my kit

Last edited by SPSandman; 02-28-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:06 PM
REZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

I am perhaps a bit old fashioned...I still use the clay bar itself.
I also lay an old beach towel under where I am working....If I happen to
drop the clay...I pick it up and continue on.

Old spray bottle and a bit of dawn soap for lube..!
Old 03-01-2019, 02:49 AM
0EricAvalonKing
Former Vendor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
On a well-maintained vehicle, do you run into any issues with minor marring from using the natural clay? On one of the FB detailing pages I follow, I read posts from quite a few guys who always polish after claying. Others claim that the marring is so light that the sealant or wax application afterwards provides enough mechanical action to wipe out anything caused by the clay. In either case, it seems that claying is leaving some level of marring. I appreciate your thoughts!
I would recommend polishing after clay but marring wouldn't really happen in every case. If your paint is soft or if you use too much pressure, too little lubrication or too hard clay then it would likely mar it but yeah these marks would be super shallow. I could never live with just covering these with wax but yeah it would do it ...So, if you wanna be safe and not have to polish use soft clay, little pressure and tons of soapy water for lubrication.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:22 AM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,235 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by EricAvalonKing
I would recommend polishing after clay but marring wouldn't really happen in every case. If your paint is soft or if you use too much pressure, too little lubrication or too hard clay then it would likely mar it but yeah these marks would be super shallow. I could never live with just covering these with wax but yeah it would do it ...So, if you wanna be safe and not have to polish use soft clay, little pressure and tons of soapy water for lubrication.
Thanks. That's what I figured. Currently, I am using a Cobra clay mitt and I always have polished afterwards anyway. I regularly use iron fallout removers when washing my daily driver, and I haven't had much need to clay the paint again since I first corrected it. However, I have friends that want me to detail their cars, and I was thinking about using a more professional grade of natural clay on their rides. I will make sure to use plenty of lube (that's what she said) when claying to avoid any marring.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:53 AM
0EricAvalonKing
Former Vendor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
Thanks. That's what I figured. Currently, I am using a Cobra clay mitt and I always have polished afterwards anyway. I regularly use iron fallout removers when washing my daily driver, and I haven't had much need to clay the paint again since I first corrected it. However, I have friends that want me to detail their cars, and I was thinking about using a more professional grade of natural clay on their rides. I will make sure to use plenty of lube (that's what she said) when claying to avoid any marring.
A lot of lube goes a long way

Cobra is solid btw, I do prefer chemicalguys lineup for this at the moment, that is until a certain company (wink wink) finally finishes their own and launches.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:14 AM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,235 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by EricAvalonKing
A lot of lube goes a long way

Quick Reply: Clay bar question