Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Ceramic Coating Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 10:34 PM
rcharrison1
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Ceramic Coating Wheels

I ceramic coated my 2012 in early May with great results using Sonax cc36. I have some material left over and was going to toss it, not knowing the shelf life. Based on the results I got with the car, I'd like to coat the wheels - chrome/aluminum. I'm assuming they're clear coated.

My question - would it be safe to use the Sonax on the wheels even though the literature says "safe for painted surfaces"?. I sent an e-mail to Sonax customer care, but never heard back from them. If there is any doubt, I'll toss the remaining coating and buy some specifically for wheels. Before doing that, I'm hoping someone on the forum has experience/knowledge if the Sonax is compatible to use on wheels. Someone told me a couple of weeks ago to try a small test spot on the wheels. Sounds good in theory - but suppose it doesn't work well and I have a damaged spot on the wheel. The car has only 12,000 miles and absolutely no scratches/damage of any kind to any of the wheels, so I'd like to keep them away.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:51 PM
GoFast908Z
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Not sure about Sonax, but all the ceramic coatings we have dealt with at the shop expire within 30 days of opening, so I doubt its still good.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:38 PM
rcharrison1
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Thanks for the info

Thanks very much. I was leaning toward trashing the remainder of coating and going with a dedicated wheel coating such as McKee's.

Thanks again

Get notified of new replies

To Ceramic Coating Wheels

Quick Reply: Ceramic Coating Wheels