Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Advice concerning PPF and matte black stripes

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 06:41 PM
hogfanandy
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Advice concerning PPF and matte black stripes

For those that have used paint protection films in conjunction with stripes (in my case matte black), I would appreciate some advice.

I am having PPF and ceramic coating placed on my 2012 Centennial Edition Grand Sport by a professional. My matte black stripes are in good condition, but certainly not perfect. At the recommendation of the detailer I am replacing the stripes on the hood where the PPF is being overlayed.

My question...he is recommending the new stripes be installed on TOP of the PPF. I believe I understand why, but wanted to get the thoughts of folks more experienced than myself. Is this a sound recommendation?

Old 09-08-2018, 07:39 PM
CT Grand Sport CE
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

I was told not to put PPF over stripes because there is a good chance of getting air bubbles. My installer cut around the the fender stripes on my GS and stopped at the center stripe which is matte black and it is very difficult to see the edges of the PPF. Another thing to consider is that the PPF will be glossy on top of the matte stripe.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:01 PM
hogfanandy
Instructor

Originally Posted by CT Grand Sport CE
I was told not to put PPF over stripes because there is a good chance of getting air bubbles. My installer cut around the the fender stripes on my GS and stopped at the center stripe which is matte black and it is very difficult to see the edges of the PPF. Another thing to consider is that the PPF will be glossy on top of the matte stripe.

Thank you for that reply. I did some deeper searching on the forum and found that most folks, with matte black stripes did, in fact, put the stripes over the PPF or cut up to the stripes as you say. I am going to stick with the recommendation of my detailer and do the stripes on top. We'll see how it turns out.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:58 PM
pcbreflectionsllc
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hogfanandy
Thank you for that reply. I did some deeper searching on the forum and found that most folks, with matte black stripes did, in fact, put the stripes over the PPF or cut up to the stripes as you say. I am going to stick with the recommendation of my detailer and do the stripes on top. We'll see how it turns out.
Any update on the on the outcome? What PPF did you go with? Which areas of coverage did you select and how did your install go?

Last edited by pcbreflectionsllc; 10-02-2018 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:17 PM
hogfanandy
Instructor

Originally Posted by pcbreflectionsllc
Any update on the on the outcome? What PPF did you go with? Which areas of coverage did you select and how did your install go?
I chose to go with Opti-Coat PPF and then Opti-Coat ceramic coating over the whole vehicle.

The PPF went over the whole front clip of the car, the mirrors, rockers and rear fenders. I chose to put the new stripes over the PPF since the stripes are matte.

It turned out extremely good. I only have one low-light picture on my computer that doesn't do much to show how good the final product is, but I'll post it here anyway. I still have a half-dozen BB-sized bubbles under the film on the car after 3 weeks. My detailer said if they aren't gone by 6 weeks, to bring it back and he will correct.

I'm especially pleased with the new stripes. The are clean and perfect (detailer did a great job installing them) and the matte stripes are much more in contrast now to the ultra-shiny paint.

It was an expensive project, but it's such a nicer feeling to know the car has extra paint protection now.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:18 PM
pcbreflectionsllc
Instructor

Very Nice. Opti Coat Ppf recently released a plus film. It is suppose to a improvement over the previous film. I hope y'all get the bubbles worked out. Typically within 2-3 days and a little sun exposure it is as good as it gets in regards to liquid absorption from the adhesive and the actual clear coat absorbing. We install Opti Coat Pro and Pro Plus Ceramics and Install Xpel for our Ppf.
The following users liked this post:
hogfanandy (10-07-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 10:17 AM
hogfanandy
Instructor

Very Nice. Opti Coat Ppf recently released a plus film. It is suppose to a improvement over the previous film. I hope y'all get the bubbles worked out. Typically within 2-3 days and a little sun exposure it is as good as it gets in regards to liquid absorption from the adhesive and the actual clear coat absorbing. We install Opti Coat Pro and Pro Plus Ceramics and Install Xpel for our Ppf.

If I may ask, what makes the Xpel a better PPF than the Opti-Coat product in your mind? Hoping I didn't make a bad choice as I know that the Opti-Coat PPF aren't nearly as widely used as XPEL.

Last edited by hogfanandy; 10-05-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:47 PM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

It was an expensive project, but it's such a nicer feeling to know the car has extra paint protection now.
The car looks fantastic....

How much did that safe feeling cost....?
The following 2 users liked this post by Dave1:
hogfanandy (10-07-2018), kite167 (08-02-2020)
Old 10-05-2018, 03:00 PM
hogfanandy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dave1
The car looks fantastic....

How much did that safe feeling cost....?
Honestly, I don't know how each line item broke out price wise--he gave me a cost based on the entirety of work done as follows:

1. Paint correction--was quite minor, but we went ahead and did the whole car
2. Opti-Pro PPF over front end, hood, fenders (front and rear) rockers and mirrors
3. Opti-Pro Ceramic Coating over the entire vehicle
4. Installation of new matte black stripes
5. Restoration of all black trim and moldings (had faded over time)
6. Interior detail

Total Bill was $3350.00
Old 10-15-2018, 08:32 PM
pcbreflectionsllc
Instructor

@hogfanandy How have you and your installers worked out your BB size spots you were describing?
Old 10-15-2018, 08:35 PM
hogfanandy
Instructor

No, because as time goes by, they are disappearing. I went from having 6 "BB" sized bubbles to 2 now. I'll give it two more weeks, and then if not perfect then, I will run it back over to him.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:42 PM
pcbreflectionsllc
Instructor

No, because as time goes by, they are disappearing. I went from having 6 "BB" sized bubbles to 2 now. I'll give it two more weeks, and then if not perfect then, I will run it back over to him.
That is awesome. Keep us up on how your enjoying your new peace of mind protection service. Its always exciting to see and hear how our customers/friends benefit from our services like you have done.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:50 PM
hogfanandy
Instructor

That is awesome. Keep us up on how your enjoying your new peace of mind protection service. Its always exciting to see and hear how our customers/friends benefit from our services like you have done.
Well, after a month of having this work done I can say the following for sure:

1. The paint looks much better now (and it was nearly flawless before)
2. The most important thing to me was the fact I don't worry nearly as much about every small rock and pebble I hear hit the car now. A month before I decided to do this work, I had gotten caught driving on a 1/2 mile stretch of highway that they had milled, but hadn't swept clean yet. Traffic was one lane only and there was nowhere to pull over or off. Got a couple of small nicks just behind the doors, but high enough up they were noticeable. I decided that day to have this work done and I'm very, very glad I did. Hopefully it will prove to be a good investment

Last edited by hogfanandy; 10-15-2018 at 08:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GREG O. (06-22-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To Advice concerning PPF and matte black stripes

Quick Reply: Advice concerning PPF and matte black stripes