Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Best Local wax

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 07:49 PM
Ladensack3
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Best Local wax

Ok so I just bought a 2006 lemans blue vette. Washed it up real good and realized the paint needs a good clay bar
hit due to paint being slightly gritty.
so my question is after I clay bar the entire car I want to wax it. What is the best wax I can get from say autozone? I will be applying it by hand with a small pad and removing with a microfiber cloth. Can you tell me what the best and easier to remove wax I can get local? Thanks!
Old 10-07-2018, 09:21 PM
dmyers
Racer

Location: A place where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Griot’s Best of Show (as well as a variety of their other products) is available at my local Advance Auto and Autozone. I’ve been very pleased with it and I did it all by hand.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:07 PM
George_L
Burning Brakes

Received 754 Likes on 394 Posts

I think the P21S pure carnuba is the best I have ever used. Look up the reviews on the detailing sites. You can get it from
Amazon Amazon
quickly, or from the detailing sites. Easiest to apply and remove that I have used. Doesn't leave any dust or white on the trim. This wax doesn't have any abrasives. It's a little expensive compared to turtle wax, etc. but much cheaper than the expensive waxes. Don't let the price bother you too much. You apply it in a very thin layer and it lasts a long time. I have done my C7 twice (3 coats each time), my Pilot, Camry and Camaro (2 coats each) and I still have 3/4 of the container left. You won't be sorry.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:44 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Steps to a great paint finish:
Clay
Polish
Seal
Wax

There are no shortcuts if you want to do it right and have a superior shine. Takes time but worth it in the end.
The following users liked this post:
FYRARMS (10-09-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 04:34 PM
endus
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 101 Posts

Not a fan of clay. I've been in the overwhelming minority on that for a long time, but I recently saw a video from the Ammo NYC guy and he seems to have the same opinion - good tool but not something you just do on the whole car. Polish will give better results more safely. If you have sticky crud on the paint, then absolutely reach for the clay.

If I had to buy wax from Autozone, I would definitely buy Meguiars. I'm not Meguiars' biggest fan, but they certainly don't make many bad products. Griots is also a possibility.

My big thing with wax is - does it stain trim. As much effort as I've put in to detailing over the years, masking the trim has never been something I've wanted to deal with. I was using Blitz wax for a while many years ago and it was an absolute nightmare for trim. With the Pinnacle Souveran I use now, you can wax the trim if you really want to and it will never stain.

Last edited by endus; 10-09-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:19 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,236 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by endus
Not a fan of clay. I've been in the overwhelming minority on that for a long time, but I recently saw a video from the Ammo NYC guy and he seems to have the same opinion - good tool but not something you just do on the whole car. Polish will give better results more safely.
I agree. I do own a synthetic Cobra clay mitt, and I used it once on my daily driver. I didn't really need to, though. After washing, de-ironing, and washing again, it was ready for the polishing steps. I suppose I will use it once per year, but only before polishing.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:19 AM
Sunset-C6
Le Mans Master

Received 133 Likes on 75 Posts

Old 10-14-2018, 10:37 PM
pcbreflectionsllc
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Im all for the diy projects but a local professional reputable shop with a multiple step paint correction and an accredited Ceramic Coating is the way to go. But for the diy guys the most durable paint sealant (wax) on the market is menzerna powerlock.

Get notified of new replies

To Best Local wax

Quick Reply: Best Local wax