Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax - My Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 10:39 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

Default Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax - My Review

I saw a lot of coverage and hype around this product, and figured i would give it a shot. I'm not someome who thinks these thousand dollar coatings are worth it, but i'm also someone with 4 vehicles in the fleet, 3 of which live outside and 2 of which are daily drivers. Theyre also an SUV and a truck, and going extreme on care for them isnt in the schedule. Theyre lucky to get any care. So i figured i would give this stuff a try, and overall i'm pleased, especially for the price.

The spray bottle is of decent quality, doesnt feel like it will break before i use it up. Minor pet peeve, the bottle itself is blue, and not see through, so you can't see how much product you have left. It has a overall pleasant smell, a mix of blueberry and chemical. Better than most meguiards dmells IMO, but not as nice smelling as stuff from Surf City Garage or others.

Real talk, you will screw up the initial application. They make a point of spraying it on heavy and rubbing it in. How tos on youtube and others will show you this method. If you do that, it will dry to a splotchy mess. What they don't sjow you is that after it driea, you have to come back with a damp towel and buff it off. Maybe there'snsome kagical in between amount to use between "full coverage" and "too much", but i didnt find it either time. I did find it really easy to fix with a damp rag though. Anyways, it goes on easy, and application is super easy and fast. It doesnt have a cure time either, spray it on and you're good to go. I went side by side and had no issues with it drying too quick or anything like that. It doesnt stain trim and you can get it on glass without issues (they dont recommend using it on windshields because it could streak, but say a thin layer wont hurt).

Performance wise, the stuff looks great, one of the most reflective spray waxes i've ever seen. It beads and rejects water, but if you don't use fancy water sprayers to make it look great, it just runs the water off. Frankly, i'm fine with that, i don't get my kicks from pictures of water beads on my daily. I can't speak to durability yet, but it seems like it lasts 6 to 9 months if you domt do anything speal to rejuvenate it. Nice thing is you can add layers of the stuff, all yoou do is spray it on while the car is wet, rinse the car off, then dry. I suspect that with that ability, if you can wash the var once a quarter you will always have awesome protection.

Overall, i'm very pleased with it. I think it is probably rendering these high dollar coatings obsolete. They may last longer, but if all i have to do is spray the car down real quick after washing to rebuild it... who cares? And at 12 to 15 bucks a bottle, it represents a HUGE value.
The following users liked this post:
Gixxerman (09-25-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 10:43 AM
JimmyS5600
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Nice review,thanks for posting.
Jimmy
Old 03-11-2019, 10:58 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I tried it this weekend on my SUV, thought it worked really well and went on easy. I didn't have the splotchy mess, just misted the whole car after I washed it, sprayed, wipe it around, then back over with a dry towel.

Smells pretty good too.

I'm curious to see how it holds up.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:43 AM
KyJim
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

What about using on top of wax or sealant ? I'm guessing since it does not have a cure time, it does not need to bond to the paint. Sounds interesting and worth a try. Thanks for the review.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:41 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Would be pretty redundant to use over them but it should be fine to overlay
Old 03-12-2019, 12:39 PM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,033 Likes on 609 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by FAUEE
I think it is probably rendering these high dollar coatings obsolete.
Not likely. There is far more to products than shiny and easy to use. While I haven't personally given this product a try, the recent rash of ceramic-infused 'this-and-thats' simply don't have enough time on them yet to make a true judgement. Yes, you can simply apply more at each wash (as you can with products like Gyeon WetCoat and CarPro Hydro2) but eventually the buildup *may* cause issues of clarity and overall performance.

The ridiculous claims of coating 'hardness' and scratch resistance aside (mostly because it's all a load of marketing mumbo-jumbo that has very little, if any, impact or validity) coatings offer far more than just looks. One of the primary reasons I like coatings is that, well...I'm lazy. And they allow me to be lazier while still maintaining protection and reasonably good appearance. One of *my* major benefits of coatings is durability and resistance to environmental contamination like water spots and bird bombs. Don’t wanna have to worry about running home and immediately dealing with removing things that would otherwise etch bare paint. Like hard water spots did to our Corvette during the Zaino years. Also has to last cuz I don’t wanna be hauling out compounds and polishes every Spring, given reasonable maintenance.

I also value exceptional Self Cleaning Abilities: Our cars see rain and often get rained on in the morning and then sit outside in the sun in the afternoon; don’t like waterspots. I like clean cars but don’t like cleaning cars.

I'm an admitted coating junkie, mostly for reasons that benefit and appeal to me personally. I don't suggest that my wants and needs are universal or the best way to do something. Given the inherent subjectivity in appearance, maintenance and cost issues, everyone is different and should follow their own path.

This is in no way an indictment of the Megs HCW Wax product; Megs is a solid company and I'm sure that this product will likely work as advertised, aside from longevity claims (if they indeed make any) as there are *far* too many factors to go by what may be written on a product label.

However, I will stand by my initial thought that in no way will this product render expensive coatings obsolete; separate product classes, separate expectations, separate results....and obviously separate costs.

It is nice to see that ceramics, in whatever form they take, are making it to retail shelves in an easy to use format. I always thought Gyeon CanCoat would be a killer retail products given its ease of use, relative low cost and proven performance.

Last edited by BudgetPlan1; 03-12-2019 at 12:40 PM.
FYRARMS (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 01:33 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,236 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1
It is nice to see that ceramics, in whatever form they take, are making it to retail shelves in an easy to use format.
I agree. I have been following most of the new "SiO2-infused" products that have become available over the past year or so. I have a friend who swears by Jax Wax "Ceramic Wax" liquid SiO2-infused sealant. I know he then uses a topper/spray SiO2 sealant after washes to extend the performance. Neat stuff. However, based on a few of the YouTube detailers I follow, I will be passing on such products. The longevity/performance just isn't significantly better than a good synthetic spray sealant to me. Both the Meg's HCW and Mother's CMX lasted longer than P&S Bead Maker and Nanoskin "Nano Shock", but not enough to justify the cost for me. I suppose if I was going to use a cheap spray product as my only means of paint protection, then I would use something like the Meg's HCW. I only use sprays as toppers, however.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:38 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Meguiars doeant make any crazy claims on it. They say nothing about scratch resistance or anything. They don't say anything other than "better than conventional wax" for durability.

I know a lot of pro detailing people are being really harsh against it. To me that says they're scared of it impacting their business.

For me, this product needs to be good at self cleaning. The cars got rained on yesterday and still look great, like they were just washed. Obviously that's after only a single day, but it's certainly better than if I had used a conventional wax.

I'm interested to see how it holds up over the long term.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:35 PM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,033 Likes on 609 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
I agree. I have been following most of the new "SiO2-infused" products that have become available over the past year or so. I have a friend who swears by Jax Wax "Ceramic Wax" liquid SiO2-infused sealant. I know he then uses a topper/spray SiO2 sealant after washes to extend the performance. Neat stuff. However, based on a few of the YouTube detailers I follow, I will be passing on such products. The longevity/performance just isn't significantly better than a good synthetic spray sealant to me. Both the Meg's HCW and Mother's CMX lasted longer than P&S Bead Maker and Nanoskin "Nano Shock", but not enough to justify the cost for me. I suppose if I was going to use a cheap spray product as my only means of paint protection, then I would use something like the Meg's HCW. I only use sprays as toppers, however.
I gave Beadmaker and Mothers CMX a quick audition, both over coated paint and on bare, prepped paint. Beadmaker is a quick, fun product to use but longevity, water behavior and, I'm guessing, protection are substandard to other options, albeit more $$ ones. It's fun as it adds slickness and gloss, is relatively inexpensive and ease of use is top notch. CMX was a bit tougher and the price really isn't that bad but no reason for me personally to use as it's a step backwards in performance in comparison to my mainstays, which I have to use far less often to achieve significantly better results. Still, I believe it has it's place and hopefully will continue to exist alongside Megs HCW and similar for those who find it appropriate for their situation.

With the recent glut of 'spray coatings' I find it curious how many claim to be "revolutionary", "first of its kind", "truly unique", etc., etc, etc. when, in fact, Gyeon has been doing it longer (and so far better) for the past few years with CanCoat. Easy to use, great candy gloss and self cleaning, 6 months longevity without breaking a sweat. Until someone topples CanCoat from it's throne, the rest are mere pretenders...which is not to say the others are bad products with no place on the shelf as that is completely untrue. Most products have their place in a variety of situation and it's just a shame that some mfg can't accept the 'slot' their product falls into without trying to elevate it to something sensational, not thru performance, but thru marketing.

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Meguiars doeant make any crazy claims on it. They say nothing about scratch resistance or anything. They don't say anything other than "better than conventional wax" for durability.

I know a lot of pro detailing people are being really harsh against it. To me that says they're scared of it impacting their business.

For me, this product needs to be good at self cleaning. The cars got rained on yesterday and still look great, like they were just washed. Obviously that's after only a single day, but it's certainly better than if I had used a conventional wax.

I'm interested to see how it holds up over the long term.
For what it is, in a retail and cost effective environment, I'd imagine it will have a broad appeal...and rightfully so. There are certainly benefits, in my eyes, to ceramics and their wider use can only enhance the overall satisfaction one might find in caring for their vehicles....just makes things easier. Although I'm certainly no pro, I wouldn't think many pros have any fear of products such as this impacting their business. For those willing to spend for pro application, the actual application of the product takes a back seat to the prep (polishing, paint correction, decontamination and such) as that's where the majority of time (and associated expense/profit) come into play. I can coat a car in under an hour w/ a proven (to me) coating that costs less than $150 but it will take me 8-12hrs to prep that car.

And kudos to Megs for not mentioning hardness and scratch resistance as that is such and over-hyped and over-marketed aspect of coatings, an aspect I don't even consider when looking for a new coating to try. Even the vaunted claims of "Diamond-infused 10h hardness" means little as, at the end of the day, my fingernail will still leave a heck of a mark on it. Adam's and their "9h Ceramic Spray Coating" could learn a bit from Megs approach regarding that claim.

All that matters at the end of the day is if using the product meets your expectations; does it make you smile when you turn around and look at your car as you walk away from it in a parking lot? If so, then what anybody else thinks is pretty much irrelevant. "Find something you like and use it often" as the saying goes.
FYRARMS (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 07:45 PM
slow_zo6
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Just tried this on my car and truck and the bottles pretty much done. :/
Turned out really good on the car but left a blotchy mess on the truck so Ill have to take the op's advice on wiping it down again with a damp cloth.

Last edited by slow_zo6; 03-12-2019 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:35 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Heres a follow up to this. I've had it on 2 cars for a bit over 6 mo.ths now. Last night I reapplied it to my girlfriends black SUV. It was still heading, but it had lost some of its gloss. The car sits outside, has seen a good bit of commuting and road trips, and the front was covered in dead bugs from a trip last week.

So overall, I would say 6 months is pretty great lifespan for a black car outside 24/7. My silver truck appears to be holding up a bit better (but that may be just due to the color). I did a more normal application this time, spritzed a little onto the wet car, and then wiped the car dry. It came out looking pretty great, as good as day 1 and went a lot easier.

Overall, I'm sold on this stuff. I think it's the best daily driver product I've ever used.
FYRARMS (09-24-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 12:52 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Its still beading very well on my Cayenne too, not much change in gloss but the car is silver so its hard to tell anyway.
FYRARMS (09-24-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 12:57 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by vader86
Its still beading very well on my Cayenne too, not much change in gloss but the car is silver so its hard to tell anyway.

Yeah my truck is silver and looks and beads great still. Its lasting longer than wiper blades on the truck, lol.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:30 PM
yamabob
Drifting

Received 743 Likes on 471 Posts

Just be careful all with the whole "beading -it's still protecting" Not an indication of what is more important -UV protection.
FYRARMS (09-24-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 01:42 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by yamabob
Just be careful all with the whole "beading -it's still protecting" Not an indication of what is more important -UV protection.
Good point! I am slowwwwwly going through my detail sprays and spray waxes (I have a lot to use. LOL) and using my Optimum Polymer Technologies products more frequently. I like that everything they offer includes the same cross-linking polymers with UV protection. Everything jives. Their paint cleaner, waterless wash, detail spray, and carnauba spray wax all leave some really good protection behind. And everything is so damned affordable.

Last edited by FYRARMS; 09-24-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:06 PM
yamabob
Drifting

Received 743 Likes on 471 Posts

In the real world we would all prefer sheeting action over beading any day. it's just not sexy ( who doesn't love all those tight beads- and with a good coating( think Syncro,at least in the first 2 months) that rush of beads when you move is great theater).But beading can leave to spot's.
OPT used to love them and still do. Them and CarPro are 2 main staples with some great products out there. It's just too much fun to try others
FYRARMS (09-24-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 02:18 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by yamabob
It's just too much fun to try others
Brian at Apex has a new YouTube video out, and he tests a TAC Systems spray wax that added a LOT of gloss. Like, the surface went up 5 full GUs on his gloss meter. The entire video I am thinking "I need to buy some", and then his closing statement was "folks, don't be like me and horde products".
yamabob (09-24-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax - My Review

Old 09-24-2019, 02:30 PM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

i HAVE TO QUIT READING THESE , sigh .
FYRARMS (09-24-2019)
Old 09-25-2019, 05:42 AM
Gixxerman

Received 3,748 Likes on 2,126 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

lol I saw that vid on shinee wax from tac systems looked pretty wild stuff FYRARMS. I personally have guys thinking my car is ceramic coated, but it's not. Just going thru your steps and using a topcoat like Beadmaker can yield excellent results.I would hate ceramic on my Corvette.. it would take one of things I love and that's detailing my car.. I really love detailing.. a pride and relaxation thing for me. I actually use a few meguiar's pro products.. still a good company. liked your review up there...For you engine bay when detailing it I spray it down with Meguiars Hyper Dressing.. diluted with distilled water 1:1 too sticky I ended up thinning it out with more water more like 5:1 as I like the satin clean look and not shiny hooker lip look in my engine bay lol

Last edited by Gixxerman; 09-25-2019 at 05:43 AM.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:04 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Gyeon hits the right spot for me. Annually, a quick polish with Gyeon Q2 Primer, then CanCoat the next day. Sometimes the daily drivers get grimy and don't get washed for months in Northeast Ohio, but when they do it's with Bathe+ and after drying I'm always pleasantly surprised at how good the paint looks.
yamabob (09-25-2019)

Quick Reply: Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax - My Review