Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Does Wax stick to Wax?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 08:15 AM
Spark 2
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Default Does Wax stick to Wax?

I believe I asked this question before, BUT?

Does wax stick to wax? If I use a cleaner wax, and then apply a coat of durable wax such as Collinite or Zymol over it,

am I accomplishing anything? Does the durable wax bond to the previous coat of wax?

Thanks for your opinions!
Old 03-30-2019, 02:19 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,236 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Considering that virtually all modern wax products are blended with synthetic polymers to make them soft and to increase durability, the short answer is "yes". Usually, it is the polymers in the second wax product that are linking to the polymers in the first wax product that is already bonded to the paint. The second coat of wax may offer a little extra paint protection, but it won't last very long. The wax product applied directly to the paint is the one that will stay bonded longer. That is why most professionals will tell you that a second coat isn't necessary, as the first coat is the durable one.

Personally, I apply a second layer of a "show wax" over my base layer of Collinite 845 on my Z06 just to improve the appearance, not to add any protection. The 845 is plenty durable for my fair weather only car, but I like the depth and warm glow the show waxes add to my metallic paint. I know they don't last very long, but that is fine. I just apply more as needed. Currently, my favorite combo is a base layer of the 845 followed by a layer of Griot's Garage "Best Of Show" paste wax after the 845 cures. That really makes my blue paint look incredible.

Just remember that you want the most durable product to be applied directly to the paint. My 845 is a durable sealant/wax hybrid, so it is always my base layer. On my daily driver, the same thing. Base sealant layer first, then a topper spray sealant or spray carnauba. In your case, I don't know how durable your cleaner wax is. Sometimes when you correct paint using those types of products with a DA, there isn't always a lot of actual wax left after you finish. So, you might as well add a layer of 845 or Zymol.
The following 2 users liked this post by FYRARMS:
mdb917 (04-03-2019), Spark 2 (03-30-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 01:11 PM
mdb917
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Show waxes seem to have a 'warmth' that most other options do not have. Using a 'show wax' takes just a few minutes and it's more than worth it to me. My 'show wax' of choice is Pinnacle Souveran and it even comes in a liquid form which would reduce the time if that's a consideration.

As FYRARMS states they are not near as durable although a couple of weeks is easily within their reach for those fair weather vehicles.

Someone on this forum stated years ago he'd never went out to the garage after layering Zaino upon layers and layers of Zaino to find it all on the garage floor.

Last edited by mdb917; 04-03-2019 at 01:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FYRARMS (04-03-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Does Wax stick to Wax?

Quick Reply: Does Wax stick to Wax?