Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Which cutting compound?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 02:41 PM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 154 Posts
Default Which cutting compound?

I'm looking for recommendations on a cutting compound for my car. It's a 2017, and I've been religious about 2 bucket washes, good microfiber mitts, good drying towels, and blowing water off the car to minimize wiping. Still, there are the inevitable scratches and I'm getting ready to polish her up for the summer. There is also a spot on the nose that I need to fill and correct where some jerk touched their bumper to her in the parking lot. I have Rupes Zephir (coarse, almost gone), Quarz (medium), Keramic (fine), and Diamond (ultra fine). I also have a big bottle of Sonax Perfect finish and love that stuff. Given how well it works I'm thinking of buying something more coarse from them. I'm thinking that CutMax is more than I need and am leaning towards EX 04-06.

If you've used these, would you let me know what your thoughts are with the cut of each? If you've had good results with a similar product, don't hesitate to share. Don't have a lot of defects to remove so keep that in mind please.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-28-2019, 10:10 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,246 Likes on 914 Posts

Very difficult to answer without actually seeing the can in person. Always start with the least abrasive product and then go more aggressive if needed. Your pad will do most of the cutting so have several different digrees of cut on hand. I use Menzerna 2400 on an orange pad and then go to 3800 on a white pad which works in the vast majority of cases for me. There are numerous products that will give you the results desired, maybe others can give their opinions on what works for them.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:35 AM
yamabob
Drifting

Received 742 Likes on 470 Posts

I have the EX 04-06. On the Corvette I much prefer Menzerna FG400. with a yellow or orange LC pad. (5.5") I recently did a motorcycle with the FG400 on a black LC pad (5.5") . I was very impressed by the cut and finish that combo left. The paint is 20 years old and looks as good as new
Old 04-30-2019, 06:19 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I too would encourage you to try less abrasive treatment first.
Light swirls can be 'filled' rather than cut.. with very good results.
My C5 is 21 years old and looks like the day it was new.. I've never had to use aggressive compound on it.

Last edited by SDVette; 04-30-2019 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:59 PM
yamabob
Drifting

Received 742 Likes on 470 Posts

Be careful there with that kind of statement.Filling properties are great for certain products and people, but in the end it is a temporary solution. On 20 year old paint i'd be more concerned and in any eventuse a PTG to measure whats there-new or not. I'm not nor have ever been a fan of filling, but would rather correct and then refine the processes that led to the marring in the first place which usually is the wash stage. 2 bucket or not. There is a nice product ( Essence + ) that will fill and correct by chemical rather than abrasive tech (Car-Pro).
Least aggressive to more aggressive is always the best advice. Rule of thumb is if you can feel it with a finger nail-do not try and remove. Over simplified but rings very true.I'm an appearance Mod on another site and did a thread on painting. I purposely put defects in to show how to correct them.Which was another thread. Here is what you can do with 1500 grit scratches on what is now FG400 with a couple passes. Again, paints and age I will vary technique. I probably put down 1.5 mils each coat which leaves a lot more than factory.

And this is after 4 passes

Last edited by yamabob; 04-30-2019 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:21 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Well, for a garage-kept car, 'temporary' can mean a long time.
I use Zaino; have since the car was new. Z5 has a filler.. It works great on light swirl marks (like the OP described), and does not wear off - at least not on a garaged car.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:51 PM
WIC7Diver
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Fillers are just that, a temporary fill and while our garage beauty’s may only sit in the garage and not wear off, the swirls are still there. I’d prefer to take the time and correct them. Zaino’s products are great but are meant to be used in layers. Not a bad thing, particularly for garage cars, but knowing those will be there every time I strip the paint, I’d just need to fix them.

I’m a Adams fan and their 2 stage process works best for me however I personally don’t subscribe to a “best product” methodology but rather technique. You can get great results from Meg’s 105 & 205, but it tends to dust a lot particularly if you use too much product.

In any case I guess what I’m say is focus more on your technique with a good 2 stage Product, it really doesn’t matter as much as your technique.

Enjoy!

Get notified of new replies

To Which cutting compound?

Quick Reply: Which cutting compound?