Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Inherited Dad's pristine (24,456) 2002 Red Vette - advice on paint/int. upkeep pls.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 06:17 AM
Scott1616
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Inherited Dad's pristine (24,456) 2002 Red Vette - advice on paint/int. upkeep pls.

As I mentioned, I inherited my Dad's Vette when he passed last year at 77. It's been in a garage for the last year and for the 7 years prior to that - prior to that a heavy cover outside. Hardly driven - it was his baby. However, it's now parked outside, not garaged. And it's been years since I've worried about detailing a car. I've seen some posts on here and I'm sure this sort of thing has been discussed before, but I could really use some advice from other Vette owners.

He put so much time and effort into it and it's in such good condition, I want to keep it that way. I know he used some Meguiar's products and a couple Adam's products. But in reading various forums, looking online, and shopping at the store, the whole wax/polish/car detailing world seems to have changed. HELP! :-)

I'm not concerned with showing the car, and don't have a ton of time (seems like Zainos is popular but very involved). Any suggestions/recommendations on waxes, polishes, etc.?

I also have no idea re: the chrome rims - never had a car with them and have no idea how to clean/care for them. I've read on here that they're chrome plated or some such thing and there are different products for different sorts of chrome rims...who knew! ??

I'm in the SUV/family stage and have never had such a car. My father had a '66 '68 and his brother had several, but I'm in uncharted territory.

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:58 AM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,236 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Well, you are basically starting at Ground Zero. No detailing experience, no experience with current products, no experience with a Corvette, and a car that has been sitting for a while. Honestly, you might want to consider having the car professionally detailed. Once you get the car back in perfect shape, you can simply maintain it with products that are very easy and fast to use. Your local Walmart or parts store has spray products available for maintaining an already-detailed car. If you are in "family SUV" mode, you don't have time for regular detailing work. Besides, there are a MILLION products on the market, and everyone will tell you to use a MILLION different things. Without actually seeing the condition of the car, it will be hard for anyone to recommend effective products for your needs. Every product is a little different and has a different purpose. Just take it somewhere and let them do it. Just being honest. Most of us in here detail our own cars because we love to tinker constantly with our Vettes and make the time to do so. It just doesn't sound like you are ready for this stuff. It can be overwhelming.

Last edited by FYRARMS; 05-11-2019 at 01:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
vettpapaw (05-11-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 12:38 PM
Trebor
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 157 Posts

Sorry for your loss. I think it's great tribute to your dad that you want to maintain his car. Good for you. I had a quick silver 2002 Z06 and the C5 is a great car. I also owned a red '87 and red does show scratches more than the silver. Find a few steps that work for you. Don't get caught up in all the products out there. They will drive you crazy. Take a look at this video from Meguiar's. It will give you some ideas on how to detail it.

Good luck,

Bob
Old 05-11-2019, 02:50 PM
Scott1616
8th Gear

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
Well, you are basically starting at Ground Zero. No detailing experience, no experience with current products, no experience with a Corvette, and a car that has been sitting for a while. Honestly, you might want to consider having the car professionally detailed. Once you get the car back in perfect shape, you can simply maintain it with products that are very easy and fast to use. Your local Walmart or parts store has spray products available for maintaining an already-detailed car. If you are in "family SUV" mode, you don't have time for regular detailing work. Besides, there are a MILLION products on the market, and everyone will tell you to use a MILLION different things. Without actually seeing the condition of the car, it will be hard for anyone to recommend effective products for your needs. Every product is a little different and has a different purpose. Just take it somewhere and let them do it. Just being honest. Most of us in here detail our own cars because we love to tinker constantly with our Vettes and make the time to do so. It just doesn't sound like you are ready for this stuff. It can be overwhelming.

FYR - Thanks for the reply I didn't mean to totally undersell myself! :-) I used to make sure my cars were in great shape. In fact, I was the one who turned my Dad onto Adam's about 20 years ago. I had an Rx-7 convertible, a Supra Turbo Targa top and truck - all at the same time. The Rx-7 and Supra were always well cared for. But get married, have a couple kids, and working...doesn't leave much time.

You make a good point re: it's condition. Here are some photos. Before I drove it to DC from NC I went over it with Maguiar's Quick detailer and Adam's VRT (tires looked great) - cleaned it all - even nooks and crannies - was really clean. But it's been here for about 3 weeks and I've already had to wash it 5 times (damn pollen and "helicopters"). I'm definitely going to cover it, but would like to get it protected first and have no idea about the rims. ???

Thanks again for reply.
ssg10587 (05-14-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 03:41 PM
Scott1616
8th Gear

Hey Bob - Thanks for the reply and condolences...

My Dad's name was Bob too! :-) It was unexpected and my Mom's health is compromised too. So, it's all up to me...Had to move her up to DC from NC - can't live alone. Another reason I have no time to spend having fun detailing it. Anyway, I was going to sell it, but it's in such good condition and I suppose out of some sort of tribute/respect, going to keep it for a bit. But since it's no longer garaged, I want to make sure I keep properly cared for. I just had to spend almost 800 to get the passenger side window fixed (wouldn't go up or down...new motor put in). That was the only thing wrong with it other than the rt. front tire pressure sensor not working.

As I mentioned in my reply to FYR, it was as perfect as I could get it before I left NC. Washed, Maguiar's Quick Detailer, interior wiped with Adam's VRT, tires, engine, and every nook and cranny cleaned.

But these rims (and rust spots) are driving me nuts. And before I cover it, I want to get it is a perfect and protected as I can get it.

Any thoughts, greatly appreciated.

Note: Sounds like you've had a few Vettes. My Dad had a '66, a '68 convertible, and this 2002. His brother had '67??? the one with a 427 with the 3, 2 barrel carbs. And my other uncle just spent almost 100K and a new one - the "racing" version/option. If I win the lottery, a split window '63 with a 327 would be a fun one to have!

Thanks again for the reply and kind words.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:29 PM
ssg10587
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 82 Posts

Rust spots on rotors will always happen. Rotors rust extremely easily but it is surface rust that comes off as soon as you brake again. Wash and clay clean up the rims?
Old 05-14-2019, 07:35 PM
Scott1616
8th Gear

Thanks for the reply.

The first 7 or 8 years my Dad had it, it was outside with a car cover. It developed the rust spots then. And then they moved to NC where it was garaged. But the rust spots never went away, then again, it was really never driven. 2002 - 2018 only about 24,000 miles. It sat so long, the tires, which had plenty of tread, actually dry rotted and he had to spend 2K on new tires in '16. He was not happy! :-)

I'll drive it a bit and see if that clears up the rust, if not, may try a fine steel wool.

After a week of looking around, researching online, and getting input, think I'm going to go with Zaino's and maybe some Adams' products and see just how nice I can get it. The clay bar on the rims sounds like a good idea. Again, thanks for the response and input - much appreciated
Old 05-15-2019, 07:53 AM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,033 Likes on 609 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

If protection (as car sits outside) is what you seek, I'd skip the Zaino. Our 2004 Vette was literally ensconced in Zaino for many, many years and ended up with etched water spots in the paint and if'n ya didn't take bird-bombs off immediately, they ate right down to the paint. Zaino has a nice look that many enjoy but protection is minimal. Add to the fact that at this point, it's pretty old technology as well.

If ya want some decent protection with minimal effort at a reasonable cost and you don't wanna go thru the whole machine polish ritual perhaps a nice place to start would be:

1. Wash
2. Clay
3. McKees Coating Prep Polish, can do by hand ( https://www.mckees37.com/coating-prep-polish.html )
4. Gyeon CanCoat
5. Maintain with Gyeon Bathe+ as car wash

Likely under $100-$150 total investment, know someone who reported a year+ longevity with that combo but if ya get bored, re-apply CanCoat in 6 months. Another nice sealant choice is IGL Premier. You'll get some pretty decent protection at relatively little cost, easy maintenance.

As for wheels, give 'em a good polishing with something like White Diamond Metal Polish (available at auto parts store) or similar. My brake rotors rust every time I was car, just hit the brakes and it's gone. You do seem to have heavier rusting on rotors than the usual but can't hurt to try.

Originally Posted by Scott1616
Thanks for the reply.

The first 7 or 8 years my Dad had it, it was outside with a car cover. It developed the rust spots then. And then they moved to NC where it was garaged. But the rust spots never went away, then again, it was really never driven. 2002 - 2018 only about 24,000 miles. It sat so long, the tires, which had plenty of tread, actually dry rotted and he had to spend 2K on new tires in '16. He was not happy! :-)

I'll drive it a bit and see if that clears up the rust, if not, may try a fine steel wool.

After a week of looking around, researching online, and getting input, think I'm going to go with Zaino's and maybe some Adams' products and see just how nice I can get it. The clay bar on the rims sounds like a good idea. Again, thanks for the response and input - much appreciated
Scott1616 (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 04:45 PM
Scott1616
8th Gear

Thanks for all the info/product referrals....I will def. look into them.

I've got a Mazda Tribute (SUV) I think I'm going to use as my "test car" It could use a thorough detailing so think I'll try a few diff. products and then use whatever seems best on the Vette.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:16 PM
WIC7Diver
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Scott,

Sorry for your loss. It's evident from the pictures your Dad loved that car. Glad that you're able to carry on the tradition.

Everyone else has covered paint and you're in good hands. I've got the exact interior and rims on my C5 and here's my plan for the rims:
  1. Tires off and clean thoroughly.
  2. Steel wool rim barrels with 0000 gauge steel wool and soapy water. That should minimize the pitting.
  3. Any remaining corrosion attack with appropriate grit wet sand paper. ( I say appropriate because its going to depend how aggressive I have to get with the pitting. If spots are really bad, I'm going to have to go heavy handed 400-800 grit 1500-2000 to correct the 400-800 then polish with machine until all traces of corrosion is gone.
  4. Thoroughly wash and Clay entire rim again.
  5. IPA (Isopropal Alcohol) wipe down barrel.
  6. Tape off chrome side
  7. 2K clear barrels.
My hope is that I only half to do this once and then my regular wash routine can keep the barrels clean from there on out. I know it's going to take a bit to do but I only want to do it once.

I'll throw up some Pics when I get it done.

Get notified of new replies

To Inherited Dad's pristine (24,456) 2002 Red Vette - advice on paint/int. upkeep pls.

Quick Reply: Inherited Dad's pristine (24,456) 2002 Red Vette - advice on paint/int. upkeep pls.