Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

clay bar

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 09:34 AM
tT-REXXX
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clay bar

could some one explain the process of clay baring to me my best effort on waxing cars is wax on wax off. what does it do, is it worth it,etc. :chevy
Old 08-09-2003, 09:52 AM
P626808
Pro

Default Re: clay bar (tT-REXXX)

It is worth it..
Clean the car with Dawn..
Spray the car with a water based lubricant.. (Water and a carwash solution work well)Then wipe it down with the clay bar.. kneeding it as the clay bar gets dirty..
Then watch as the dirt comes off..
That is about it :thumbs:
Old 08-09-2003, 09:55 AM
Jesse
Administrator

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Founder St. Jude Fundraiser

Default Re: clay bar (P626808)

It is worth it..
Clean the car with Dawn..
Spray the car with a water based lubricant.. (Water and a carwash solution work well)Then wipe it down with the clay bar.. kneeding it as the clay bar gets dirty..
Then watch as the dirt comes off..
That is about it :thumbs:
:iagree: :thumbs:
Old 08-09-2003, 10:02 AM
GaryZ06
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also shape it like a pancake and slide it back and forth with light pressure....keep it well lubricated....you will feel it to slide easier and easier as it cleans your paint.To me it is the most important step.Make sure you make two pieces out the clay cause if you drop it throw it away and use a new piece.
Old 08-09-2003, 10:04 AM
tT-REXXX
Drifting

Default Re: clay bar (P626808)

so it looks like i'm stripping the old wax off and using the water and carwash as a lube to prevent scratches while claying it. sounds good but a lot of work. thanks! :D
Old 08-09-2003, 10:11 AM
MilYellow02
Team Owner

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

I would use either a spray bottle of soapy water or Meguiar's Quick Detail spray.
Cut less than a 2" section of the clay and knead it into a pancake. Make sure your hands are clean. Set the bar on a clean towel or similar so nothing adheres to the clay. Now wash your car with dawn and while it is wet this is a great time to clay. Do one panel at a time. Never use a circular motion with the bar. Skate front to back or vice versa and do not use a lot of pressure (just let the clay bar do all the work) Take a bottle of Quick Detailer spray and really get the panel you are working on very wet and spray down the bar as well and 'skate' away. After each panel, knead the bar to start with a clean part of the clay. Also after each section, go ahead and rinse the panel with water to keep from having water spots. After you are done claying, wash the car again and dry with a Fieldcrest Made in the USA 100% cotton towel or similar and apply your favorite polish/wax. Also it would be smart to lay a large towel on the ground under each panel that you are claying just in case you drop the bar.

Note *The key is make sure the surface you are working on is very wet
Note *Only do this on a clean and cool surface
Note *If you drop the bar on something other that the towel, throw it away immediately (do not try to knead to a clean section)
Note *Check the bar from time to time to make sure nothing has embedded into it
Note *Do not use a circular motion
Old 08-09-2003, 10:36 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,411 Likes on 14,036 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I need to do this to mine also. I saw a demo at the 50th and using the clay bar really made the car's paint smooth. This is my next project.
Old 08-09-2003, 10:49 AM
Yoggi
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Have to admit, I was wondering what the clay bar was also. Thanks all for the education.

Now next Q. Where do you get it?
Old 08-09-2003, 10:52 AM
MilYellow02
Team Owner

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Re: clay bar (Yoggi)

Have to admit, I was wondering what the clay bar was also. Thanks all for the education.

Now next Q. Where do you get it?
If you don't mind spending some $ go to http://www.meguiars.com and buy the professional line not the consumer.

Mother's makes a great bar that you can find at Pep Boys, AutoZone and sometimes Walmart. I would call in advance.

Old 08-09-2003, 11:07 AM
davyalabama
Melting Slicks

Do a search - Detailing Dude has some fabulous tips---

That is the best information I have posted all day. :jester
Old 08-09-2003, 12:47 PM
jdetar
Burning Brakes

clar-bay definitely makes a difference. Make sure to lube with not only water, but a car wash soap like Zaino's, not something like Dawn. Proper lubrication is a must or the clar-bar will come off and stick to the paint causing you a little bit of a hassle.

If you drop it, you don't always have to throw it away. Use common sense. If there's only a small section of contamination then rip off that part and throw it away. Just don't gnead it into the bar.
Old 08-09-2003, 12:51 PM
Grumpy
MONARTOR

Received 132 Likes on 68 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-17-'18-'19'-20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Re: clay bar (jdetar)

I clay mine at least 2 times a year, unless I've gone on a long road trip. Then I do it after that..
Old 08-09-2003, 12:53 PM
Corvette SSX
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Just did the clay bar treatment on the new Z06 this morning. You think the car is clean after the dawn wash, but you'll be amazed at what the clay bar removes. And you will never feel a cleaner smoother surface than after claying and polishing. It's absolutly amazing and worth the time and effort.
Old 08-09-2003, 01:21 PM
Busted Knuckle
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: clay bar (CorvetteSS)

Be very careful. If you pick up a tiny piece of metal in the clay it will do more harm than good. I know. It happened to me. :(
Old 08-09-2003, 01:41 PM
beachcat
Safety Car

All great tips above. I just wanted to say it really isn't a lot of extra work, you use very little pressure and you will be done in no time.
Also, becareful if you buy at a retail. Look in the box to make sure the clay bar is there. I went through 5 boxes till I found one that had the bar. Some stores now keep it behind the counter.
Enjoy.
:cheers:
Old 08-10-2003, 02:26 AM
mitymek
Melting Slicks

the only clay bar i could find was in a mothers kit.worked good but it was kinda small.(maybe they all are)
carquest carried a 3m product in a can but when i opened it at the store it had 2 of the same sized bars in it and they wanted over 50 bucks for it.no thanks.
its fun to do really,i just spritzed speed shine on the bar and car and rubbed away.
the mothers kit comes with everything you need.
other brands probly do too. :cheers:
Old 08-11-2003, 07:02 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default clay bar

I had to get the mothers kit just now. I'll have to get a bunch of Zaino clay bars when I place my next order.

The bars will take a beating on cars that are neglected or are heavily soiled.

I've done cars that wrecked the clay bar from one use. The back bumper area can be downright scary! :eek:

It's a terrific little trick to do to your car though....it feels nice when it's done.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:55 PM
C5BlkVette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08,'16,'18,'21-'22,'24

Default Re: clay bar (MilYellow02)

I would use either a spray bottle of soapy water or Meguiar's Quick Detail spray.
Cut less than a 2" section of the clay and knead it into a pancake. Make sure your hands are clean. Set the bar on a clean towel or similar so nothing adheres to the clay. Now wash your car with dawn and while it is wet this is a great time to clay. Do one panel at a time. Never use a circular motion with the bar. Skate front to back or vice versa and do not use a lot of pressure (just let the clay bar do all the work) Take a bottle of Quick Detailer spray and really get the panel you are working on very wet and spray down the bar as well and 'skate' away. After each panel, knead the bar to start with a clean part of the clay. Also after each section, go ahead and rinse the panel with water to keep from having water spots. After you are done claying, wash the car again and dry with a Fieldcrest Made in the USA 100% cotton towel or similar and apply your favorite polish/wax. Also it would be smart to lay a large towel on the ground under each panel that you are claying just in case you drop the bar.

Note *The key is make sure the surface you are working on is very wet
Note *Only do this on a clean and cool surface
Note *If you drop the bar on something other that the towel, throw it away immediately (do not try to knead to a clean section)
Note *Check the bar from time to time to make sure nothing has embedded into it
Note *Do not use a circular motion
Great instructions!! That's the new instruction I am following :)

Andy

Get notified of new replies

To clay bar

Quick Reply: clay bar