Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Zaino vs NXT - Not an opinion, the FACTS...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 09:14 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

You all have noted this thread is over 8 years old ??? I believe every product and line listed has been updated numerous times since then. Perhaps its best to allow old posts to remain in archives ???
Old 05-19-2012, 07:53 PM
tampatopless
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
You all have noted this thread is over 8 years old ??? I believe every product and line listed has been updated numerous times since then. Perhaps its best to allow old posts to remain in archives ???
True Dat, Killer. Plus, I wish people would put their car color in their posts. I think certain products work better on certain colors.

I have a Monterey Red Vette. I am looking for a wet, glossy look as opposed to the reflective look.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:14 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by tampatopless
I have a Monterey Red Vette. I am looking for a wet, glossy look as opposed to the reflective look.
generally speaking you probably will become more of a fan of 'nuba based products. You will however need to apply more often but some (like Pinnacle) are so easy to apply/remove you wont mind at all. I suspect you would like DP Max Wax, Pinnacle SSII, Pinnacle Liquid Souveran, Dodo Juice Hard Candy or Wolfgang Fuzion.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:01 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Just waxed with NXT 2.0! Very easy to apply and take off! Love the stuff.

Last edited by meadowz06; 05-22-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:47 PM
Rich98
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, interesting thread.

IMHO, whatever you find that works best for you, IS best.

I use Blackfire wet diamond as my final protection, doesn't mean it's the best, just that I like the way it performs, I've tried numerous products and don't really see a difference in overall looks.

The trick to the best shine is correctly compounding and polishing BEFORE you apply all of these products.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by WWK888
After all that...its still an opinion.
agreed.......

BTW, try using paragraphs, it would make it much easier to read.
OMG, yes, damn near impossible as it is.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:51 PM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
exactly......
Old 06-20-2012, 12:36 PM
sb70ss
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zaino Triplet Pack

FYI-
Tried the Zaino triplet pack (Z-A10, Z-CS, & Z-8) last weekend and followed all instructions including washing with Dawn and was very pleased with the results. I highly recommend this product.
Note- I also tried the leather Z-10 product and that is great as well.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:40 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Some facts

Zaino is 99% optically clear. Most other products are not... the reason is because most of the products use an organic product known as Carnuba. Is very cheap and is yellow in color. It causes water to bead but and adds protection BUT..... it is not 99% optically clear for this reason.Zaino is UV stable and can be applied on a black car in the direct sun in a Nevada desert at 140 degrees ambient with 160 f* on the actual car surface.

Zaino can last up to a year for UV PROTECTION....LOOKING Wet is what Zaino does...and because there is no Carnuba, you do not see any milkiness, which most people are blind to see unless you put one next to the other.
A thin coat of a Carnuba based product looks wet, but it's not 99% optically clear....it's Yellow.

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 07-25-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:23 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I have been very sick for the last year and a half being in and out of the hospital. I haven't touched my car in well over a year.. No Zaino , No nothing... the car has been sitting... it still looks wet... a simple wipe down with gloss enhancer and it looks like it was just detailed. No One has ever touched my car's finish in 18 years, but me.

Was able to get up to my gun club... here is a shot taken with more than a year without Zaino. Even in the shadows , this side of my car looks like a mirror.

been detailing for 55 years of my 71 years of life... found Zaino 18 years ago, and nothing compares.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:38 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Qualifier..... and apology

I don't spend any time here, but wanted to say.. there are lots of good products out there today... With the Advent of a Mass-spectrometer, there are no secret formulas any more. There are many clones of Products like Zaino. But back in 1997 when I was still working at the GM Corvette design studio, there was nothing out there like Zaino.

For my money, some clay bar, a bottle of Show car polish, some gloss enhancer, tire shine, and leather in a bottle is all that I need. It has served me well over the last 18 years.
Bill aka ET

BTW, this thread shows up in " related threads " whenever a "New Thread on Zaino, or NXT products are opened... that's how I found my way here to this old thread... Sometimes an update to an old thread is worth updating and adding new content to old thoughts. Zaino is still very relevant in present day applications. Paint that looks " Wet" and offers a high degree of UV protection and optical clarity is worthy to view even today. Many people have no idea that a Carnauba based product is Yellow.

Bill aka ET

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 07-25-2016 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:11 PM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

i'd like to thank all of you for not bringing ''rejects'' into the issue . . peace
Old 07-25-2016, 05:44 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

I would share a couple items ....

1. This post started back in 2004, there are 12 years of advancement
2. Most of the products offered are sealants (synthetic), and not 'nuba based
3. Gloss is very easy to mimic and apply in modern products, depth is still the one item most "wax" users miss and cannot. That's why most coatings are reflective and mirror or plastic like to try and avoid the missing depth. Modern ceramic coatings far exceed the gloss factor of most sealants.
4. UV Protection is often an ingredient added in car products, not all products naturally or within their makeup offer UV inhibitors.

In the end there are many great products. A properly prepped surface and finish is worth more in final looks than any one wax or sealant. With the advancement of hydrophobic technology as well as coatings, you can apply one product and have a pristine showcar like finish for year(s) with nothing more than proper washing and drying.

Last edited by Killrwheels@Autogeek; 07-25-2016 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:24 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 220 Posts

Old 07-27-2016, 10:16 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by WWK888
After all that...its still an opinion. BTW, try using paragraphs, it would make it much easier to read.

And even spaces between lines.

Just hard to read keeping on track.

Back to your test, I have never tried Zaino and am a big fan of the Klasse system using the Sonus products as follow up.

With a MS color car I am more concerned with durability since most products look almost the same.

Last edited by Boomer111; 07-27-2016 at 10:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ronkh57 (07-28-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 12:30 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 220 Posts

So if you like Z so much, why not buy DuraGloss and save a boat load of $$$$$$

Old 07-31-2016, 12:36 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by C5corvetteman
Well, all I can say is I used Zaino's, once. Will not take a second chance to mess up my clear coat finished. It stained into my clear coat because I put too much on the finish. I thought I put on the thinest coat possible, but I guess I put a bit more on than expected. It came off good, but did not see the cloudy finish and stain until hours later when I went for a drive and parked under the lights at a local gas station. It was more eveident the next day under direct sun light. I emailed Sal and he provided me instructions on removal, but to no avail, the streaks and cloudy apparance was still there. I tried to remove it with DX-330, it worked for the most part, but not completely. :mad :mad However, after using NXT, it cleared it up some, but the remaining cloudy looks has an impact on my shine I desire. Looks like I will eventially have my vehicle painted. :mad :mad Until then, it will be NXT all the way.
I use Zaino at my detail shop and have never in the 15 years of using it or working with customers that do it themselves, experienced this. I have had customer lather it on, and use 3-4 ozs of a bottle and never run into this. I have seen it all and have never seen Zaino ruin a paint job. I have always been able to correct a mistake. Not buying this was a Zaino issue for a second.

Last edited by Grzldvt1; 07-31-2016 at 12:40 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Zaino vs NXT - Not an opinion, the FACTS...

Old 07-31-2016, 04:45 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by C5corvetteman
Well, all I can say is I used Zaino's, once. Will not take a second chance to mess up my clear coat finished. It stained into my clear coat because I put too much on the finish. I thought I put on the thinest coat possible, but I guess I put a bit more on than expected. It came off good, but did not see the cloudy finish and stain until hours later when I went for a drive and parked under the lights at a local gas station. It was more eveident the next day under direct sun light. I emailed Sal and he provided me instructions on removal, but to no avail, the streaks and cloudy apparance was still there. I tried to remove it with DX-330, it worked for the most part, but not completely. :mad :mad However, after using NXT, it cleared it up some, but the remaining cloudy looks has an impact on my shine I desire. Looks like I will eventially have my vehicle painted. :mad :mad Until then, it will be NXT all the way.

All I can say is that Ive turned it ( Zaino ) onto hundreds of people and not one ever had a bad word to say about it... I've been doing this for 55 years/// Your problem is the NXT which you have been using has Carnauba in it, and by your own admission, you put it on heavy... Carnauba is Yellow as I mentioned ( and showed ).. and because you never saw through a 99% optically clear product like Zaino before, , it only brought out the poor surface of your finish which was a product of cheap Carnauba which you formerly use.. to prove it, You put is back on and because is not 99% optically clear the NXT just made the finish yellow again.. kind of like using primer so you don't see a poor paint job.

Zaino is not cloudy under any circumstance and can be applied to a black car in direct sunlight, in 140 * F temps, with out any issues in removal of any degradation of its optical clarity.

OK enough on the defense of Zaino... came here to add my opinion, and after 18 years, it's better than anything I've used in the past 55 years,including NXT. Which was completely disappointing to me.

My 99 C5 is 18 years old in these shots and has 100,000 miles... Zaino only

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 07-31-2016 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:24 PM
YLWFVR75
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 91 Posts
SE Michigan Coordinator
CI 3, 4, 5, 6, 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11,-'13-'14-'15
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Wow. This thread is older than Obama's presidency.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:41 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

I detail on the side and I use NXT 2.0 exclusively, its a great product and has great lasting power as long as you use a quality car wash like Megs Gold Class and use a quality detailer for wipe downs.

This is my car, I did a paint correction almost 2 years ago, it gets tracked about 6 times a year and I have put 20,000 miles on it since I got it. It still looks killer, it has been waxed 2 times in those 2 years.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 07-31-2016 at 07:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Zaino vs NXT - Not an opinion, the FACTS...