Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Bird @#%$ on my new '04 Mag Red coupe

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 08:31 AM
American Dream
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bird @#%$ on my new '04 Mag Red coupe

Got hit by birds yesterday for the first time. Got home and cleaned the mess off, but there are still outlines of the droppings on my finish. Did the droppings eat into my paint finish?! How do I get this out? Please advise, and also recommend how to care for my finish. I was never a big waxer, but then again never had this sweet of a ride, either! I need protocols on product types, how to wipe wax off (what cloths or whatever to use), and how often this should be done. Thanks for helping a corvette newbie!
Old 07-10-2004, 09:57 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,808 Likes on 984 Posts

Pickup some 3M Scratch and Swirl Remover, that will take care of your bird etching, bird dropping can etch your clear coat depending on what the birds are eating and what time of the year it is. For waxing your car there are many products, synthetics will outlast carnauba products up to 5 to 1 in durablity
Old 07-11-2004, 03:14 PM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

what was on the car prior to the birdie doo-doo ?? (Wax, sealant) I see this outline or etching more with sealants like Zaino, Blackfire then with carnubas ... seem to trap it in the sealant. Most come off with a little polish and some prep work, but cannot seem to understand why it wipes off without issue on a properly coated carnuba finish. Is it the oils ???
Old 07-11-2004, 09:51 PM
American Dream
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bird @%# Dilemma

OK, guys, here goes the progress update. The car is my brand new (3 weeks old) '04 Mag Red Coupe, and the bird crap definitely left an outline of where it was on my virgin factory finish (no wax, no polish, no nothin'). I took all of the suggestions given on this forum, and washed the car with Dawn, then took a Mother's Clay bar to it, and it is still there and just as noticeable. I will wax with NXT tomorrow, as I am pooped from washing and clay barring, not to mention shopping at two auto stores. So the issue is now, will wax alone remove it? I will add this to my prayers when I kneel down tonight! If it doesn't, I will have to find a store that carries the 3M products to step up my efforts. A question on the clay bar: Is it just me, or is this a lot of effort with little return?! Maybe because the car is essentially brand spanking new it's less of an effect? I know everyone swears by it, but I was expecting to see the car glow in the dark! Thanks!
Old 07-12-2004, 04:03 AM
WWK888
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really dont think the clay bar will repair etching in the paint. It will remove impurities in the paint such as rail dust. I agree with Carl as far as using some 3M products, they can be very effective for this type of problem. Just take your time and use good materials such 100% cotton towels ( I prefer microfiber towels myself). Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:11 PM
0X-AutoProducts
Supporting Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

American Dream,

sorry to hear about the mess on your car, and the resulting problem for your paint. i don't have any words of advice on how to fix it from this point. however, what happened to you happens to a lot of guys, and i know it's no fun trying to get rid of stains in paint. therefore, i'd like to offer you a solution so it won't happen again.

i'm sure you wax your car and take good care of it. but, most waxes are really soft, and when heated, either by the sun or by engine heat, wax protection really diminishes and won't stand up to acids and other contaminants (like exhaust gas residue, tree sap, acid rain, etc.). that's why polymers are becoming more and more popular. they're far more durable than waxes. you may have seen my group purchase here on this board for the last week or so for RejeX. it's incredibly tough, and produces a wet-looking shine so you get extraordinary protection and beautification from one product.

we're still offering the $16.09 group purchase price plus $2 standard shipping to ANY address. the product has a 100% satisfaction guarantee so you can't lose if you decide that you're not happy with it. however, the Marine Corps is very happy and use it on their Black Hawk helicopters.

please feel free to call me at 800-559-1192 if you have any questions, or if you'd like to place an order. take a look at our website too. it has lots of product information.

thanks,
barry
X-Auto Products
www.x-autoproducts.com

Get notified of new replies

To Bird @#%$ on my new '04 Mag Red coupe

Quick Reply: Bird @#%$ on my new '04 Mag Red coupe