Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Black Vette owners Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 09:59 AM
ScottP1985
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Vette owners Help!!!

I just bought a brand spankin new Black 04 Coupe. This has probably been beaten into the ground, but I've searched and haven't found this issue:

What Wax to use? I've tried everything, and everything leaves swirl marks where you put it on! Even NXT which works perfectly on my Bronze 85! The swirl marks disappear if you really, really buff hard, but it's killing me! My arms are gonna look like the Terminator if I gotta keep this up.

Any other tips you guys can give me, I'd sure appreciate it. THis is the most beautiful car I've ever seen when it's clean and polished...just gotta figger out a way to keep her this way.

Thanks, everyone...in advance.

Scott
Old 08-09-2004, 10:12 AM
GrandSportRob
Safety Car

Received 291 Likes on 161 Posts

Zaino!! I use Z2 and Z5 on my 02 black Grand Prix GT...One of them removes swirls and its easy to apply....
Old 08-09-2004, 10:18 AM
Mean Green
Team Owner

CI III & IV Vote Ho
CI II, III, IV & V Vet
CI IV Bracket Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by ScottP1985
This has probably been beaten into the ground...
You think?

Originally Posted by ScottP1985
.... but I've searched and haven't found this issue:
Maybe if you posted in Car Care instead of C5 General (and yes, I know it's here now only because I moved it)
Old 08-09-2004, 10:19 AM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Scott:

I don't want to start another thread about which wax is best, but if you're already familiar with NXT - then I would stick with it. I use only Meguiars products, so we'll stay on topic.

First of all, I would purchase a clay bar (either Meguiars or one of the many others) and clay bar the entire car. Take your time and do a very thorough job. When the paint is very smooth, you'll have an opportunity to examine your paint. If you have any scratches (I'm talking fine hairline type - not deep gouges!) use some Meguiars ScratchX and follow label directions. Afterwards, I suggest Meguiars Swirl remover with an DA buffer. Meguiars sells a Porter-Cable DA(dual action) and all the pads you need. The secret to using any of these products is to apply a thin and even coat - and there is no good way to do it by hand. The easiest most effective way to apply material, whether your talking about Swirl Remover or NXT is with a DA buffer - and the Porter-Cable is one of the best! After the product is dry, wipe clean with 100% white terry cloth (Field Crest hand towels, washed in liquid detergent - no fabric softener!)

Next apply Meguiars Show Car glaze. Again, apply with the buffer (using a new pad - never mix products) and remove with another clean towel after the product dries.

Finally - you're ready to apply the NXT. Application of the NXT is the same as the other products - except as you already know, you need to let the NXT cure at least 15 minutes (I prefer at least 30 minutes). I remove the dried NXT with a terry cloth towel and buff with a micro-fiber. That's it! Have fun in your garage!
Old 08-09-2004, 10:56 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Zaino, don't rub too hard, and only use 100% cotton towels with the edges trimmed.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:58 AM
ACELR8N
Pro

Had similar anxiety when I first got my 03 coupe, black, because everything causes swirls and spidery lines. Went to two detailers after doing everything imaginable with a Porter Cable orbital and Griots machine polish. The first detailer made a mess, the second used 3M swirl remover followed by Meguiars glaze. That's the best it looked. Now I maintain it by using Meguiars detail mist, NXT wax, and NXT spray wax. The spray wax is a light, easy on version of the regular NXT, and this seems to deminish the swirls as it keeps them filled in. Once you have a few coats on, the swirls will be minimal, however, depending on the angle of the sun in the sky, there will be spydery formations. I have been told by serveral painters that they are impossible to remove on Black, or other dark colors. Be careful cleaning the car as any grit on the polishing cloth will leave fine lines, especially bad when using a machine (I know, I did it even though I washed the foam pad). Build up your coats of NXT, or Zaino, or any good super polymer and the formations will be hardly noticeable through the wet look gloss. Use nothing but microfiber clothes and have several, which you launder regularly. Welcome to the Dark Side, Black Sheep Squadron. It is hell!
Old 08-09-2004, 11:13 AM
Bethlehem Bob
Racer

St. Jude Donor '08

I own a a couple of older vettes besides my 04 cpe, also black. You may laugh, but I've been using Liquid Glass for over 20 years. It works great and everyone is always asking what I use to make it shine like that.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:38 AM
ScottP1985
Instructor

Maybe I should restate about what I call swirls...its not actually little scratches, but where I put the wax down is a little...darker...after buffing. I have to buff it hard, for a while to get it all even. it's like it's thicker there or something, not a mark in the paint...just a slightly different black there. It's hard to describe, so I apologize...almost as if the wax is smeared...
Old 08-09-2004, 12:16 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

That means you are applying far too much in those areas. You should hardly see it as you are applying it.

If that happens, just let it sit longer or spray a little QD on and the wipe it off.

Some microfiber towels will also make it easier to remove. I use towels from Pak Shak. www.pakshak.com
Old 08-09-2004, 12:40 PM
Bethlehem Bob
Racer

St. Jude Donor '08

We run into that 'smearing' problem here at the dealership from time to time. Usually it is caused by high humidity (wax doesn't dry) or they didn't wait for the car's surface to cool after pulling it into the garage. What you describe (darker areas and streaks) is very common on darker colors if the above applies.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:10 PM
MM89
Advanced

If its black, you need to use Pinnacle Souveran. Us mem bers get a 10% discount!!!!!!
Old 08-09-2004, 09:20 PM
denali
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

http://www.thedetailingbible.com/

The best advice can be found at the above.

Get notified of new replies

To Black Vette owners Help!!!

Quick Reply: Black Vette owners Help!!!