Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Water Spots

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 03:27 PM
C5corvetteman
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Spots

I have them. At times, the hood or top and hatch dries quicker than I can get to them with the towel....I am able to remove most with the damp towel, but there are many stubbering water spots that just will not go away. I use Z6 and nothing....

Will claying remove them? I know I will have to use my 3M SMR, but I just did that 3 weeks ago and have two coats of Z5 on there now.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:40 PM
LiquidDI
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C5corvetteman
I have them. At times, the hood or top and hatch dries quicker than I can get to them with the towel....I am able to remove most with the damp towel, but there are many stubbering water spots that just will not go away. I use Z6 and nothing....

Will claying remove them? I know I will have to use my 3M SMR, but I just did that 3 weeks ago and have two coats of Z5 on there now.

best thing in the world to remove water spots is 50/50 solution of vinegar and water. I have a couple of jet ski's and it took me years to figure this out. You will not believe how well it works. Also, just mix it in a spray bottle and away you go.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:33 PM
C5corvetteman
Safety Car

I am sure it will work great on black clear coat, but how will it affect my Zaino's I have on there?
Old 11-11-2004, 11:58 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by LiquidDI
best thing in the world to remove water spots is 50/50 solution of vinegar and water. I have a couple of jet ski's and it took me years to figure this out. You will not believe how well it works. Also, just mix it in a spray bottle and away you go.
Nope I tried the old vinegar and newspaper trick and it didn't take out water spots on glass had to revert to the glass polish from Gariots garage.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:18 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default Zaino swirl remover and claybar will work good?

In a situation where you don't use the dawn detergent or ZFX polish or Z-2 but just want to remove swirls from your car will this combo get the job done for removing swirls if you don't want to use the other initial Zaino products? Claybar first then use Zaino Z-5? This is on a car that is not a Zainoed car but is dedicated to another product for a all in one application for many years and works great.
Also how are the results if you use other products with Zaino? Will the Zaino still work good?

Last edited by LS WON; 11-12-2004 at 12:19 AM. Reason: a
Old 11-12-2004, 09:22 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

~One man’s opinion / observations~

Removing ‘water spots’ is dependant upon wither they are on the surface or under the surface (etched)

Alkaline watermarks (water spots) are calcium and magnesium salts that deposit on the surface after the water has evaporated, the minute crystals bond to the surface and are not re-dissolvable in water. Rainwater also contains alkaline minerals that alight on the paint film surface and as the water evaporates leave white `water spots' on both the paint and glass surfaces. These fall into one of two categories, a) surface or b) below surface (etched) water spots. (See also Windscreen Protective Barrier)

1. Removing water spots from paint film surface-
·Use detailing clay to remove any `hard' surface granules
·To dissolve the alkaline-based, surface/etched mineral water deposits try one or more of the following; a 5:1 solution of distilled water/distilled white vinegar, or distilled water/Isopropyl Alcohol (adjust ratio as required) or equal parts distilled water/distilled white vinegar/Isopropyl alcohol.
·Use a clean spray bottle and 100% cotton micro fibre towel to apply the solution to the paint surface
·Wipe off any residue from the paint surface and dry with a damp waffle weave towel
·If any `water spots' remain apply distilled white vinegar or Isopropyl alcohol un-diluted to a 100% cotton micro fibre towel, using a medium/heavy pressure on glass surface, for stubborn spots use an abrasive polish as in (1a)

1a) Removing etched water (below surface) spots from paint -- are caused by acid rain or industrial fallout causing a chemical reaction, if left for any length of time they will etch the paint film surface leaving a concave circular mark.

These can be removed by using detailer's clay to remove any hardened surface deposits and then using a machine polish, Iz Einzett TM Metallic Polish or Iz Einzett TM Paint Polish and a cutting (LC Orange or Yellow) foam pad (speed # 4) to level the surface, work on a very small area at a time (2-foot x 2-foot) until the polish has run out, you may have to repeat this process two or three times. Reapply surface protection once spots have been removed. Reapply surface protection once spots have been removed.

1.Removing water spots from glass- rainwater sometimes contains alkaline minerals that alight on the paint film surface and as the water evaporates leave white `water spots' on glass surfaces. Mineral deposits can be caused by water from a light summer shower, or a lawn sprinkler system that that dries on the glass surface leaving a calcium / sodium deposit. These can usually be removed by using detailer's clay to remove any hardened surface deposits, and then using a solvent type cleaner (Klasse All-In-One) For stubborn spots polish them using method (2a)

·Use detailing clay to remove any `hard' surface granules
·To dissolve the alkaline-based, surface/etched mineral water deposits try one or more of the following; a 5:1 solution of distilled water/distilled white vinegar, or distilled water/Isopropyl Alcohol (adjust ratio as required) or equal parts distilled water/distilled white vinegar/Isopropyl alcohol.
·Use a clean spray bottle and 100% cotton Microfiber cloth to apply the solution to the glass surface
·Wipe off any residue from glass and dry with a damp waffle weave towel
·If any `water spots' remain apply distilled white vinegar or Isopropyl alcohol un-diluted to 100% cotton micro fibre towel, using a medium/heavy pressure on glass surface.
·If this does not remove the `water spots' use Autoglym Car Glass PolishTM and #0000 or #000 steel wool, use straight-line motions only (circular motions cause swirl marks)

2a) Removing etched (below surface) water spots from glass--- are caused by acid rain or industrial fallout causing a chemical reaction, if left for any length of time they will etch the paint film surface leaving a concave circular mark.

These can usually be removed using detailer's clay to remove any hardened surface deposits and then using Autoglym Car Glass PolishTM with #0000 synthetic steel wool or a random orbital buffer (speed # 4) and a cutting foam pad (LC orange or yellow) to level the surface.

Do not use- an abrasive cleaner; glass polish or any grade synthetic steel wool on after market-tinted glass or you will probably scratch the surface.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM
Old 11-12-2004, 09:46 AM
C5corvetteman
Safety Car

The water spots are on the surface. I do not have water spots on the windows,,,,,

Get notified of new replies

To Water Spots

Quick Reply: Water Spots