Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Attention E-town Racers with Muffler Eliminators

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 12:02 AM
REDGAR
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

If you go down the list of rules for Saturday racing you will see that the first and foremost rule is must be street muffled. It is on there schedule. The db measuring is used to ensure muffled cars are withing a db limit.

I can see RPs reasoning if rule number one is not met there is no need to go to rule two. Strict, yes, but that is what they want.

Fact of the matter is, we have a few violators and I don't think it is malicious, but it is happening because of previous lenient enforcement. I had elims on my C4 at one point.

I tried to get the db limit to go before muffler existence but could not get that to happen.

Neil, I agree we should have been made aware of stricter enformence earlier, but we should have complied earlier as well so I have to think we have very close to equal repsonsibility. This is not a new rule and the fact that we have till april 1st is because I asked for an extension to the enforcement. otherwise, drivers would not be allowed to race staring with our previous race.

For your nationals comment, E-town has a set number of dedicated "noise days" a year in which they can operarte above the limits and that is how they have the nationals and all the other events that allows them to go over those limits.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:05 AM
REDGAR
Team Owner

CI VI Drag Champ!

I have been asked the definition of muffler eliminators.

Basically I used the term becuase you can look in a any corvette catalog and see pipes for sale that follow stock lines but no mufflers.

Basically no mufflers is a problem.

the term RP used is non-baffled
Old 03-15-2006, 12:31 AM
black knight 06
Pro

Originally Posted by REDGAR
If you go down the list of rules for Saturday racing you will see that the first and foremost rule is must be street muffled. It is on there schedule. The db measuring is used to ensure muffled cars are withing a db limit.

I can see RPs reasoning if rule number one is not met there is no need to go to rule two. Strict, yes, but that is what they want.

Fact of the matter is, we have a few violators and I don't think it is malicious, but it is happening because of previous lenient enforcement. I had elims on my C4 at one point.

I tried to get the db limit to go before muffler existence but could not get that to happen.

Neil, I agree we should have been made aware of stricter enformence earlier, but we should have complied earlier as well so I have to think we have very close to equal repsonsibility. This is not a new rule and the fact that we have till april 1st is because I asked for an extension to the enforcement. otherwise, drivers would not be allowed to race staring with our previous race.

For your nationals comment, E-town has a set number of dedicated "noise days" a year in which they can operarte above the limits and that is how they have the nationals and all the other events that allows them to go over those limits.
does the rule say or mean you have to have mufflers or the noise your car makes can not be any higher than a certain db level?
It seems like there is a contradiction here. Im sure this issue will be brought up at the banquet
Old 03-15-2006, 12:46 AM
REDGAR
Team Owner

CI VI Drag Champ!

Two different rules.
1. must have mufflers
2. must meet db level
Old 03-15-2006, 12:53 AM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

If you meet the db rule this is all you need.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...0265&langId=-1
Old 03-15-2006, 03:15 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mackeyred96
If you meet the db rule this is all you need.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...0265&langId=-1

These mufflers provide minimal sound reduction, and are intened primarily for situations where a muffler rule is in effect with no specific decibel requirements.
translation: stupid product will put you in compliance with stupid rule. Basically, same thing I suggested earlier, but not as pretty.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:06 AM
markshaw70redBB
Pro

NOISE REGULATIONS REMAIN FOR STREET NIGHTS IN 2003

ALL FRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY RACERS READ THIS!
Corredores de los Viernes el la noche y los Sabados en la tarde
FAVOR LEER

HOW TO TEST

In an effort to go above and beyond New Jersey State Law and local ordinances, Raceway Park will continue noise regulations for both of Raceway Park's muffled racing nights, Friday and Saturday. They are the following:
All race vehicles competing at Raceway Park during muffled street events will be required to be "Street Muffled". For cars-All exhaust units must extend past the rear seam of the driver/passenger door jambs (Bullet or Collector mufflers will not be permitted to run). The more exhaust pipe after the muffler the better. Turndowns are also recommended. All mufflers must be a baffled type with 2 or 3 baffles recommended. Street mufflers are also required on Motorcycles, these will be judged on an individual basis. Raceway Park management defines the term 'street muffled' as "if you're too loud to drive on the street without the threat of getting pulled over, don't race on a street night".
As usual, all race vehicles will be required to proceed through tech inspection. Any that seem to be too loud will be tested using a db meter. Tech inspection will be using a standard Radio Shack type sound meter. In order to get a reading the tech inspector will stand 100' behind vehicle with the meter set to slow A. The racer will then rev the engine to 5,500 RPM holding it for five seconds. If the meter reads above 90 db at tech you are too loud and are illegal to race on street days/nights. Those vehicles that fail and are deemed too loud at tech inspection will receive a refund. Those vehicles that pass tech inspection but, then exceed the db limit on the strip will be disqualified without refund (as many racers alter their exhaust after tech inspection). Management reserves the right to alter these rules when necessary.
We thank all of our racers for their years of support and co-operation in advance for this matter. The Raceway Park management is dedicated to keeping the peace with our neighbors for the future of racing at Raceway Park. Raceway Park will be celebrating the start of another great 39 years in 2003.

ATTENTION TURBOCHARGED RACERS:
IF RACING IN MUFFLED ONLY EVENT YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO MEET NOISE REGULATIONS. THEREFORE A MUFFLER MAY BE REQUIRED. SEE TECH INSPECTION OFFICIALS FOR DETAILS.

Raceway Park Management

For further information please contact:
Raceway Park - 732.446.7800
info@etownraceway.com

<<back

facility | drag schedule | rules | motorcross | general info | points | directions | sponsors | gallery | jobs | links | contact

The current RP web page doesn't even display this noise ordinance which I traced from the Challenge web site. It is dated 2003. Paul Z, note the wording for turbo cars. In that sentence the intent is to meet the limit, not the mufflers first and foremost interpretation that seems to be dominating this discussion.

It is this rule that I have been conforming to over years. Extend past the doors and turn the "mufflers" down are two features I follow.

For me, the argument is going to be over their term " collector mufflers".

We'll see.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:28 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by markshaw70redBB

(Bullet or Collector mufflers will not be permitted to run).

It is this rule that I have been conforming to over years. Extend past the doors and turn the "mufflers" down are two features I follow.

For me, the argument is going to be over their term " collector mufflers".

We'll see.
By collector mufflers, don't they mean mufflers that attach right after the header collector? That's how I read it and I know a lot of Sunday guys are set up that way.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:46 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Well some more of my two cents.

The noise law is BS, but it's been in effect for quite some time.

It's like sticky posts, nobody reads them, but they are right in front of you.

What we need to do is call a town meeting and have all the residents within 3 miles of the track evicted for infringing on our right to have fun.

They are the problem and this hits close to home for me because I've libved in the same house for 30 years and my neighbors want me out. I'm different than they are, I don't have the same religious beliefs, they try anything they can to get me out.

I've been served two violations for having too many cars(some kind of parked illegally but yet on my own property). BUt the law I'm breaking, they are allowed to do because they start screaming about discrimination, well I'm the one being discriminated against.

I stop at stop signs in my neighborhood. I'm the only one who does. I'm the only one who follows the speed limit in my neighborhood. I do everything by the book. Why? Because I like my house, I like how it is close to work. I have 14 years before I canretire, I'm not going anywhere.

Back to the surrounding area of the track. How many jerkoffs do you see tailgating you because you are driving too slow? The speed limit on most of Pension Road is 25 mph(35 as you get closer to the auction). I do 25 when I enter and exit Raceway Park, aside from most of you, I think I'm the only one.

I'm the only one who stops at the stop sign on Union Hill Road at Pension Road.

Last Saturday as I'm driving down Pension Road, I had a guy get mad at me because he actually had to stop at the stop sign and wait for me to go by. He slmost took off my rear bumper, he couldn't wait the .001 seconds longer for me to pass. Same for the jerk riding my ***.

We need to do something about the residents of Old Bridge and Englishtown and whatever other community is involved in going against us.

We have to stop being on the defense and start on the offense. I'm told I can be very offensive. Raceway Park and all the racers have complied with everything handed down, but what have they done for us? They act like it's a favor that we are allowed to race in the first place.

The only people who have a right to complain are those who lived there before 1965.

Why can't city folk stay in the city? They moved to teh country to get away from it all and in a few years they bring the city in.

I've seen it all over Ocean and Monmouth County.

Who remembers when Route 9 by Edgars house was only one lane in each direction.

Who remembers when Edgar's neighborhood was the only one in Howell?

Who remembers when County Line Rd in Jackson was only one lane each way?

Who remembers when the combined population of Jackson and Howell equalled the amount of teeth in those two towns?

It used to take me 20 minutes to get to E-Town frommy house, now it takes closer to 45 and that's going either Route 9 or the back roads. It's ****ing ridiculous.

We need to fight back and keep our track because we know damn well nobody in the state of NJ will build another 1/4 mile track, there simply isn't anywhere that it can be done that's convenient for everyone nor does anyone have the money to buy such a piece of land where it would be zoned as such
Old 03-15-2006, 09:18 AM
BlackC6LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well its been nice racing with you guys but after this coming Saturday I won't bother anymore. I've raced my car with muffler eliminators at RP for the past three years without a hassle. The car passed inspection meeting emissions and noise. I only bought the kit from MidAmerica instead of using straight pipes so I would have the 50-state legal paper that came with them. I for one don't have money to go out and buy a new exhaust and don't have stock mufflers to put back on. I think RP should worry about bigger things then cars not having mufflers. This is

Dave
Old 03-15-2006, 09:23 AM
markshaw70redBB
Pro

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo
By collector mufflers, don't they mean mufflers that attach right after the header collector? That's how I read it and I know a lot of Sunday guys are set up that way.
Yes, that's what collector mufflers are. The Hooker headers and side pipe combo is just that - a 4" straight tube running down the rocker panel that attaches to the header collector. The ability to add baffling materials to the tube is what transforms them into "mufflers".
Old 03-15-2006, 09:35 AM
markshaw70redBB
Pro

Update - Call made and I'm good to go. Baffles in my tubes that meet the db level are all that I need.

Of course, I still need a running car, but hey, that's another battle to go fight.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:39 AM
asmokegars
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'06-'07-'08

Update - Call made and I'm good to go. Baffles in my tubes that meet the db level are all that I need.

Of course, I still need a running car, but hey, that's another battle to go fight.
Great news Mark - now get ur done so we can see ya race!
Old 03-15-2006, 09:41 AM
Paul_Z06
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ATTENTION TURBOCHARGED RACERS:
IF RACING IN MUFFLED ONLY EVENT YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO MEET NOISE REGULATIONS. THEREFORE A MUFFLER MAY BE REQUIRED. SEE TECH INSPECTION OFFICIALS FOR DETAILS.

I assume this means I'm ok since I meet the db level. So, turbocharged cars still don't need a muffler as the turbo itself is a muffling device so long as they are below 90 db.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:43 AM
Paul_Z06
Safety Car

Frank, well put, man! I couldn't agree more. Quite frankly, every single one of the real estate agents that showed homes in the neighborhood of the track should be hung because I'm betting that 99.9% of them never informed the prospective buyers about the noise coming from the track. And if they did and the people bought the homes anyway, then you got what you asked for.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:50 AM
markshaw70redBB
Pro

Originally Posted by Paul_Z06
I assume this means I'm ok since I meet the db level. So, turbocharged cars still don't need a muffler as the turbo itself is a muffling device so long as they are below 90 db.
Paul -

Paul Bailey told me you were fine. No issues with turbo cars. I quote
"Paul Z's car is quieter than most."

Old 03-15-2006, 09:51 AM
Paul_Z06
Safety Car

Paul -

Paul Bailey told me you were fine. No issues with turbo cars. I quote
"Paul Z's car is quieter than most."

Thank God. I can now pick the wedge out of my *** and relax.

Get notified of new replies

To Attention E-town Racers with Muffler Eliminators

Old 03-15-2006, 09:54 AM
markshaw70redBB
Pro

BTW, his comments were unsolicited. He just wanted to reinforce with me that db compliance is his real objective.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:55 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Paul_Z06
Frank, well put, man! I couldn't agree more. Quite frankly, every single one of the real estate agents that showed homes in the neighborhood of the track should be hung because I'm betting that 99.9% of them never informed the prospective buyers about the noise coming from the track. And if they did and the people bought the homes anyway, then you got what you asked for.
Ask Dave Tortalani about his experience with the real estate agents in that area.
He asked to look at houses, they said they can only show on Monday,Tuesday and Thursday. He said he knew about the track, lets go right now.

Bastards that they are, they only care about the quick buck, not what happens down the road.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:59 AM
Paul_Z06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo
Ask Dave Tortalani about his experience with the real estate agents in that area.
He asked to look at houses, they said they can only show on Monday,Tuesday and Thursday. He said he knew about the track, lets go right now.

Bastards that they are, they only care about the quick buck, not what happens down the road.

I also knew that they were showing homes when the track was dark. Problem is that the people who are now unhappy with their purchase are going after e-town instead of those sleazy agents. They're chanelling their anger in the wrong direction.

Quick Reply: Attention E-town Racers with Muffler Eliminators