Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

NHRA TV Coverage....

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 01:55 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 139 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default NHRA TV Coverage....

This is not going to be about the stupid nascar race that delayed the qualifying on tv tonite...

I am just curious as to why the NHRA does not show the qualifying from friday nights instead of saturdays...everyone knows that week after week the ladder is set on friday nights...it's a rare occassion when someone will get into the field on a saturday...

The coverage is taped anyway so why not just tape it on friday and show it on saturday night?...the only drawback I can see is the sponsors would biotch since thier name would not be seen as well at night...one would think some good portable lighting could overcome that issue...

I am just tired after all these years of watching nothing more than cars running on saturday to gather data for sundays elims....boring!!!!...the excitement of qualifying for the show all happens on friday night...how about giving us a peek?...
Old 06-24-2007, 07:09 AM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dice
..... I am just curious as to why the NHRA does not show the qualifying from friday nights instead of saturdays...everyone knows that week after week the ladder is set on friday nights...The coverage is taped anyway so why not just tape it on friday and show it on saturday night?...the excitement of qualifying for the show all happens on friday night...how about giving us a peek?...
NHRA <-------------------------> doing something that makes sense.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:56 AM
Eric Fischer
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree with everything you said. Saturday qualifying is anti-climactic for both the fans at the track and the viewers at home. One solution to this is to make Saturday a night time qualifier too. Then at least at least be a chance of being able to best Friday nights performance.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:20 AM
REDGAR
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

I got a better idea!!!!!!

Show Firday night and then show Saturday highlights only where the ladder or ETs are impacted.

Oh wait...this is television and growth comes from those that don't already watch and know what is happening in great detail so the current formula might be the best for the non-regular watcher not knowing that Friday night is key
Old 06-24-2007, 09:34 AM
Glensgages
Race Director

I think watching Friday-night roof-high header-flames is the best way to bring new fans to the sport, as-opposed to repeated Saturday-afternoon tire-smokers, with crew chiefs walking-away from the starting-line, shaking their heads:
I rarely watch the Saturday qualifying shows anymore (especially the 11:00 PM shows ), because nothing of importance is shown.....
how-many times do we have-to watch the Force's and Capps?

The spectacle of the sport will sell-itself, and the casual viewer will become regular fans IF marketed correctly

Originally Posted by REDGAR
I got a better idea!!!!!!

Show Firday night and then show Saturday highlights only where the ladder or ETs are impacted.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:45 AM
RacerX70CC
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Glensgages
I think watching Friday-night roof-high header-flames is the best way to bring new fans to the sport, as-opposed to repeated Saturday-afternoon tire-smokers, with crew chiefs walking-away from the starting-line, shaking their heads:
I rarely watch the Saturday qualifying shows anymore (especially the 11:00 PM shows ), because nothing of importance is shown.....
how-many times do we have-to watch the Force's and Capps?

The spectacle of the sport will sell-itself, and the casual viewer will become regular fans IF marketed correctly

Careful now... you're making too much sense for "Mr Ghetto" (Compton) to wrap his rather pointed head around...
Old 06-24-2007, 09:51 AM
Glensgages
Race Director

Originally Posted by RacerX70CC
Careful now... you're making too much sense for "Mr Ghetto" (Compton) to wrap his rather pointed head around...
..... my 'optical-data' keeps getting in the way.....

Old 06-24-2007, 10:54 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 139 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I started to say maybe the new owners will make a change but then I realized "Ghetto Boy" will be in charge of the new deal..oh well..
Old 06-24-2007, 10:59 AM
Glensgages
Race Director

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dice
I started to say maybe the new owners will make a change but then I realized "Ghetto Boy" will be in charge of the new deal..oh well..
..... at the last National Event, a private, drivers/owners-only meeting was held to discuss the new deal with HD Partners:
when the question was asked if 'One-For-the-Road' would still be in-charge, and he said he would, plain-speaking independent Funny Car owner/driver Jim Head walked out of the meeting, and dead-panned:
"I need to be working on my car....."

Get notified of new replies

To NHRA TV Coverage....

Quick Reply: NHRA TV Coverage....