Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Wally race report...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 11:52 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Default Wally race report...

Went to the Wally race at Sunshine Drag Stip tonight.. Raced my '92 as I didn't find a crew member to drive one of my cars to the track. Would've been great if I would've been able to race both cars..
Lots of forum members went to the race. Fuzzy Dice, 96 Collector, Dino Ramirez, Craig (s383) and others..
Fuzzy Dice's car, the Yukon King ran surprisingly fast, running .7 faster than his previous best.. The Yukons previous best was about 11.70 but tonight it ran a new best of 10.97 on the brakes.. He ran 11.07, 11.04 and then dialed 10.02 and broke out when running 10.97.. 96 Collector (Rick) won his first round and I don't know how far he got as I lost early and left..
My 2 time runs were 9.33 and 9.36 with .003 and .011 r/t's... I dialed 9.34 and the car ran 9.19... Back to the typical C4 inconsistency.. I bought back and had a .011 red light. Ran 9.17 on my 9.19 dial on that run..
Dino lost in the first round and didn't buy back.. Not sure about Craig and Kevin..

Last edited by GrandSportC3; 06-20-2008 at 11:56 PM.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:09 AM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

I am working-on getting pictures ready for posting, but it may-be until tomorrow until I am ready:
I got pictures of most of our group, except Ollie, whom I missed when somebody stepped in-front of me during his 2nd time-shot.

While en-route home from the track, Dan realized he recently changed the plugs in the King, which may account for the dramatic performance increase:
after running 11.08 & 11.04 in time-shots, it ran 10.97x on the binders

One picture that is ready for posting is this view of a Corvette-racer's enclosed trailer logo, in Gold-leaf

it is very pretty, and my picture doesn't do the graphics justice.

Last edited by Glensgages; 06-21-2008 at 12:15 AM.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:29 AM
Beach Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry I could not make it to see you guys, Looking forwards to the pics nd Fuzzy's colorful report.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:02 AM
Glensgages
Race Director

caged, tubbed, and straight-axle'd, the way a Corvette for the strip oughta-be

Red-is-for-racin'

non-descript Buick ran 6.55 in the 1/8-mile

a pair of heavy-hitters from the HPS Corvette Series at Moroso, Richard Mortell in his Silver C4, and Dino Ramirez, with his back-up Z28, made the trip across-state, and lined-up against each-other for the 2nd set of time-runs

2007 RevXtreme Corvette Series Champion Craig Gingerich competed with his 7-second '69 Camaro, and was a First Round Runner-Up, despite a .009-Reaction Time

a 'regular-suspect' near the top of the Points-standings at Sunshine, Kevin Roberts

Three-tons-o'-fun, the Yukon King

Changing the planet's rotation on a launch

Old 06-21-2008, 09:01 AM
TLewis4095
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 06-21-2008, 10:56 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Glensgages
caged, tubbed, and straight-axle'd, the way a Corvette for the strip oughta-be

Red-is-for-racin'

non-descript Buick ran 6.55 in the 1/8-mile

a pair of heavy-hitters from the HPS Corvette Series at Moroso, Richard Mortell in his Silver C4, and Dino Ramirez, with his back-up Z28, made the trip across-state, and lined-up against each-other for the 2nd set of time-runs

2007 RevXtreme Corvette Series Champion Craig Gingerich competed with his 7-second '69 Camaro, and was a First Round Runner-Up, despite a .009-Reaction Time

a 'regular-suspect' near the top of the Points-standings at Sunshine, Kevin Roberts

Three-tons-o'-fun, the Yukon King

Changing the planet's rotation on a launch

Great pics Glen!!
Old 06-21-2008, 11:55 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 302 Likes on 136 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Great pics Glen...too bad you did not get one of the custom graphics you painted on my rear window...he he...

Well, my Camaro won't be ready till next week so I decided to run the Yukon King one more time...it gave me a chance to see some old friends, as well...I picked up Glen on my way over and we cruised in ice cold comfort wrapped in corinthian leather...lol...

Like Oiliver said, my first time shot was 11.08 and my second was 11.04....I was befuddled since my normal time is 11.70's...my R/T's were awful with a red and a snoozer...I kept trying to figure out why I ran so fast but nothing reaaly popped up other than the plugs and they could not be worth that much!...

BTW, the air was Africa hot and Brazil humid as usual...DA was over +3000 but the drinks were cold, the company was good and the Yukon provided a cool cave between rounds for four of us, at least...

They called us up for the first round of elims and we all tried to avoid racing each other...unfortunately Rick ended up against Craig...Rick had a nice .021 light but Craig put it on him with a .009...Craig was ahead but threw out the anchor and gave back the stripe to Rick...hate when that happens..grrrrr.....

Dino ran off his number to go out, Kevin won, Oliver broke out big time and then there was the King....I ran 11.04 in my second time shot so I dialed 11.04...then I heard a bunch of folks breaking out so I dropped it to 11.02...I lined up with a young lady in an older mustang...she was dialed 8.58....I left first, of course, and felt OK about my light...I got near the traps and could see she was not going to reach me...I pounded the binders and that 6500 pound Yukon looked like a submarine on an emergency dive...aaaaahhhoooooogaaaaah....front way down and butt way up in the air..thank goodness for ABS...

Anyway, we go through the traps and her win light comes on...WTF?...yup, as usual, my car did not run the number..it went 10.97 heavy on the brakes...fooey!...I did tree her by a little with a .057 light to her .077...I sure hope my camaro is consistent because this is really getting old...

I did realize why my first two lights were off..I was listening to the announcer on the radio which I normally never do while racing...I shut the radio off prior to my first round....not a great light but much better...

It was a long day (12 hours door to door) but lots of fun as always...Rick and Dino are going down to Bradenton tonight to race for another Wally...good luck guys...I am heading over to Orlando Speedworld for a Summit points event tonight...the King better act right for me...lol...

I dropped my Camaro off at my engine shop this morning at 10 AM...should be running next week...oh yeah, I finally solved the mystery as to why I ran so much faster last night...

When I got home I pulled some old slips of 1/8 mile times for the Yukon...turns out I was way off on what I thought it used to run...it wasn't running 11.70's it was running 10.70's...sheesh...a full second off...turns out the truck ran what it should have on a hot humid night...memory is a bitch when you get to be an old fart, right Mike?....
Old 06-21-2008, 12:12 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Originally Posted by GrandSportC3
Great pics
I'll try to get back-over to Sunshine or BMP sometime when you have the Blue-car, and get some decent pix of your car from 3/4-behind at ground-level with the wheels-up.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:41 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

I'll try to get back-over to Sunshine or BMP sometime when you have the Blue-car, and get some decent pix of your car from 3/4-behind at ground-level with the wheels-up.
I might not race the blue car before fall/winter again.. I might make it to one Wednesday Test&Tune to work on my nitrous setup to make my nitrous come in immediately.. Right now, it's 1 second delayed..
Old 06-21-2008, 12:43 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Just called the track (Bradenton) and they cancelled the afternoon race.. Too much rain
Old 06-21-2008, 12:45 PM
s383s
Pro

I bought back, then made it down to 6 cars before I choked.
Thanks for the pics Glen
Old 06-21-2008, 12:50 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Originally Posted by GrandSportC3
Just called the track (Bradenton) and they cancelled the afternoon race.. Too much rain
not-surprising..... been BOOMING here in Lakeland for an hour now:
too-bad Rich & Dino ended-up paying for a hotel-room.

Originally Posted by s383s
I bought back, then made it down to 6 cars before I choked.

You were a driving-fool last-night!
Old 06-21-2008, 12:52 PM
s383s
Pro

I am working-on getting pictures ready for posting, but it may-be until tomorrow until I am ready:
I got pictures of most of our group, except Ollie, whom I missed when somebody stepped in-front of me during his 2nd time-shot.

While en-route home from the track, Dan realized he recently changed the plugs in the King, which may account for the dramatic performance increase:
after running 11.08 & 11.04 in time-shots, it ran 10.97x on the binders

One picture that is ready for posting is this view of a Corvette-racer's enclosed trailer logo, in Gold-leaf

it is very pretty, and my picture doesn't do the graphics justice.
That trailer is Bruce Littler's who also raced the cc
Old 06-21-2008, 01:16 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

not-surprising..... been BOOMING here in Lakeland for an hour now:
too-bad Rich & Dino ended-up paying for a hotel-room.

2 years ago, I trailered the '68 up to South Carolina for the National Corvette Challenge and it got rained out.. 16 hours total trip with the truck pulling the trailer and 2 nights in the hotel.. for nothing..
Old 06-21-2008, 02:09 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by s383s
That trailer is Bruce Littler's who also raced the cc
From that logo it looks like eh throws out the anchor as much as I do..
Old 06-21-2008, 02:18 PM
s383s
Pro

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dice
From that logo it looks like eh throws out the anchor as much as I do..
He owns a gift shop at a marina
Old 06-21-2008, 02:25 PM
Beach Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sure, while you guys are having fun racing, I'm working and sanding my a$$ off on the 66. Planning on going to Ecklers Monday for the frt clip. Fuzzy, how far are you from Titusville?

Thanks for the pic's Glen, the red Z should help get you motivated.

Craig/Ollie, good to see you guys still running, hope to see you later this year.

Get notified of new replies

To Wally race report...

Old 06-21-2008, 07:54 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

I am about 50 minutes or so from Titusville, RJ...come fall we should all have our race cars up and running so we can have some fun!....
Old 06-22-2008, 08:15 PM
96collector
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Good to see everybody at the track Graig Dan Glen Olivier you guys are fun to hang around with. Went out in my third round I lost by 1000th of a second unbelievable but had a good time anyway. I left on Saturday went to Lake placid so they didn't charge me for the motel room. Until bradenton in August 16 I will get my wally then....Rick...
Old 06-23-2008, 12:09 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by 96collector
Good to see everybody at the track Graig Dan Glen Olivier you guys are fun to hang around with. Went out in my third round I lost by 1000th of a second unbelievable but had a good time anyway. I left on Saturday went to Lake placid so they didn't charge me for the motel room. Until bradenton in August 16 I will get my wally then....Rick...

Good to see you guys as well...been a long time...btw, the Wally race in Orlando is on November 21st this year...it is part of the Night of Fire event..lots of fun and a huge crowd shows up...y'all ought to come up...here is the flyer from lst year...

http://www.speedworlddragway.com/nightoffire/

Quick Reply: Wally race report...