Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Best rear tires?.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 09:18 AM
lodilobo
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Best rear tires?.....

I have an '01 Z06 w/ 580 rwhp, 3.42 rear. I am using m/t drag radials, 315/30R18's. I can't bring the car out well....my best 1/4 mile time is 12.0 @ 128 mph. I am about to upgrade the clutch and install hardened diff. shafts. Can anyone recommend the best combination of tires / wheels to make this thing hook? My 60' times are around 2.40. Thanks.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 276 Likes on 233 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

For drag racing I run a CCW drag pack with regular ET Streets 26x11.5x16. That is about the best tire you are going to get under the car to hook without mini tubing.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:51 PM
undertaker
Race Director

Location: ECS : WTF did you break now and HTF did you break it this time
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lodilobo
I have an '01 Z06 w/ 580 rwhp, 3.42 rear. I am using m/t drag radials, 315/30R18's. I can't bring the car out well....my best 1/4 mile time is 12.0 @ 128 mph. I am about to upgrade the clutch and install hardened diff. shafts. Can anyone recommend the best combination of tires / wheels to make this thing hook? My 60' times are around 2.40. Thanks.
um.....I've pulled high 1.50's on the MT drag radials (275 somethin on 17's) with my 427 NA car with 3.42's haven't run the boost car on them. Are you dropping the pressure to like 16 pounds and slipping the clutch out hard? you have more than a respectable mph...and you're loosing at least half a second on the start.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:20 PM
lodilobo
Instructor

I've tried coming out hard....coming out easy....even coming out easy, then nailing it, breaks the m/t's loose to where I have to let off to regain any traction. If I could solve the lost time in the 60', based on that mph, I would think I would end up somewhere in the 10's. Do you have a line lock or anything to help heat up the tires?
Old 10-01-2008, 02:45 PM
N4cer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you doing a good 10sec+ burnout?
Using VHT?

If you're easy on the burnout and not using VHT, you just aren't using your tires.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:56 PM
undertaker
Race Director

Location: ECS : WTF did you break now and HTF did you break it this time
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by N4cer
Are you doing a good 10sec+ burnout?
Using VHT?

If you're easy on the burnout and not using VHT, you just aren't using your tires.
yeah you always need a burnout!!

I have VHT in the trailer for those really ****ty days, but honestly I usually don't bother.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:17 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

I've tried coming out hard....coming out easy....even coming out easy, then nailing it, breaks the m/t's loose to where I have to let off to regain any traction. If I could solve the lost time in the 60', based on that mph, I would think I would end up somewhere in the 10's. Do you have a line lock or anything to help heat up the tires?

I have a line lock on my car. I have the Cartek piece and it definitely helps. Without the line lock I use to have trouble getting enough heat into the tires. If it helps any I run a twin disk ram clutch and there is little room to slip it. I often just come of the clutch as slow as I can anywhere from 3500-5000 rpms depending on how the track is hooking.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:35 PM
lodilobo
Instructor

Thanks......I may go with a line lock....my burn outs suck......that may be the solution. I still have the stock clutch in the car, so before I get really serious about trying to launch the car, I should probably go with a good clutch (Textralia?) and the hardened shafts.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:07 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

Thanks......I may go with a line lock....my burn outs suck......that may be the solution. I still have the stock clutch in the car, so before I get really serious about trying to launch the car, I should probably go with a good clutch (Textralia?) and the hardened shafts.

I would not replace the clutch until it is worn out. There is no point in paying to have it replaced only to burn up a new clutch. I would get the line lock and practice with the old clutch. Just expect to need a new one down the line some where. My personal experience with clutch was I would replace them every year with around 18,000 miles. Until I got my Ram twin disk. That clutch is going good with over 2 years of service on it now. It is a bigger investment initial, but with every passing year I save the labor costs of a clutch swap.

Oh and as for the rear end. Just make sure you are not wheel hopping and you will be good for a while. I know I am on my 3rd rear end now. I should have waited until I broke my first one to replace it, but I upgraded it out of caution. The sad part is the rear end I broke was the built one.

Last edited by Sigforty; 10-02-2008 at 09:09 AM. Reason: rear end info
Old 10-02-2008, 12:16 PM
C5Sweden
Instructor

Managed 1,429 60 foot time with my 275 - 17" M/T Drag Radials, however that only works on really good tracks but on a good track you can do 1,4XX 60 foot times all day long.

I have now switched to M/T ET Streets 28" x 11,5 - 16 to be able to hook at tracks that are'nt that good.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:51 PM
lodilobo
Instructor

So....just go ahead and practice hole shots with the stock Z06 clutch until I burn it up?.....I like that idea. The car only has 7000 miles on it, so maybe I can make the new clutch a winter project. Any recommendations on the line lock? I found a few at Summit...they seem pretty inexpensive. I haven't experienced any wheel hop...so maybe the rear end will be o.k. for a while, too. 1.4xx 60' times?....that's crazy....I can't even manage that in my pro street '66 Nova, with 33 x 16.5 M/T slicks and TH 400. I am consistently in the 1.50's, though. It's so much easier with an automatic trans. w/ line lock or trans. brake. Thanks for the input.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:06 PM
C5Sweden
Instructor

So....just go ahead and practice hole shots with the stock Z06 clutch until I burn it up?.....I like that idea. The car only has 7000 miles on it, so maybe I can make the new clutch a winter project. Any recommendations on the line lock? I found a few at Summit...they seem pretty inexpensive. I haven't experienced any wheel hop...so maybe the rear end will be o.k. for a while, too. 1.4xx 60' times?....that's crazy....I can't even manage that in my pro street '66 Nova, with 33 x 16.5 M/T slicks and TH 400. I am consistently in the 1.50's, though. It's so much easier with an automatic trans. w/ line lock or trans. brake. Thanks for the input.
I have made about 15 passes at 1,4xxx 60 foot with those tires, high stall converter 4200 rpm, 3:42 gears, 150 shot nitrous directly off the line and rebuilt auto tranny, 6.60 at 201 meters
Old 10-02-2008, 05:19 PM
Brian Tooley C5
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 427 just went 10's N/A with the M/T 275/40/17 ET Street Drag Radials on old 11" ZR1 rims, they will spin on a poor track though. I do have a line lock, but I didn't have to do much burnout on a good track.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

So....just go ahead and practice hole shots with the stock Z06 clutch until I burn it up?.....I like that idea. The car only has 7000 miles on it, so maybe I can make the new clutch a winter project. Any recommendations on the line lock? I found a few at Summit...they seem pretty inexpensive.
There are two kits if you want a drop in piece. I know Cartek sells one for about 250 dollars. I personally have this one because at the time they were the only people with a nice drop in kit. It is definitely the the best looking kit for a line lock install. You could make one cheaper if you want to bend your own lines. I understand now they have a kit made by FastBird that is about 150 dollars. Here is a link to Ls1tech and a post they recently have about line locks. http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=994493
Old 10-04-2008, 07:52 AM
lodilobo
Instructor

Thanks for that info....I picked a b&m unit up at Summit yesterday. The solenoid kit, the install kit, and the metric fittings....3 separate pieces. All cost a total of $130.00. I'm not impressed with this stuff.....I will check out the 2 that you mentioned, maybe return this stuff to Summit. Thanks again.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:52 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Thanks for that info....I picked a b&m unit up at Summit yesterday. The solenoid kit, the install kit, and the metric fittings....3 separate pieces. All cost a total of $130.00. I'm not impressed with this stuff.....I will check out the 2 that you mentioned, maybe return this stuff to Summit. Thanks again.
Corvette Forum Vendor.

Nice Unit / Good Price.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ight=lock+line

Get notified of new replies

To Best rear tires?.....

Quick Reply: Best rear tires?.....