Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

When to replace your rear drag tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 09:18 AM
digivex
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default When to replace your rear drag tires?

I got home from the track yesterday and heard the psssst of an air leak in one of my rear drag tires: They are M&H Racemaster bias 26x11.5-16. So, I jacked up the car, found a small hole and plugged it. It was from a small pebble that was stuck in the rubber. Then, I put air back in the tire. Then, I hear another psssst. So, I grabbed the soap and sprayed the tire near where I just patched it… only to find about 20 little holes making bubbles, just in that one area

Needless to say, I didn’t patch them and just backed the car into the garage.

I guess that it’s time for a new set of tires, which I happen to have in the garage. It would cost me more in plugs to patch each of the holes than tires themselves – unless these tires somehow magically plug themselves up.

Has anyone else encountered this type of massive mini holes? I started running on these tires last year in September… I thought [hoped] that they might last a bit longer than they have.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:44 AM
REDGAR
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

how many passes on them?
not many using that tire so I am not familiar.

I have have gotten 80-100 on ET streets and ET street radial.

Basically if you feel you are still consistent with them keep but in your case with those holes sounds like they should be replaced.

By the way, thanks for the birthday cigar
Old 06-07-2009, 10:02 AM
digivex
Drifting

Originally Posted by REDGAR
how many passes on them? ... By the way, thanks for the birthday cigar
Not sure number of passes since I've been attending various events and never quite kept track.

These tires were recommended to me by CCW when I purchased the drag pack, based on the specs for my car. They have consistently hooked-up in all kinds of temps and I'm happy with them... It's also interesting to not see another car at the track running the same tires as me. But, they didn't seem to last as long as others - They must have very little rubber left if I'm seeing all these mini holes (most from just pebbles puncturing the tire).

On the other topic: Better than the cigar, how about that Pro 10 round #3... Was that a birthday gift? But, seriously... Hope you enjoyed the day and congrats on making a #2 (runner-up that is) and, better yet, points leader

Thanks
Old 06-07-2009, 01:25 PM
REDGAR
Team Owner

Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

Most people got and respected "the memo". Thanks
Old 06-07-2009, 01:31 PM
digivex
Drifting

Next time, I "may" consider it... Just keep in mind that I have a birthday coming up very close to the next Pro 10 (six days later)

As for the tires... Strange: I went out to take a look this morning, expecting to find them flat and they're not Do these things heal themselves?
Old 06-19-2009, 02:18 PM
VettesandZs
Pro

If they have meat left and are still hooking you can put tubes in them. I like tubes because that kind of small hole in only the tire won't matter and it gives me another lever of safety.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:44 PM
digivex
Drifting

I was thinkning about tubes, but CCW recommended that I not run tubes in them - can't recall the reason - maybe someone else here might know why (?)

But, anyway... after another day in the garage, they went totally flat.

I just replaced them with Mickey Thompson ET Streets: 26x11.5-16 LT Bias. It will be interesting to see how these compare to the M&H rears.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:53 AM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by digivex
I was thinkning about tubes, but CCW recommended that I not run tubes in them - can't recall the reason - maybe someone else here might know why (?)
Dave by Friend, I heard the valve stem location on the CCW rims don't line up very well with the inner tube stems.

Last edited by 4DRUSH; 06-20-2009 at 06:35 AM.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:08 AM
sixspdvet
Pro

I have run the M&H tires with tubes for 4 years. Never had a problem with the valve stem alignment, you do however have to drill the hole out for them to fit, but that is just the size of the stem..
Anyway after 75 to 100 runs they will start to lose some grip...they will also get hard after 2 seasons...

So you were close anyway....
Ernie
Old 06-21-2009, 10:14 AM
digivex
Drifting

Thanks, that explains it

Jay... again with the "by friend" - I am starting to get worried

Before installing the new M/T rears, I had ordered another set of M&H's (26.00 x 11.50-16, Bias-Ply, HB-11 Compound). When they arrived, one had white letters and the other looked as if someone spray painted it. So, I contacted Summit Racing (where I purchased them) to ask what happened. They were unaware of the difference until they got my email and checked into it. Apparently M&H was recently bought out by Coker Tire who changed the design to black walls. So, Summit had mixed inventory, including some that were shot with a spray, and did not realize it until they got my email.

They told me they were going to change their inventory to show out of stock until they figured out what changed. They also sent me two prepaid return slips to get a full refund... and they gave me a $25 gift certificate. I'm not sure if they're a vendor here, but that was definitely nice of them.

In the meantime, I had already purchased the M/T ET Streets. So, I've decided to give them a shot. They're mounted and balanced and ready to go. But, before I hit the track, again, I am getting some modifications made to the gears, shafts and converter. It never ends

Thanks for all the feedback!

Old 06-22-2009, 08:21 PM
VettesandZs
Pro

I had a set of MT ET Streets that were over 10 years old (kept inside)and had slight dry rotting, but I had the tubes and were still running 11.60's with a 1.60 60ft.

They had meat left and I didn't even have to do much of a burnout.

Now granted, I would not have run them at that age without tubes.

Get notified of new replies

To When to replace your rear drag tires?

Quick Reply: When to replace your rear drag tires?