Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Cooling additive question

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 04:38 PM
AvidFan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cooling additive question

Last night while reading the IHRA rules to the husband, I got a WTH look when I got to the one that says: No anti-freeze or glycol allowed. What do you guys add to the water in your cooling system? I found one made by Royal Purple and think it's legal based on the description but not sure.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:48 PM
98NYFINESTVETTE
Le Mans Master

Location: 10.70 @ 124mph, Stock Bottom End @ 3620lbs, ECS Racing Team Member. The 1st NMCA LSX Index Rumble World Champion. 2011,12,13 Champion

I use AMSOIL Coolant Boost in my race car to help maintain the coolant temp.

The reason they don't want coolant to be used is because it a difficult liquid to clean if it leaks on the track. The other reason is if does leak onto your tires, it will more then likely cause you to have an accident due to coolant being such a slick/slippery liquid. If water leaks onto the track, it will evaporate and it can be removed quickly from the track surface.

Most racers add an additive to prevent rust or problems with the water pump. Using 100% water can cause problems with the bearing in the water pump. There are some racers that will use 100% water. What they do is drain and refill after a run. This is not a good idea if you are short on time.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:57 PM
AvidFan
Burning Brakes

Thanks. I knew the reason behind the rule and was pretty sure there had to be an additive to use. He was shaking his head NO at even the thought of me running on 100% water while racing in West Texas.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:07 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 98NYFINESTVETTE
I use AMSOIL Coolant Boost in my race car to help maintain the coolant temp.
Redline Water Wetter is another one (and what I currently have in both of my cars) but I believe that the Amsoil Coolant Boost is even better and will be using that next time for sure.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:55 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I use Redline water wetter also. No problems with 1 bottle and distilled water.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:04 PM
98NYFINESTVETTE
Le Mans Master

Location: 10.70 @ 124mph, Stock Bottom End @ 3620lbs, ECS Racing Team Member. The 1st NMCA LSX Index Rumble World Champion. 2011,12,13 Champion

The AMSOIL Coolant Boost - 2oz for every quart.

Hope this helps.

I keep a case in the garage for those that need it at the track.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:54 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

When I got my new motor I was told 1/2 bottle of a water wetter product and nothing but bottled distilled water.....
Old 01-12-2011, 10:47 PM
mAydAy121
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10

Coolant is a nightmare on the track! Water wetter is great though, I've always used it racing.

When I was building Late Model Stock Car chassis I went out with a customer to the first race of the season in March at a very high banked track. A car wrecked badly into the wall and blew the radiator. Unfortunately, the owner had not drained the coolant after winter was over. Two rescue workers slipped, tumbling to the bottom of the banking, one of them even got injured. If its so slick you can't stand on it on 18* asphalt, imagine it hitting your back tires under power.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:29 AM
Vetter 1
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rmi 25
Old 01-15-2011, 09:52 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

FYI for those looking to try the relatively new AMSOIL Dominator Coolant Boost (Product Code RDCBCN), drop me a PM so I can ensure you get dealer wholesale pricing, about 25% below retail, via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Last edited by C66 Racing; 01-15-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:05 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 303 Likes on 137 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I was reading about the Amsoil product...I came across this and got confused?...

"Directions: With engine off and cool, make sure cooling system is filled with selected coolant. Shake bottle and pour calculated amount of Coolant Boost into radiator. Start engine, turn heat on high and run for 15 minutes. Do NOT use distilled water unless mixed with 50% antifreeze."

I highlighted the confusing part....how are drag racers supposed to do this?...

Last edited by Fuzzy Dice; 01-15-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:19 AM
C66 Racing

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dice
I was reading about the Amsoil product...I came across this and got confused?...

"Directions: With engine off and cool, make sure cooling system is filled with selected coolant. Shake bottle and pour calculated amount of Coolant Boost into radiator. Start engine, turn heat on high and run for 15 minutes. Do NOT use distilled water unless mixed with 50% antifreeze."

I'm going to ask AMSOIL's Tech Line that question. I think the sentence above that would indicate that it is okay ("Dominator Coolant Boost is recommended with both racing applications using straight water coolant..."), but I'll check.

Last edited by C66 Racing; 01-16-2011 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:31 AM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Been running straight water for years, ever since I had to drain my coolant at a track in order to run.

I think the rule is anything faster than 12.00 sec can't run antifreeze.

I was told 1 quart of antifreeze on the track is harder to clean up than 6 quarts of oil.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:09 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 303 Likes on 137 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by Subdriver
I'm going to ask AMSOIL's Tech Line that question. I think the sentence above that would indicate that it is okay ("Dominator Coolant Boost is recommended with both racing applications using straight water coolant..."), but I'll check.
Thanks...while checking ask them what to do if one does not have a heater which I don't...lol....
Old 01-16-2011, 11:22 AM
99ZX9R
Drifting

I believe the instructions on the Royal Purple additive I used last season said the same thing. From what I remember using distilled water as opposed to regular tap water along with the additive causes some kind of unwanted chemical reaction. Maybe the antifreeze cancels that out.

I would be interested in the Amsoil stuff along with motor oil containing zddp.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:47 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Subdriver
FYI for those looking to try the relatively new AMSOIL Dominator Coolant Boost (Product Code RDCBCN), drop me a PM so I can ensure you get dealer wholesale pricing, about 25% below retail, via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program.
'98NYFINESTVETTE' above is also an Amsoil dealer, he takes care of most of the people in this area and us Englishtown racers as well.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:29 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
'98NYFINESTVETTE' above is also an Amsoil dealer, he takes care of most of the people in this area and us Englishtown racers as well.
Yeah, he gives us 30% below retail.

Get notified of new replies

To Cooling additive question

Old 01-16-2011, 11:05 PM
AvidFan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 99ZX9R
I believe the instructions on the Royal Purple additive I used last season said the same thing. From what I remember using distilled water as opposed to regular tap water along with the additive causes some kind of unwanted chemical reaction. Maybe the antifreeze cancels that out.

I would be interested in the Amsoil stuff along with motor oil containing zddp.
You can't use the tap water in Midland TX except for bathing and then it has to go through a water softener. You have to stay hooked up after washing the car to get it dry before it spots. So if not distilled water, use just regular bottled water?
Old 01-16-2011, 11:23 PM
99ZX9R
Drifting

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Originally Posted by 4DRUSH
Yeah, he gives us 30% below retail.
Sounds good. I'll be reaching out to him shortly.

Originally Posted by AvidFan
You can't use the tap water in Midland TX except for bathing and then it has to go through a water softener. You have to stay hooked up after washing the car to get it dry before it spots. So if not distilled water, use just regular bottled water?
I would think but there's a lot of conflicting information out there. Maybe one of the vendors will report back with a firm answer.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:05 PM
C66 Racing

Received a response from AMSOIL Technical Services today indicating that the Dominator Coolant Boost "relies on some of the contaminants found in tap water to perform at optimum levels".

Quick Reply: Cooling additive question