Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

MT ET Street Radial II vs. Nitto 555R

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 11:16 AM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Default MT ET Street Radial II vs. Nitto 555R

Several of you guys have been helpful with a couple of PMs... but thought I'd throw this out there before I pull the trigger this week and order tires.

Need a new set of tires (actually all 4). Given that I have most of my "fun" from a roll, AND I want my vehicles to actually make turns at decent speeds, I have always run Nitto DRs (Z06, GT500, Lightning). For _my_ style of driving, these have always worked really well for me. I just slap 555s up front and 555Rs out back.

However, recently we bumped the boost up on my LPE TT Z06, and I'm at 654rwhp SAE... which is closer to 700rwhp now in the cold. My Nitto DRs are just about worn out, and I realize I shouldn't expect them to hook well when the pavement is cold, and the engine is making even more power. At ~600rwhp, they hook great in 2nd gear. Now at 650+, I am not so sure that will apply any longer. Boiling the tires at 85mph on the highway is impressive, but not practical.

Many years ago, I ran the BFG DRs and _hated_ them. They are a huge compromise in road holding/handling capabilities for the street. So I sacrificed a little traction (a lot from a dig, but only minimally, if any from a roll) and have been running Nittos ever since.

So... how is the MT Street Radial II tire? It appears that it might be stickier than the Nitto DR, but not as sloppy as the BFG. I am not road-racing the car, but I want to be able to take twisties at a brisk pace (not race pace... but not slowing down to sub speed limits either). Tire wear is NOT a real concern. The car sees 2k miles a year anyway.

It's either try these or go with the Nitto DRs again.

Thx.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:20 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by WA 2 FST
Several of you guys have been helpful with a couple of PMs... but thought I'd throw this out there before I pull the trigger this week and order tires.

Need a new set of tires (actually all 4). Given that I have most of my "fun" from a roll, AND I want my vehicles to actually make turns at decent speeds, I have always run Nitto DRs (Z06, GT500, Lightning). For _my_ style of driving, these have always worked really well for me. I just slap 555s up front and 555Rs out back.

However, recently we bumped the boost up on my LPE TT Z06, and I'm at 654rwhp SAE... which is closer to 700rwhp now in the cold. My Nitto DRs are just about worn out, and I realize I shouldn't expect them to hook well when the pavement is cold, and the engine is making even more power. At ~600rwhp, they hook great in 2nd gear. Now at 650+, I am not so sure that will apply any longer. Boiling the tires at 85mph on the highway is impressive, but not practical.

Many years ago, I ran the BFG DRs and _hated_ them. They are a huge compromise in road holding/handling capabilities for the street. So I sacrificed a little traction (a lot from a dig, but only minimally, if any from a roll) and have been running Nittos ever since.

So... how is the MT Street Radial II tire? It appears that it might be stickier than the Nitto DR, but not as sloppy as the BFG. I am not road-racing the car, but I want to be able to take twisties at a brisk pace (not race pace... but not slowing down to sub speed limits either). Tire wear is NOT a real concern. The car sees 2k miles a year anyway.

It's either try these or go with the Nitto DRs again.

Thx.
You have a dilemma. You can't have it both ways. A couple of things to ponder.

The MT will be like the bfg's as far as a soft feel and mushy handling. They will hook a bit better in a straight line. You will get the traction you desire for the most part but don't expect them to feel great at high speed turns. The larger diameter tire or tire with the least amount of sidewall will likely handle a bit better too so keep that in mind.

All Nitto's as you know are notoriously difficult in the cold and need alot of heat to get to hook.
Nitto drag radials will also last alot longer than bfg, MT, and hoosier.

So, the nitto 555r2's and NT01's (road race tires) are a compromise in traction for sure but will hook at speed decently and handle great.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:13 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Robz, you are right... tough to have to both ways, and I've compromised something for years. So far, so good... as I said, at 600rwhp with stock gearing, the car will hook pretty well from a low-rpm 2nd gear punch with the 555R tires. The R2s and NT01s are good tires, but not as soft as the "R" Drag Radial.

I would look into the NT05R, but they do not have a size that will work for me (315/40-18 is too tall).

Have you heard anything about the Toyo TQ drag radial?

Originally Posted by robz
You have a dilemma. You can't have it both ways. A couple of things to ponder.

The MT will be like the bfg's as far as a soft feel and mushy handling. They will hook a bit better in a straight line. You will get the traction you desire for the most part but don't expect them to feel great at high speed turns. The larger diameter tire or tire with the least amount of sidewall will likely handle a bit better too so keep that in mind.

All Nitto's as you know are notoriously difficult in the cold and need alot of heat to get to hook.
Nitto drag radials will also last alot longer than bfg, MT, and hoosier.

So, the nitto 555r2's and NT01's (road race tires) are a compromise in traction for sure but will hook at speed decently and handle great.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:19 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I've been driving on 315/35/17 M/T ET Street II Drag Radials up and back to the track for over a year now. They are mushy on turns, I actually slow down as I don't like the feeling. I've run them at 30 psi and 17 psi on the street, and they feel the same to me. I run them because their track performance is outstanding. But I consider them too mushy for daily street use, at least in that size. Well... street use in straight lines is ok with an occasional exit ramp at posted speeds or slow city speed turns, but no spirited exit ramp speeds, that's kind of scary. My 1st gen M/T 275/40/17s were the same. I do find that the Street II's seem to be wearing much better.

A data point for you.

As RobZ pointed out, if you opted for Dr's with less sidewall perhaps the mushy effect would be less. It's an expensive experiment though, unless you have someone local to lend you a set.

I found 555RII's to be fantastic in twisties, as you would expect, but on the drag strip, not a whole lot better than regular street tires (1.8's). On the street they were great for me, but I have much less power than you.

Last edited by Joe_G; 01-17-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:32 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I've been driving on 315/35/17 M/T ET Street II Drag Radials up and back to the track for over a year now. They are mushy on turns, I actually slow down as I don't like the feeling. I've run them at 30 psi and 17 psi on the street, and they feel the same to me. I run them because their track performance is outstanding. But I consider them too mushy for daily street use, at least in that size. Well... street use in straight lines is ok with an occasional exit ramp at posted speeds or slow city speed turns, but no spirited exit ramp speeds, that's kind of scary. My 1st gen M/T 275/40/17s were the same. I do find that the Street II's seem to be wearing much better.

A data point for you.

As RobZ pointed out, if you opted for Dr's with less sidewall perhaps the mushy effect would be less. It's an expensive experiment though, unless you have someone local to lend you a set.

I found 555RII's to be fantastic in twisties, as you would expect, but on the drag strip, not a whole lot better than regular street tires (1.8's). On the street they were great for me, but I have much less power than you.
Joe, this is exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you for posting your observations based on my questions/concerns. I doubt a 305/35 in the 18" size will be much different than your 315/35-17s. Maybe a little, but can't be much. I should probably stick with the Nitto 555R and just live with it. I have no business driving this car hard when it is cool anyway... but I just bumped the power up and was testing it out (of course!!).

I sincerely appreciate the feedback.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:31 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Joe, this is exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you for posting your observations based on my questions/concerns. I doubt a 305/35 in the 18" size will be much different than your 315/35-17s. Maybe a little, but can't be much. I should probably stick with the Nitto 555R and just live with it. I have no business driving this car hard when it is cool anyway... but I just bumped the power up and was testing it out (of course!!).

I sincerely appreciate the feedback.
What a nice reply! Thank you. Happy to help. Wish you were closer, I'd let you try mine. If there is anyone local to you, that's obviously the best way to test.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:46 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Joe, do you (or anyone you know) have any experience with the Toyo TQ drag radial? From the reports I'm reading from the SVT forums, this may be something more along the lines of a Nitto DR from a handling perspective, but offering a little better grip for contests of acceleration.

Again, thanks for your time and help.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:50 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Joe, do you (or anyone you know) have any experience with the Toyo TQ drag radial? From the reports I'm reading from the SVT forums, this may be something more along the lines of a Nitto DR from a handling perspective, but offering a little better grip for contests of acceleration.

Again, thanks for your time and help.
I haven't heard anything on them...everyone I know around here uses M/T or Hoosier.... difference being if they drive on the street to the track or not. Hoosiers seem to have a bit more grip, but I don't think anyone drives on the street on Hoosiers.

But maybe someone else herein will chime in? I'm curious too.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:14 AM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

I've used the Toyo drag radials 275/40/17 and I like them. They last longer, but I don't believe they hook as well as the Hoosiers (in the same size). They are fine for street driving, in my opinion. However, I do not drive aggressively on the street at all. I'm not much of a corner carver - I don't even have a front sway-bar on the car. So, my review is probably not much help...
Old 01-18-2011, 11:03 AM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Capthuff
I've used the Toyo drag radials 275/40/17 and I like them. They last longer, but I don't believe they hook as well as the Hoosiers (in the same size). They are fine for street driving, in my opinion. However, I do not drive aggressively on the street at all. I'm not much of a corner carver - I don't even have a front sway-bar on the car. So, my review is probably not much help...
Pete, the toyo won't hook like the hoosier.

The comparison in question is between the toyo drag radial and a nitto555r drag radial in performance on the street for handling and just enough grip.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:51 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by robz
Pete, the toyo won't hook like the hoosier.

The comparison in question is between the toyo drag radial and a nitto555r drag radial in performance on the street for handling and just enough grip.

And I will probably take the plunge and find out b/w the TQ and Nitto DR. Will report back with my observations once I get some seat time.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:10 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Toyo TQ's are on

Initial imipressions are that these will be very good tires for my style of driving (see OP). They are stickier than the Nitto 555Rs, but they very capable in high-speed sweepers and for having fun on country roads. Obviously I would never road-race with these tires, but I would have another set of wheels/tires for that anyway.

Given they are slightly taller, with a little more sidewall than the stock Z06 tires, I can feel a little more sidewall flex (that may also be part of the design of the tire + the fact I have these mounted on 10.5" wheels...and they are 315s, so there is some bulge). However, again this is not a big deal for me.

In a perfect world, I'd have my Fikse wheels widened to 11-11.5", but that's an expensive proposition, so I will just stick with what I have.

I think those that are looking for something stickier than the 555R in a 26.5" tall DR, but do not like the "looseness" of feel when doing handling manuevers that a BFG or MT drag radial give you... this is a good tire for you. It's probably not as good (although I have not done a smokey burnout to heat them up) as the MT or BFG from an aggressive dig.

But compared to my Nittos (which were just getting hazed badly at 3rd gear roll-ons at highway speeds) the TQ's hook perfectly in 3rd. They also allow me to accelerate hard in 2nd gear. I still get some tirespin in 2nd, but at least I am accelerating through the spin, not just sitting there smoking the tires.

I will go with Toyo RA1s up front shortly.

I am guessing since Toyo makes Nitto tires, that the TQ is the same compound as the new Nitto NT05R drag radial. However, the TQ is the size that is the best for this application (315/35-18). BTW, I have no rubbing issues at all, either with the inner fenderwell or the Z06 brake ducts. I have aftermarket wheels, but they are the stock specs in width and backspacing.

Last edited by WA 2 FST; 01-30-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,070 Likes on 593 Posts

I've had Nittos...but how are the Toyo's price wise???

Get notified of new replies

To MT ET Street Radial II vs. Nitto 555R

Quick Reply: MT ET Street Radial II vs. Nitto 555R