Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

is there a market for a new drag racing series/

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 12:43 AM
l-floyd3
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is there a market for a new drag racing series/

Ive been looking around on different web sites and racing series and I cant find a good grass roots heads up racing classes. That allow modern efi cars such as the s197mustang, new camaro and the new new challanger to compete. Every thing ive found is bracket racing. Im more of heads up kinda guy and This is what id like too see. The big 3 drag race.

heads up factory stock class: with just engine bolt ons suspension mods.

heads up power adder class: with a single power adder engine bolt ons and suspension mods

heads up power adder with engine mods: single power adder with internal engine mods, bolt on and suspension mods.

This is just me throwing it out there. I havent been to any nmra races in a couple of years but every thing ive seen on the web. The stands look kinda empty. I know the economy is in the dump and lots of people dont have the extra cash too race or atend races. So i was thinking how could we get particapation up at the races. chime in and give your thoughts on likes or dis likes or maybe im just way off.
I was thinking of this and posted this on a mopar, camaro and a mustang forum sorry corvette peep's that i didnt think of you guys but i think there is a place for the vettes too.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:53 AM
REDGAR
Team Owner

Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

Are you asking form a racer perspective or a spectator perspective?

Hard to get people in the stands for anything that is not 6 seconds or quicker.

From a racer perspective I do believe there is some interest but it is a monumental task. Other series have tried and failed. Fun Ford went to a battle of the brands setup and did not last a season.

NMCA does something for GM cars called the LSX Challenge Series and LSX Shootout but they are 8-second and quicker cars.

Sounds to me like you are talking heads-up in a much slower range.
The slower cars are always looking for a way to go heads up. If you can make it work rule wise you might be onto something from a racer perceptive.

There is a series down south, i cannot think of right now, orsca?, that has something cooking for late model cars heads up. Do a scan on yellow bullet.

Then there is the MIR Import vs Domestic race that has some decent heads-up rules too. That is once a year and the slower classes are heavy on the import side.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:07 PM
01z0666
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought there was a race similar to what you want...chrysler cars are heavy as hell, they had a charger at mir going 10.50's ... it made almost 1000whp/almost 1200 tq...weighed in@ 4k lbs. GUTTED
Old 05-09-2011, 01:08 PM
01z0666
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check out mir flyer, and I think theres one in jersey
Old 05-09-2011, 11:49 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by l-floyd3
Ive been looking around on different web sites and racing series and I cant find a good grass roots heads up racing classes. That allow modern efi cars such as the s197mustang, new camaro and the new new challanger to compete. Every thing ive found is bracket racing. Im more of heads up kinda guy
How do you feel about Index racing? Some consider it simply 'glorified' bracket racing but many of us also feel that it is the very next best thing to true heads up racing.
It is also readily available at almost every track (in our area at least) for cars running 10.0, 11.0 and 12.0 (many have switched their 12.0 to 11.50 and did away with 11.0 now though).
Run on a .400 or .500 pro tree and not too expensive to build a competitive car, Index racing can be lotsa fun.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:28 PM
Bill Wilson
Pro

There is also the NHRA Unleashed series with its Index Classes that run from a quickest of 7.5 to 13.0 or at least I think that is the range for their Index Classes. I think there are 6 events this year but perhaps they have run two or even three of them already. I have not run in the series but from what I've seen in the media they seem to be getting a good turn out.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:50 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 306 Likes on 138 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Unleashed was at South Georgia this past weekend...the car count was miserable...the 11.0 class had the biggest at 19...11 cars in 12.0 and 6 cars in 13.0.....even worse in the faster classes...they paid full purse which meant in half the classes you won money before even racing...

The economy is wearing us down, particularly pump prices for those of us that tow...from what I saw on the live feed, the NMCA classes had awful car counts as well...

Seems to me that the events with a bunch of different classes are doomed...they cannot keep paying classes with 5 or 6 cars...the tracks that do OK have maybe 4 classes, tops...street, no electronics, electronics and quick...they pay decent because they can get 60 to 80 cars per class...yes, it is all bracket racing except for possibly the quick class....

I usually run about 35 events per year and maybe 10 test n tunes...this year I am cutting back to about 20 events and 6 test days...I will only be taking two longer trips...Jackson, SC for the IHRA div. finals and Jacksonville, NC for the turkey weekend $20,000 and $10,000 to win foot brake event...

Heads up for slower cars is pretty much limited to the import crowd around here...as always in heads up, the racer with the fattest wallet usually wins...
Old 05-13-2011, 09:47 AM
REDGAR
Team Owner

CI VI Drag Champ!

Not to go off topic but the unleashed stuff does not seem to be marketed correctly. For example, i thought it was done. That was the talk over the winter i thought.

There are several late model moppers in the 10's. I race with in in NMCA, a Challenger, that has gone 9.68

Old 05-13-2011, 09:49 AM
REDGAR
Team Owner

CI VI Drag Champ!

Here is a link to the MIR series i mentioned
http://www.importvsdomestic.com/

they have rules and history you can see the et's for qualifying and elimination's for several years.

Get notified of new replies

To is there a market for a new drag racing series/

Quick Reply: is there a market for a new drag racing series/