Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

IHRA...Division II east finals...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 02:19 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 308 Likes on 138 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default IHRA...Division II east finals...

I was at this event last week...normally we race five days from wed. to Sunday...this year it rained out all but 3 rounds on Wed. and full races on Sat. and Sunday....

We were at Carolina Dragway...the House of Hook....some of y'all may recall the National vette races there...well, it isn't the house of hook anymore...track was barely raceable...

My first time shot on Wed. was a 1.68...worst of the year at any track....I dropped a half pound out of my slicks and then got a 1.60, still awful...the previous saturday night I averaged 1.54 in Orlando...

I dialed best I could based on the lousy runs, a 7.32...normally I dial around 7.24 in the heat...btw, it was 93 to 96 every day...DA was around 3900 each day...pea soup air...

I also had an awful time on the tree...my whole team did...we could not figure it out till the last day...anyway, I had an terrible .064 light and went 7.36 on a 7.32 dial...I won on his .009 red eye...next round I put another pound in the fronts and went up to 3100 rpm for the launch...I dialed 7.31 with a marvelous .098 light...got my azz kicked every which way but loose...

We did not race again until Saturday...$2500 to win, no box...I took another half pound out of my slicks and went up to 3200 rpm on my launch off the foot...I had a .068 light and went 7.30 with a 5 on my 7.31 dial...my opponent went dead on with an egg and a .034 light...

On Sunday I had to do something so I decided to take a nice healthy bump in once staged...unfortunately we had no time shots on Saturday or Sunday so I had to dial blind for the bump...I guessed at 7.35...the change in routine goofed me up and after my opponent lit his pre-stage, I lit both by mistake...this started the clock and as I tried to get up on the converter my tree dropped...I got a tiny bump but was only at around 2500 rpm and my fans under the hood and in the car were still running...that is a 36 amp draw...sigh...

I took a wild stab and cut a .076 light...thank goodness he was brand new in the divisionals and went .122...I covered him quick and ripped her on in...

Next round I dialed 7.35 again but staged correctly this time...got a nice bump and left at 3300 rpm...I had a .041 light but ran 7.39, 4 over...my opponent parked and went 4 over but had a .018 tree...bye, bye Fuzzy...

Before my last round I recalled having a real tough time with that tree in the vette deal...Mackey and Bob even tried to help...I finally had to take four bumps to get in the 30's...we all then realized it was the roll out...very long to say the least...

Between the rain, the heat, the gnats and my racing the week sucked...fourteen hours of towing for misery...oh well, that's drag racing...I will have deep on my window before I leave home for that track again!....
Old 09-27-2011, 02:53 PM
kazman
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Well at least your racing. I thought Palm Beach had a lot of rollout. Hope to make it to the Div 2 dance next season.
I will have to remember deep plus 4 in the house of hook.

Something to discuss. I have 2 no power cars that almost always hook. When I go to a track which has more rollout my 60' times are usually better. More of a running start. Perhaps between the humid heat and loose track was the cause of the bad lights and not so much due to the tracks rollout. I did notice at the same track good vs bad air changes have a huge effect on my lights. Early spring to mid summer is a .050 change in my car's reaction. Academic since you figured you had to go in deeper.

Last edited by kazman; 09-27-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:50 PM
ralph
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tough weekend Fuz.

Maybe it's the moon or something, but the last time out i think i averaged about .080 on the tree at leb valley. somehow got thru the first round and then my converter bolts fell out and sheared the nose of my starter Sometimes it's just not your day or weekend in your case
Old 09-28-2011, 09:39 AM
96collector
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

It is too bad that you guys got rained out up their. Thinking about coming up to CFRC for the Friday night gambling race. Let me know if it's going to rain up there. So far the weather is looking good. But anything could happen....Rick..
Old 09-28-2011, 02:48 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

I am planning on Friday night as well, Rick....

Someone posted a comparison of the NHRA and IHRA divisional finals and their payouts...this is one of the reasons I gave up on the NHRA...

Posted September 27, 2011 06:18 PM Hide Post

quote:
Originally posted by Tom RedRX7:
The buyback doesn't bother me, it's the low payout. After getting to ten cars "twice" last year and getting -0- I won't be back to an NHRA final till that's changed.

OMG... I had no idea. I just looked up the purse info for the NHRA Div. 2 Bracket Finals.

NHRA Division 2
$50 Entry
+ 1 Round of Buybacks (How much?)

Super Pro
Winner $2,500
R/U $1,200
Semi $400
Quarters $50

Pro
Winner $1,200
R/U $600
Semi $200
Quarters $35

=========================
IHRA Div. 2 East (12 tracks)
Entry: $60

TOP (Box)
Winner $4,000 & Ironman & Silver Card
Runner Up 1,500
Semi finalist 500
7th round loser 250
6th round loser 200
5th round loser 150
4th round loser 75

SUPER (No-Box)
Winner $2,500 & Ironman & Silver Card
Runner Up 1,000
Semi finalist 500
7th round loser 250
6th round loser 200
5th round loser 150
4th round loser 75

The above does not even mention you get to race a minimum of 5 events at the IHRA deal versus one gambler and one final at the NHRA event...next week in Montgomery divisionals the IHRA runs 2 gamblers on thursday, two on friday...a gamblers and a big money shootout on saturday and the finals on sunday...every race pays over 2,000 to win...

If you are a racer the choice is obvious...
Old 09-28-2011, 03:20 PM
99ZX9R
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^Wow...shame the nearest IHRA track is several hours away.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:37 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dice
... the purse info for the NHRA Div. 2 Bracket Finals.

Pro
Winner $1,200
R/U $600
Semi $200
Quarters $35
that's some crazy ****... at the 1992 NHRA D1 Finals (Sportsman Class, 12.00-slower, no electronics), I made it to the Semis in the Tournament of Champions Race Friday night, then got-down to 11 cars in Saturday's main-event:
I think I walked outta there with almost $250 for the weekend, not to mention the ToC jacket & cap

Not
Helping
Racers
Anymore
Old 09-28-2011, 08:28 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

I forgot to mention I weighed my car at the event...let me put it this way...if I am coming down the track get out of the way...3715 lbs. with me in it...yipers!....it's a tank, it's a barge...no....it's the blubbermobile...sheesh...

Get notified of new replies

To IHRA...Division II east finals...

Quick Reply: IHRA...Division II east finals...