Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Is NHRA making TF & FC a "Cookie Cutter" class?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 05:35 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Is NHRA making TF & FC a "Cookie Cutter" class?

Read the following, and see what you think... to me it looks like NHRA is not giving the engine & chassis builders and room To Be Innovative All engines must be almost EXACTLY the same....

Look at Comp Eliminator or Super Stock, hell even Stock allows the owner/engine builder some room to make some changes and use ingenuity on their cars.. but not TF & FC...

---------------------------------------------------------------------
FROM NHRA

Change announced to rules regarding Top Fuel and Funny Car modifications
Friday, February 01, 2013

NHRA has announced changes to sections 17 and 18 of the 2013 Rulebook regarding prohibitions on modifying Funny Car and Top Fuel components. Only safety-enhancing modifications will be considered for approval and implementation during 2013. Performance-enhancing modifications may be submitted for approval; however, even if approved for future use, it is NHRA’s plan that no performance-enhancing modifications will be implemented during 2013 in the Top Fuel and Funny Car categories. The rule change is intended to maintain parity and reduce the escalating costs of racing.

Only items or components currently approved by NHRA may be used in competition. If a vehicle is found to be using any item or component that is different from that which is approved, including an item or component that has been modified or altered from the approved configuration, then the driver will be penalized with a minimum $25,000 fine and deduction of 75 points. Multiple violations and/or flagrant disregard for this policy may result in additional penalties as determined by NHRA in its sole and absolute discretion. Such additional penalties may include disqualification, suspension or loss of season points. Among items and components that are subject to inspection and penalty if found to be different, altered, modified or otherwise not the same as the item or component that is approved, are the following: injector hats; supercharger cases (excluding end plates); supercharger inserts; supercharger rotors; cylinder heads (intake valve sizes may be increased to 2.470-inches max.); engine blocks; magnetos; ignition systems; data acquisition systems; safety shutoff system; event data recorder; front wings; rear wings; tires; and nitromethane.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:37 PM
REDGAR
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

I love cookies
Old 02-02-2013, 09:38 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

No body watches TF/FC.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:23 AM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 468 Likes on 353 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by mackeyred96
No body watches TF/FC.
This...

If it doesn't have a door, I don't care.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:24 PM
larry00
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still love the series but when I was a kid and there were 250 fuel cars qualifying till nearly dawn to get in a 32 car field it was even better .
It's now just a show with a few stars .

I go once a year and the rest of the time the local Pro Mod and Big Tire doorslammer cars provide plenty of excitement in cars you can afford to race .
Got nothing against the Big Show but it's more an odity than a real race .
Old 02-07-2013, 02:29 AM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 324 Likes on 265 Posts

Probably should call it the Shumacher/Force rule. TF/FC hasn't been fun to watch in years.

I only watch anymore to see ProStock.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:37 AM
Hammer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I wish Pro Mod was on TV
Old 02-07-2013, 10:34 AM
MikeV
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you notice they are trying to limit performance enhancing parts. The reason for this is they still havent come up with a good speed limiter. The numbers they are running are right up to what they were when they ran 1320. NHRA has tested a few things to slow the cars down and still make them reliable but nothing has really worked.

I believe they will be doing additional testing during the year and require either less boost or limit intake size with some kind of orifice and implement it during the 14 season.
Mike V

Last edited by MikeV; 02-07-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:47 PM
sfsvettes
BubbaHut
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Ditto

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Probably should call it the Shumacher/Force rule. TF/FC hasn't been fun to watch in years.

I only watch anymore to see ProStock.
I agree 100% !
Old 02-09-2013, 08:38 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RonSSNova

I only watch anymore to see Pro-Stock.
100% I really watch Pro Stock, and Comp Eliminator..two of my favorite classes, but SS and Stock are also fun to watch even tho they are "Bracket Races" but some of those guys are always cutting .010 - .017 lights...

Pro stock you better have a .015 or better light to have a chance to win !!

Get notified of new replies

To Is NHRA making TF & FC a "Cookie Cutter" class?

Quick Reply: Is NHRA making TF & FC a "Cookie Cutter" class?