Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Track etiquette ..Hoosier Drag Radials , slicks or sames as any other DR?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 09:37 PM
duk007
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Track etiquette ..Hoosier Drag Radials , slicks or sames as any other DR?

So as the title says, what's your opinion on Hoosier Drag Radial 2 vs. every other drag radial . To be specific, we have some "Street night/ test and tune" night around here meant to be primarily street cars, but many tube chassis / " pro mods with a plate " show up as well. They separate them as "slicks" which seem to be race/tubed cars, and "street tired" cars which were true street cars half of which are running some kind of drag radial.

My question is where do you consider a Hoosier DR that has no tread but not much different than a nt05 which just has a couple of lines molded in. Neither are a what I think of when I think of a real bias ply , wrinkled side wall slick. Especially on an 18" wheel on my C6z.

I ask since I'm really not a drag racer, but I went to an event recently and heard some **** talking later in the evening about having "slicks" in the street car lanes, even though every mustang, Camaro ,and mopar was running some kind of drag radial. I didn't hear a peep when I was trying to figure out the launch and running low 12's but once I started cracking off low 11's it seemed like more than a few guys were checking my car out, and I overheard a few comments.

I have no issue lining up with tubbed, pro street chevelles and novas, I was there to have fun , not to prove anything.

I thought, I was in the correct group, but maybe I'm wrong. Where do you stand?
Old 08-31-2016, 12:26 AM
smokinstorm
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by duk007
So as the title says, what's your opinion on Hoosier Drag Radial 2 vs. every other drag radial . To be specific, we have some "Street night/ test and tune" night around here meant to be primarily street cars, but many tube chassis / " pro mods with a plate " show up as well. They separate them as "slicks" which seem to be race/tubed cars, and "street tired" cars which were true street cars half of which are running some kind of drag radial.

My question is where do you consider a Hoosier DR that has no tread but not much different than a nt05 which just has a couple of lines molded in. Neither are a what I think of when I think of a real bias ply , wrinkled side wall slick. Especially on an 18" wheel on my C6z.

I ask since I'm really not a drag racer, but I went to an event recently and heard some **** talking later in the evening about having "slicks" in the street car lanes, even though every mustang, Camaro ,and mopar was running some kind of drag radial. I didn't hear a peep when I was trying to figure out the launch and running low 12's but once I started cracking off low 11's it seemed like more than a few guys were checking my car out, and I overheard a few comments.

I have no issue lining up with tubbed, pro street chevelles and novas, I was there to have fun , not to prove anything.

I thought, I was in the correct group, but maybe I'm wrong. Where do you stand?

Hoosier Drag Radials are drag radials, not slicks. Now they do hook like a slick but supposedly no better than the new Mickey Thompson Pro's. I have the old style Hoosier drag radial in 335/35-17 on the back of my C5. It wrinkles the wall but nothing like a bias ply slick. I tried it because it's really lightweight compared to most drag radials. We cannot go WOT from the gate with them and have them hook. Rolling it out about a half car to a car length before calling on the motor they hooked up fine. WOT from the gate they hooked initially, the front tires shot up in the air and the tires lost traction once the fronts got about 6" in the air. Even with these compromises we got a 1.36 60' rolling it out and a 1.35 60' doing the wheelie and losing traction. That's better than a lot of other drag radials on a perfect no compromise launch. That's why you heard people talking a little smack about you running those tires. We're switching to the 28" Hoosier slick and mounting it on the same 17 x 11 Weld RT-S rim to see how much better the taller tire and more flexible sidewall will absorb the shock on the launch. We've got a PY3600 stall and a high compression 408 with a supercharger so we're hitting the tires with a lot of power on the launch. As far as drag radials go, I'd say the Hoosier is as good as any and much better than most. You're just going to have to listen to a lot lip from those running something else. That lip is called traction envy.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:50 PM
duk007
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by smokinstorm
Hoosier Drag Radials are drag radials, not slicks. Now they do hook like a slick but supposedly no better than the new Mickey Thompson Pro's. I have the old style Hoosier drag radial in 335/35-17 on the back of my C5. It wrinkles the wall but nothing like a bias ply slick. I tried it because it's really lightweight compared to most drag radials. We cannot go WOT from the gate with them and have them hook. Rolling it out about a half car to a car length before calling on the motor they hooked up fine. WOT from the gate they hooked initially, the front tires shot up in the air and the tires lost traction once the fronts got about 6" in the air. Even with these compromises we got a 1.36 60' rolling it out and a 1.35 60' doing the wheelie and losing traction. That's better than a lot of other drag radials on a perfect no compromise launch. That's why you heard people talking a little smack about you running those tires. We're switching to the 28" Hoosier slick and mounting it on the same 17 x 11 Weld RT-S rim to see how much better the taller tire and more flexible sidewall will absorb the shock on the launch. We've got a PY3600 stall and a high compression 408 with a supercharger so we're hitting the tires with a lot of power on the launch. As far as drag radials go, I'd say the Hoosier is as good as any and much better than most. You're just going to have to listen to a lot lip from those running something else. That lip is called traction envy.
Thanks for the reply. That's pretty much what I thought. I've got very little experiance in this world, most of my seat time is focused on seeing how fast I can drive around in a circle, not a straight line. My car should go 10.5 so low 11's isn't even very impressive, but I happened to be one of the faster street cars that night.

I just wanted to be respectful and make sure I was in the right group . It's just like a faster intermediate driver signing up in a novice group during a scca track night in America event just so he can pass guys that have never been on the track before. I don't want to be "that guy", but I don't give a **** what anyone thinks as long as I'm on the right side of the argument.

I appreciate the input.

Get notified of new replies

To Track etiquette ..Hoosier Drag Radials , slicks or sames as any other DR?

Quick Reply: Track etiquette ..Hoosier Drag Radials , slicks or sames as any other DR?