Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Flywheel weights

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 05:47 PM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Flywheel weights

Looking into a Katech LS9 14lb flywheel for my stock trans/rear C6 setup. My old school thinking tells me to use a stock 24lb flywheel but that's from 1980 where you wanted the inertia at the wheels instantly to launch the car. Things are different today, at least I think so, and I'd prefer to stress the drive system as little as possible (since it's stock) and get better response and quicker shifts. Car is deep into the 10s now and don't want to add any more stress during launches just trying to get a little more out on the top end and maybe some quicker shifts. I tell myself not to powershift the car but can't help it and never lift going to 2nd so think the lighter wheel will help there too. Car is not a race car but I want to do whatever possible to lower the ET when it does go to the track, also don't want to suffer streetability.

I'm deliberately not talking about the clutch, only the flywheel, to avoid getting into another endless debate on clutches and only looking for opinions on what considerations, pros/cons, etc... between a 12lb vs 20+lb flywheel.

Thanks guys....

Quick Reply: Flywheel weights