Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

And the beat goes on...and on...and on...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 04:44 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 303 Likes on 137 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by ralph
It certainly seems that you are driving the stripe well and you think your are dialing honest. It also seems, based on the recent results you've post that your car "consistently" goes quicker in later eliminations. As a band aid, you should probably assume you're going to pickup 5-7 in those rounds, but that doesn't explain this significant drop in ET in the second half. Where on the track does your car shift? Did this issue start when you changed tires? I'd have expected the radials to be more consistent, if anything.
My car has a glide and shifts around the 330' mark....I have not checked that in a while...the car has been going under the dial for almost the last year...when I switched to radials it began to go under by bunches instead of a couple like before...I agree completely that the radials should be more consistent...sigh...

I am going to try something at tonights test n tune...going to jet the carb down two or three sizes to lean it out some...I might be running a bit rich so we'll see what that does...of course it is 50/50 whether or not we will run given the weather lately...nuttin' but rain every day...I will report back if I get to run the car...
Old 05-24-2018, 08:11 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

OK, I got to run the car at orlando last night...the air was pea soup, just awful...anyway we leaned out the carb going 3 jet sizes down...went from 88 front and 95 back to 85 and 92...

My first pass was decent going 6.717 @ 101.60...not bad for the air...btw, I was in the water box and the first car down the track for the night was an import who split his tranny case and dumped all his fluid on the track...70 minute delay...sigh...

My second pass I slid in a couple of inches too deep and went 6.79 @ 100.50...oops...my final pass of the evening I was very careful to stage as shallow as possible...I stage at 2600 rpm and sometimes my brakes let the car slide a bit...anyway I went 6.732 @ 101.42..all of the increments were in order on all three slips which is great news...

I called it a night at that point and I am pleased with the result...I watched the temp gauge and no problem there...left at 150-55 and turned off the track at 160-62...no popping when I lifted at the finish line either...I may be able to go even a bit leaner...we'll see...

My next event is June 2nd at orlando...that will be my last event until the end of september...I do not care for the heat anymore...sitting in staging when it is 97* with 95% humidity is not for me anymore..I cook like a christmas turkey...I am looking forward to a busy fall of big money bracket racing though...

I don't know if I am really fixed but it looks like a good start...thanks again for all the replies, folks...

Last edited by Fuzzy Dice; 05-24-2018 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:36 AM
hookedup
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=Fuzzy Dice;1597189752]

I am picking up ET after the 60 and 330' times...the only thing I come back to is my new tires...I switched from 14x32 stiff sidewall slicks to 13 x 31.5 Pro Bracket Radials...I now run 17 lbs. in these versus 9 lbs. in the old slicks...how these radials could pick up this much in the second half of my races is beyond me....I am turning about 400 more rpm at the stripe since these radials do not "grow" down track..
/QUOTE]

Sorry, I hadn't been watching the forum lately. I think this might be part of your answer, more rpm & more HP past the 330 with no tire growth.

Best of luck!
Old 05-26-2018, 06:56 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

[QUOTE=hookedup;1597271721]
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dice

I am picking up ET after the 60 and 330' times...the only thing I come back to is my new tires...I switched from 14x32 stiff sidewall slicks to 13 x 31.5 Pro Bracket Radials...I now run 17 lbs. in these versus 9 lbs. in the old slicks...how these radials could pick up this much in the second half of my races is beyond me....I am turning about 400 more rpm at the stripe since these radials do not "grow" down track..
/QUOTE]

Sorry, I hadn't been watching the forum lately. I think this might be part of your answer, more rpm & more HP past the 330 with no tire growth.

Best of luck!
Thanks...yes, I think the new radials have something to do with it as well...leaning it out a bit seemed to help...most cars are sensitive to staging but this one is nuts...I must be meticulous or I have dialing issues...sigh...it gets frustrating at times but Lord knows I love this stuff...lol...

Stay well, my friend...

Quick Reply: And the beat goes on...and on...and on...