Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

What tires to use on prepped track ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 07:25 AM
Pinski 1
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default What tires to use on prepped track ?

I have an 09 ZO6 w/ H/C/I/E 560hp/540tq that I autox a lot with. Last year I went to a drag race at an airport where the surface was not prepped at all. I ran my autox set up which is 315/335 -18" Rival S tires. I did very well with my only competition being a ZR1 running on R888's and I was consistently beating him by 3-4 car lengths. I attributed my success to having much better traction than everyone else (only one running Rivals) .i got invited to a real drag strip by the guys that run up there all the time which I plan on doing because I had so much fun. But, they told me not to run the rivals on the prepped track and I would be much better off running my stock wheels on Michelin PSS's or my continentals in stock sizes. I was thinking of running my continentals up front because they are lighter and narrower and my rivals on the rear. I also think being smaller in diameter in the rear they will be a lot quicker coming out of the hole. What do you guys think? Why do they think the MPSS (300tw)would be better on a preppedtrack than the Rival S (200tw)?
Old 05-06-2018, 03:03 PM
95vettski
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Hoosier 335/30r18 drag radial

Last edited by 95vettski; 05-06-2018 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:48 AM
lazerlemonta
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Your rivals will be much better. They are now having class races with 200 tread wear ratings. They work pretty well for an auto car but a stick you'll just have to walk it out like a street start. Have fun!

Get notified of new replies

To What tires to use on prepped track ?

Quick Reply: What tires to use on prepped track ?