Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Getting ready for the.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 03:27 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 300 Likes on 136 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Getting ready for the.....

big money event this coming weekend so I ran the Night of Fire at Orlando...we got three time shots on Saturday and elims on Sunday...the weather was gorgeous with our first cold front of the year...the high was 78* with a DA at +1700...yeah, I know, not exactly freezing....lol...anyway, I ran 6.62 but missed the tree with an .084...sigh...on the next pass I red lit but never got a time slip due to a tower mix up...my third run I had a .017 light and went 6.64...that's better so my buddy and I skipped the jets and such and went to dinner and home...btw, all three runs I had a 1.44 short time...I saw it come up on the board on my no time slip run...also, on two of them I was 4.25 to the 330"...I am good to go...

Up early to a serious rain storm...sigh...I call my friend at the track and he says come on, it is dry...off I go for 9AM elims with no time shots....the problem is the weather has changed so much who knows what to dial...I ran a 6.72 at palm beach 3 weeks ago in really warm conditions so I split the difference and put 6.68 on my dial in board...I catch a friend in his "humpty" car, a 70's 98 Olds which is stock...he dial 11.85...he leaves green and I wait forever but leave green as well...I finally catch him and take the stripe going 6.72 out the back door....I was .017 on the tree to his .035...honestly, it is hard to believe we are even racing with all the rain we had earlier and given the forecast...

In round two I line up with another guy I know...he used to wheel my car for the previous owner, lol...I put 6.72 on my window since that is what the car wants to run...he has a nice gen 3 camaro dialed 6.30...I am off green and he follows green as well...I am in the left lane for the first time ever in my car...I switched to try to get on the tree better...it seems to be working...anywho, I get near the stripe and I cannot see him....I know he should be coming on real quick given his dial...I give her a big whomp and a second one....all of a sudden he is even with my rear bumper...then he disappears...oops!...I lead him through and his win light comes on...qwap!....turns out he could not get there so he pushed as far as he could and fed me the stripe...I would have done the same...I broke out bigly going 6.72 on my 74 dial...the problem was my slip showed I was heading for a 6.60...yipers!....where did that come from?...oh yeah, I was .036 on the tree and he was .126...no wonder he couldn't get there...jeepers, what a dolt I was...

At least I got in 5 runs of seat time preparing for the three $10 granders this coming weekend...I will need to tighten up my game for that crowd for sure...big thanks to Mike for his help and congrats to him finishing in the money when it rained out during the third round...he race s a real nice 78 Malibu wagon that runs about the same as me...next stop is the Footbrake to Freedom at Emerald Coast dragway up in the panhandle for those three $10K races...

Last edited by Fuzzy Dice; 11-05-2018 at 03:32 AM.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:30 AM
96collector
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Glad to see Mike got some money out of that deal. Getting excited for that big money race up in Hope Florida see up there buddy. Save me a spot if you can.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:38 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

I will save you a spot if I possibly can, buddy...should not be an issue...bring some warm clothes...it will be a bit chilly...the cars will be flying....lol...I charged up the race car and scooter yesterday...also filled the portable air tank...I'll clean the rig and hit the bank on wed...be good to go then...see you soon...
Old 11-06-2018, 08:50 AM
kazman
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Good luck to you both.
The following users liked this post:
96collector (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 02:47 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Thanks Kaz...I hope to find a kill spot on the tree if the t and t happens friday night...we'll see...lol...
Old 11-08-2018, 09:50 AM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Best of success to you both! Make us proud!

Get notified of new replies

To Getting ready for the.....

Quick Reply: Getting ready for the.....