Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

New Years Nationals...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 08:22 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 303 Likes on 137 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default New Years Nationals...

a sad tale...lol...I went to this last big money event of the year hoping to cash one of the big trailer checks...I did not get one but wait, there's more...my buddy and I towed down to Palm Beach and arrived at 9:30AM on Friday...we got a nice pit spot and unloaded the race cars and set up...then we headed out for some lunch and to check into the hotel...the test n tune for racers began at 4PM so we went back to the track about 3:30 to get ready...this was very important for me since my trans brake developed a hesitation at orlando last weekend...

I was hoping it was a glitch but, no, on my first hit the hesitation was there again giving me a .170 light...no bueno!...I could not fix the problem there so I reverted back to foot braking the car...this raised the same demons I fought and was the reason I went to the button two events ago...anyway, the joint was packed and I only got one more hit...the car went 6.62 off the button and then went 6.733 off the foot...I had a .040 tree...oh well...I put the car up and we went to the Cheese Steak Factory for supper...after a great meal we headed to the hotel for some rest...

We got up early and had a nice breakfast at the cafe' next door...then on to the track for the 8AM opening and 9AM time shot...I could not believe how many cars were there...the final count was 429 racers...sheesh, what a mob!...I took my pass and went 6.734...wow, I know what I am dialing...he he...due to the amount of cars it took until 1:50 for me to run my first elimination round...I lined up with a nice gen 2 camaro dialed 6.64...I put...surprise...6.73 on my window...we both leave green but I am tardy...he catches me and parks it for the win...I was 73 to his 41 on the tree...sadly I ran 6.69, breaking out by a big four numbers....arrrrgh...

I buy back since we are racing for 10 grand...I win my re-run round at 5:49PM...slow going for sure...I race a another camaro dialed 7.24...I put 6.69 on my dial in board...he hammers me on the tree with a 15 light to my 29...I get lucky when he breaks out by one number...whew!...btw, my car ran 6.726...what the heck is going on?...I better figure this out and quick...

They call us up for round 2 at 7:30PM...it is the sheer number of cars that takes so long...I catch a 71 chevelle dialed 7.30...I put 6.72 on my window...I launch .018 red and I am out of the race that quick...qwap!!!!...for future reference I ran it out and went 6.774...how the heck am I supposed to dial this beast?...oy yoy yoy, papa'...we pack up for the night and head out for a lovely Italian meal in Jupiter...then off to the hotel and some rest...the final ran at 2:50AM...yipers!!..

Day two for another 10 grand dawns with beautiful weather...every day was 82* and sunny...not bad for Dec. 30th...we get to the track and warm our stuff up...this should be interesting in that we all are dialing off the trailer with no time shot...I take a guess and revert to the 6.73 dial...I line up with a friend who is pitted across from me....he dials 6.77 on his Nova to my 6.73...but wait...I check my dial before staging and notice he is dialed 6.67...I prepare to leave first...the tree drops and we leave almost together...wait a sec...why isn't he red?...well, I pull away from him like he is tied to a stump...I give my car 7, count them, 7 big whomps and take the stripe...his win light comes on,,,what the fark is going on?...it turns out they miss dialed him at 67 and he corrected it prior to fully staging so he was dialed 6.77 to my 6.73...sheesh...with all that scrubbing I dropped 9 mph and still broke out by a full 2 numbers with a 6.710...my time slip said I was heading for a 6.66/7...good grief!!!...sadly he broke his motor and could not even continue...what a freaking event I am having...

I make the walk of shame again and buy back in...at 2PM they call us up and I get lined up with a nice vega dialed 6.24...I have 6.70 on mine as a complete guess at this point...I launch thinking I am maybe 30 or so on the tree,,,he follows green...he passes me like I am parked and takes the easy win...I was 55 on the tree but he was .008...Fuzzy has left the building...btw, I ran it out and went 6.744...this after a 6.66 the round before...ugh....

Now I have a long wait until the 32 car shootout I am in...I did not realize how long...my buddy and I left to get home made ice cream milk shakes in Jupiter...a big shout out to my buddy 96 collector...he went 5 rounds in his vette...in the third round he raced Charlie Lockhart, a hitter from Texas, I believe...Charlie put up a 21 pack but got hammered...96 collector put a one pack on him...yup, I said a 1 package...he was .000 and dead on with a one...he went out on a .003 pink eye in round 5...

So they finally call us up for a time shot for the 32 car shootout...it is $4,000 to win so I am trying hard with my funky car...it is now 9:20PM...it has been 7 hours since I ran my car...I go 6.721 on my hit with a .034 light...meh....I get paired with Rodney Finchum other wise known as hot rod Finchum...some of y'all may know him from his youtube videos called Fast and Finchum...he is a great guy and a super tough racer....he dials 7.23 on his ford fairlane...I put 6.71 on mine even though it went 6.72 on my time shot...it is 11:15PM now and the air is cooler... he takes off and I follow, both green...I pass him just before the stripe like he stopped at a red light...I am going real fast but there is nothing I can do at this point...I was .014 to his .023 on the tree...yup, I went 6.661 breaking out huge once again...damn this car...Rodney went dead on his dial with a 6...

So, I am done for good and load up to go home...to say I am frustrated and angry is an understatement...my plan is to fix the trans brake before the Jan 12th event at Orlando...the car is deadly consistent off the button when it is working...lol...we plan to freshen up my motor after Orlando...when we pull the motor I will take the converter to FTI to be loosened up a tad...I want to be able to stage and launch at up to 3200 rpm off the foot...I will also have them go through it for anything amiss...something is making the car undialable...

Happy and healthy new year everyone...until next time...
Old 12-31-2018, 01:47 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

Thanks for the great story. Better luck next time.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:44 AM
Turbo Bob
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Corvette Challenge Champ-01
Dragster Challenge Champ-06

Happy New Year Dan. Tough weekend for you and the race car. The car will get fixed. When is the next race?
Old 01-02-2019, 03:52 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 303 Likes on 137 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Thanks Bob...next up is the first points event at Orlando on Jan. 12th...we will have the trans brake fixed by then so I should be OK...my problem footbraking is I cannot stage consistently at an rpm that allows me to hit the tree hard...my converter is too tight...that's my fault and a long story...lol...anyway, I plan to get FTI to loosen it up a bit when we pull the motor to freshen it up...should happen around June...until then I will use the button when allowed and fight with it off the foot...on the brake I stage at idle and leave at 3200 rpm...makes it a lot easier...

I am thinking of heading over to the Southern Big Buck Nationals in Belle Rose, La. in Feb...we'll see since it is a 10-11 hour tow...
Old 01-03-2019, 11:51 AM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Thanks for the recap. I watched some of it online. Saw you make a pass, along with Rick.

Happy New Year!

Get notified of new replies

To New Years Nationals...

Quick Reply: New Years Nationals...