Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Time for another conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2001, 09:08 AM
BOWTYE8
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Mojo
There ae plenty of ZF part places available now.
They only change on hte interior will be the dash plate where your stock shifter is. The ZF will line right up. You get a 4+3 counsil plate and your set.
It all depends on how much you get the ZF complete assm for. You may get lucky and find it all for 1400. The extra cost will be a flywheel and new clutch assm.

All the ZF's will line up the same.
Jeff with his 89 went from the auto to ZF, Shalin did his 93 for auto to ZF.
Everything lines right up no frabricating except for cutting out you factory shifter. The speed sensor is the same plug. The backup light 85 plug will not match the ZF though. Dealer part 6-9 bucks.
The richmond is about 3200 for the tranny and assortes extras, yoke,vss sensor,etc.

You just have to fall into a ZF.
I belive contemp vettes was selling the conversion for like 2500. If you had a 4+3 the saved you about 200 bucks since you didnt nedd the driveshaft or c-channel.
Dennis

Old 07-20-2001, 11:50 AM
Mojo
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, my gf has me mostly talked into the ZF. She says that I've already spent almost 40k on the car making it into what I want, what's the extra 1k to do a conversion? By nature of what a torque converter is (basically an almost constantly slipping clutch) the manual should be more efficient. Also, as I said, I'm sick of replacing autos.

Dennis-
What clutch did you use? How much was it, and how long do they last with a high hp application?
Old 07-20-2001, 12:26 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Mojo,

When you start the Conversion and have questions.. let me know.. I converted my 89 for an auto back in 1996 still running good!!

I used and currently am running a Centerforce Sprung hub clutch and a Centerforce Flywheel to match.. keeps the noise down nd seems to work well

Old 07-20-2001, 04:01 PM
88_vette
Drifting

MOJO,

Do the convestion. I'm on my 3rd, and I do not plan to do a 4th. If this unit goes out I will be putting in a 6-speed. Right now I have about $5,000 in this auto. I have two at this point. I could have done the converstion, and had money left. So spend the money on a good ZF. I wanted one but was talked out of it, and I wish to this day I had gone with it. I like the idea of a direct link from the engine to the rear. I'm tired of slipping converters, and converters blowing up, and everything else that goes with these autos. Like the GF said. What's another 1K at this point. In fact you can find good deals on converin kits. Just have to look around.

Old 07-20-2001, 06:45 PM
Mojo
Safety Car

I just called Contemporary. They want 3k for the conversion sans driveline and torque arm. That's with a *used* clutch and only 30 days of warranty from the time they ship it. Sounds steep to me, especially since I just saw 2 conversions go on Ebay last week for $1,100 to $1,500. I wonder if a T-56 would work?
Old 07-20-2001, 08:41 PM
BOWTYE8
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Mojo
I would not even recomend the T56 . Would be aq totally custum job. Trust me the ZF will slip right into you car. You just have t ocut the center counsil. I had t oas well even wit hthe 4+3. That was setup with linkage bolted to the car.

I am using a center force setup as well. Sprung hub disk .
I belive my centerforce flywheel number is 700104
and the clutch is DF039000.
the clutch setup has been great for me. I would gestimate 150+ passes down the track and last year were all hard launches , Even some nitrous passes.

Jeff and I can guide you right thru this.
Dennis

Old 07-21-2001, 01:01 AM
CORKVETTE1
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

mojo I don't want to sound bad but I would go to a guy who builds hipo 700r trannys they are not the same as building 3 speed stuff and 1 other thing ill bet your TV cable is too loose after you make the initial adjustment with putting it to the floor then tighten it up 2-3 clicks if it has too little throtle pressure it will burn them up quick I have mine in for 2+ years with out a hitch knock on wood and you see what I am running at the track about 3-4 times a month driven back and fourth about 120 miles round trip

Old 07-22-2001, 03:29 PM
crznL98
Instructor

That sounds about right if it includes the pedals and everything else from the flywheel to the tail shaft. I paid that much, but was also really ancy to get mine. I wouldn't rush into it however -- mine is still sitting in the garage after 5 months. You might want to try Vince at www.vetteshoppe.com. That's where I got my stuff. Not cheap, but might be able to help. Good luck.

Keith
Old 07-22-2001, 04:10 PM
AKS Racing
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I converted my '87 to a ZF after the third 700R4 failure in about 3 years. I drag race mine a lot, so I thought more gear and the extra overdrive to boot. Let's do it. For drag racing, I think the auto was a better unit, as you had all the tq multiplication, plus it was not such a brutal hit like dropping the clutch at 4000 rpm. For cruising, street driving the ZF is the only way to go. I use the dual disk set-up, but have already bought the SPEC Kevlar with the Al flywheel.

As for difficulties, the pedals are a pain, the new positive battery cable must come from GM and then be converted (needs an extra pigtail), the tunnel must recieve the ZF opening, but the tranny install itself was not too difficult. I did not have to cut my 85-88 4+3 console cover, because I installed a complete console base out of a 4+3. I was told this would not work, but it worked fine for me. Looks factory, because I have the woodgrain cover that does not show the 4+3 badge.

Bought my conversion from the Vette Shoppe cheap (I buy some rebuilders from them, so they make me some good deals). Also to note, depending on the gear size you were running with the 700R4 (my case 3.30D44), the rear gear may need to be changed. I got TVS to throw in a 3.54D44 with my package, just in case. I currently run a 3.45.

If you do the conversion, I will be able to offer advice as well.

Good Luck,
Aaron
Old 07-23-2001, 02:18 PM
Mojo
Safety Car

I don't have to worry about the gearing, I've already done a D44 conversion with 3.45's. I was going to try to get a console plate from an '89.

I think that 3k is high for a setup with a used clutch and no warranty. Especially since I just watched 2 of them go for $1100-$1500 sans clutch on Ebay last week. The shanty quoted $2600, which I think is much more reasonable, but they don't have any in stock right now! They'll also guarantee that it works.
Old 07-23-2001, 08:54 PM
AKS Racing
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is my belief that The Vette Shoppe will likewise stand behind their parts. They have for me in the past. Lonnie and Jon are both gone, and I think Cecil as well. I think Vince pretty much runs the show on his own. He does a good job of being interested in what you are trying to accomplish and trying to help you towards that end. I would think their combos would be in the $2-2.5K range. Give Vince a call @ 303.493.4016, that area code may have changed to 970.

Aaron

Quick Reply: Time for another conversion