Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

LT1 stroker Engine rebuild advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 03:16 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Default LT1 stroker Engine rebuild advice

Might be rebuilding a LT1 soon. Not totally, just fixing a broken bolt in the crank that requires engine to be pulled.
Questions are, do I need to replace ARP rod bolts on Lunati Pro Mod rods, or are they reusable. Lunati and ARP wont say, funny huh. Reason I ask is I am changing rings, which brings up another question. My rings have about 5000 miles, but its the low tension oil rings I really want to change. Can I just do the oil rings, or do I have to replace them all?
And oil pump. I have the high volume, high pressure version. Should I just go back to a low volume, low pressure or what.
Engine redline is 6500, which is rare due to no track here in Hawaii.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:29 AM
BLOCKMAN
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by steve40th
Might be rebuilding a LT1 soon. Not totally, just fixing a broken bolt in the crank that requires engine to be pulled.
Questions are, do I need to replace ARP rod bolts on Lunati Pro Mod rods, or are they reusable. Lunati and ARP wont say, funny huh. Reason I ask is I am changing rings, which brings up another question. My rings have about 5000 miles, but its the low tension oil rings I really want to change. Can I just do the oil rings, or do I have to replace them all?
And oil pump. I have the high volume, high pressure version. Should I just go back to a low volume, low pressure or what.
Engine redline is 6500, which is rare due to no track here in Hawaii.
I have a customer that assembles his own engines after do the machine work and fit bearings and rings ETC and he has 13 years on his Pro Mod rods and bolts and no problmes.

The second ring is a tapered ring and with only 5000 miles the second rings should only show wear on just the bottom and if the it worn mor then half way accoss you may want to change them.

Good luck with your Build Carl
Old 05-26-2008, 01:07 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Thanks, I thought the rod bolts were reuseable.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Deakins
Burning Brakes

Sorry to come in late on this, depending on the type, rod bolts are not just reusable... You have to measure them for stretch to see if they have been used up. What bolt did you get with the rods? If there is a permanent increase in length of 0.001" or more, or deformation exists the bolt should be replaced immediately. The only problem is if you didn't measure them before you put them in you won't have a baseline to go off of...
Old 06-01-2008, 03:36 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by Deakins
Sorry to come in late on this, depending on the type, rod bolts are not just reusable... You have to measure them for stretch to see if they have been used up. What bolt did you get with the rods? If there is a permanent increase in length of 0.001" or more, or deformation exists the bolt should be replaced immediately. The only problem is if you didn't measure them before you put them in you won't have a baseline to go off of...
The bolts werent measured via stretch, just torqued to 62#'s.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Deakins
Burning Brakes

They should be ok for at least a few cycles as long as you are using the appropriate lube when assembling. This is where most people get into trouble. Without compensating for the additional friction present when using motor oil or other types of lubricants the preload is not high enough. This compromises some of the fasteners abilities and leads to failure. Anyway, as long as you used the ARP assembly lubricant you are good to go for a while.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:31 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by Deakins
They should be ok for at least a few cycles as long as you are using the appropriate lube when assembling. This is where most people get into trouble. Without compensating for the additional friction present when using motor oil or other types of lubricants the preload is not high enough. This compromises some of the fasteners abilities and leads to failure. Anyway, as long as you used the ARP assembly lubricant you are good to go for a while.
Right on. I went looking for it locally today, and got a BIG FAT DEER IN HEADLIGHT LOOK! ")
I will get it eventually, maybe the machine shop I am taking the crank to.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:51 PM
Deakins
Burning Brakes

If you can't find any local, Jeg's sells a big bottle of the stuff; we use out of it for a long time and it seems to keep without a problem. It's not too expensive and you always end up needing some and not having it!

Get notified of new replies

To LT1 stroker Engine rebuild advice

Quick Reply: LT1 stroker Engine rebuild advice